Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Spitfire SL721

Spitfire SL721

Just seen on face book that Spitfire SL721 is leaving canada and heading back to the UK

Anyone on here know where abouts shes heading?

https://www.facebook.com/Warbirdapps...78713948806004
    Last edited by R4118; 15th January 2018 at 20:36.

We seem to be in an era of ever-increasing numbers of Spitfires, more Hurricanes ( hurrah !) but almost all other types, especially the American fighters, are becoming less numerous, or even extinct, in the UK .

All warbirds are a treat to see, as is SL721, but it would be nice to think that aircraft like the Tigercat, Hellcat or Thunderbolt might also find their way back here at some point .

Agree with you there propstrike!

If I was the one with the money I'd be trying fund a B or C model mustang and P47 for the UK! ONE I'd love to see stationed back here is a P38

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	384982.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	258352

Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

"Anyone on here know where abouts shes heading?"

SYWELL
    DUXFORD
    or
    BIGGIN HILL
    for my threepence
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Far too many Spitfires, if i had to waste my money on 1, I'd want an airworthy 20 series as they're non existent. But would rather fund a Mosquito.
    Last edited by Black Knight; 21st January 2018 at 20:04.

yeah bloody Spitfires, I would love the money to own one ! a mozzie, now how much = a Mosquito, 2 Spitfires, 3?
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Can never have enough Spitfires in my opinion! Would love to see someone bring in a few different ww2 types! I'd like to see a German type brought over permanently!

I do not care how many Spitfires the more the merrier and Hurricanes and anything else I would like to thank all the owner / operators for their dedication and allowing me to see swams I never ever thought would be possible
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Love Spitfires especially early marks, but would be nice to have a ME109b, only trouble is none exist to my knowledge.

I always dreamed of seeing a Fairey Battle come to fruition. What a sight with the Blenheim!
    pb::

It might be the ugliest single-seat Spitfire variant but it's very original and would still be very welcome here in the U.K. I'm casting another vote for it to be put back into the blue colour scheme it adorned!
    Last edited by kieran9278; 16th January 2018 at 16:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight
    Far too many Spitfires, if i had to waste my money on 1, I'd want a 20 series as they're non existent.
    Spitfire F Mk.21 LA198. Built in September 1944 at South Marston. Assigned to No 1 Sqn (RAF Manston). On 12 May 1947, allocated to 602 Sqn (City of Glasgow) Royal Auxiliary Air Force. Used in the Battle of Britain film. Aircraft is on display since July 2006 at the reopening of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Glasgow.[98] It wears the markings LA198 / RAI-G to replicate the colours it wore during its 602 Squadron service.
    Spitfire F Mk.24 PK683. On display at Solent Sky in Southampton.[99]
    Spitfire F Mk.24 PK724. On display at the Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon.[100]
    Spitfire F Mk.24 VN485. A former Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force aircraft on display at the Imperial War Museum Duxford[101] it wears an all-over silver scheme with a red/white spinner.
    (From Wikipedia)
    Martin

I've flown beside it many times. It's a shame to see it go, but we have a new Mk IX, and the hangar is jammed.

Here's a video of it, taken by my GIB one day...

This is the aircraft that truly launched the VWoC Collection. When Michael Potter bought the Spitfire, and started flying it to various places and events around Ottawa, he was overwhelmed by the response. Crowds of people magically appearing, reporters, airport staff, old men tugging their great-grandchildren and then getting all misty-eyed as the years rolled away...

After which of course he built a magnificent hangar and then filled it.

Dave

Plus the RAFM/Kennet one
    pb::

D1566
    Spitfire F Mk.21 LA198. Built in September 1944 at South Marston. Assigned to No 1 Sqn (RAF Manston). On 12 May 1947, allocated to 602 Sqn (City of Glasgow) Royal Auxiliary Air Force. Used in the Battle of Britain film. Aircraft is on display since July 2006 at the reopening of Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum Glasgow.[98] It wears the markings LA198 / RAI-G to replicate the colours it wore during its 602 Squadron service.
    Spitfire F Mk.24 PK683. On display at Solent Sky in Southampton.[99]
    Spitfire F Mk.24 PK724. On display at the Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon.[100]
    Spitfire F Mk.24 VN485. A former Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force aircraft on display at the Imperial War Museum Duxford[101] it wears an all-over silver scheme with a red/white spinner.
    (From Wikipedia)
    And for completeness the remaining Mk.21 and the surviving Mk.22 examples,

Mk.21 LA226 - RAF Museum, Stored.
    Mk.21 LA255 - 1 Sqn, RAF Leuchars
    Mk.22 PK355 - Museum display, Zimbabwe
    Mk.22 PK481 - Museum display, Bull Creek WA, Australia
    Mk.22 PK519 - Stored, UK
    Mk.22 PK624 - Stored, Duxford. The Fighter Collection
    Mk.22 PK664 - Stored, UK
    Last edited by jbs; 16th January 2018 at 17:42. Reason: Forgot LA226 & LA255
    John

I Wandered Lonely As A Clown...

A friend of mine's late grandfather was the last person to fly her.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sadsack
    Plus the RAFM/Kennet one
    ...and the Seafire 46 LA564 the Naval derivative of the Mk 22, with non folding wings but with stinger hook and contra-prop.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Photos of LA198 at Kelvingrove Art Galleries in February 2009.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0337.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	258369   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0352.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	258370  

Back on topic!
    Photos taken at Deer Valley 1977 where my father re-assembled her after disassembly at Blackbushe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL721 and Dad.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	258371   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL721 engine start 1977 Deer Valley.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	258372  

Seems the original link has now been edited and she's off to Belgium!

My most memorable encounter with SL721 was one Thanksgiving morning in Arizona. I was at Deervalley Airport with Carl Schmieder as both our families did not gather for Thanksgiving until later in the afternoon. It was the typical Phoenix Thanksgiving weather, clear and sunny and 75 degrees, too nice a day to be working in the hangar. Carl seemed to come to that conclusion at the same time I did and asked how long to do a pre-flight on the 6, I said give me 10 minutes. I preflighted Carl’s T-6 N2757G and we pushed it out and strapped in and fired up. While we were taxying to the run up area I spotted a fast-moving shape low against the foothills to the east of the airport and saw that it was a Spitfire turning to make a low pass down runway 25. I keyed the intercom and said someone had the same idea we did, and pointed out the Spitfire, then commented that had we been a few minutes earlier we would all ready be in the air and might been able to join up for some formation fun. We completed our run-up, took off and started a turn to the north practice area, then called Deervalley Tower for a Frequency change, which was given along with the following “ The Spitfire is waiting to the north”. We found Chris Woodson and SL721 and joined up on his wing for a very enjoyable formation session with a low pass back at Deer Valley to end the flight. One thing about the low pass, Chris pushed the nose down and the Spitfire being slow clean just left us as if we were sitting still. Carl push everything to the stops in an attempt to catch up, we topped out at about 245-250mph (VNE on a 6 is 235 mph) so it ended up being a low pass in trail formation.
    I have never had a chance to thank Chris for a very memorable Thanksgiving Day
    A&P, IA, Warbird maint and restorations

Jack, You have Debauched my sloth !!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/shoot.the.guns.of.history

If I recall correctly , a few years ago Mike Potter was able to locate and purchase SL721's original Griffin engine and return it to the airframe. This must make her one of the more original Spits out there I'm sure.

Mk XVI's didn't have Griffon's...
    " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

Website does say that her original Merlin is in place which is somewhat magical !

It is indeed. We were able to do a Merlin swap, and match them up, when we were juggling requirements for the P-51, the Spit XVI, and the Spit IX under construction. It all worked out.

Here's a photo of SL721 from 2009. We were flying back from OSH. The radio crapped-out in the Spitfire, so we flew formation for the 5 hours all the way back to Gatineau. Not the sort of thing you usually see when you're driving and you glance back over-your-shoulder...

5 hours cramped in there ,blimey it's hard enough driving a car where you can stop and have a breather

Oh there were lots of stops, of course. SL721 still has the original fuel tank and that's all.

It's kind of fun: to land unannounced at a little "Washington County" airport in a Spitfire and P-40, pull up to the pumps, shut down in unison, jump out, and say, "Do you mind if we park these here for a few minutes? Gotta make a phone call."

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

That last shot reminds me of the scene in 1941, where Wild Bill Kelso lands his P-40 at a gas station to fill up...!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Thread Information