Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Chasle YC-12 Tourbillon

Chasle YC-12 Tourbillon

Morning forum,

Does anybody out there know much about the Chasle YC-12 Tourbillon, a mid 1960s little pocket rocket? It seems the prototype still exists in France, and that two were under construction in the UK, but there is very limited further information. Anybody out there know any more?

FB

One should still be around in the UK at least... I understand it is currently not flying.

What, specifically, do you want to know about the Tourbillon?

Yves Chasle (8, rue Concorde, 65130 Odos) is still registered as the owner of the prototype, F-PMXQ, whose airport of registry is Chavenay-Villepreux, to the west of Paris. However as the given address of M Chasle is in the Hautes Pyrénées département (on the Spanish border), one might hazard a guess that the aeroplane is not at Chavenay-Villepreux and either is in store or has been relocated south without notifying the DGAC! But maybe an enquiry of le Trait d'Union (the French branch of Air-Britain) would resolve that issue? F-PMXQ appears to be the only Tourbillon that is - or has been - on the French civil registers. Maybe a written approach to M Chasle would provide whatever information you seek?

You'll find the basic data on the aeroplane at https://www.aviafrance.com/chasle-yc...rance-9316.htm, https://doc8643.com/aircraft/YC12 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chasle_Tourbillon - but I suspect that you've been there and read that already!

I’m interested because what is possibly the only surviving one outside France has just arrived in my workshop!

Other than a big box of paperwork i’ve yet to go through, i’m quite short on info. It also seems to have a set of cowling moulds with it, possibly ones used for the prototype and then brought to England for use on this one?

FB

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...billon/1825242

Now we know what we are looking at!
    http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

There was 2 allocated UK registrations G-AYBV and G-BGHX. I think Mr Mills use to the fuselage of G-AYBV at his workshop at Eversden.

Very interesting, is Mr Mills still around?

FB

Yes was a few weeks ago when I saw him!

Ohh lovely David, email heading your way this evening!

FB

According to GINFO the other one in the UK G-BGHX was, or still is owned by a Colin Clark in Scunthorpe. It was de registered in 1988.
    Did either of these two UK registered ones get finished and fly. Quite an attractive aircraft, a bit like a Jurca Sirocco but probably smaller. Any photos of the British pair?

I think when it’s 30 years from last record to date, it’s unlikely that the machine is still there. I do believe that the one sitting in my place is probably that one as it came from that geographical area, but not from that person.

FB

The project started at Bessacarr must be a strong candidate.

I have never seen any photographs of either G-AYBV or G-BGHX. To the best of knowledge neither aircraft has been completed to date....never say never!! Mention is made of two others (not registered ) in Ken Ellis's BRITISH HOMEBUILT AIRCRAFT since 1920.
    PFA No: 33-10070 A.J.Watson, Chandlers Ford & PFA No: 33-10105 P.Gladston, Bessaccor (sic).

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    I certainly never saw either aircraft at the PFA fly in between 1983 and about 1994 which were the regular years I attended. Until today I had no idea what they looked like.

Superb, so that’s 4 as possibles, I can start work on going through those. The example I have is pretty complete, but does need final assembly. It doesn’t fit in my little collection, so It will be looking for a home once i’ve established which one it is, what is there, and what is needed. I best get writing to a few people!

FB

Thread Information