Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Looking for a picture, wessex towing boat.

Looking for a picture, wessex towing boat.

This is the story as I remember it told, any inaccuracy is doubtless mine.
    Chap I used to know brought a few of his university friends home and decided to "borrow" his dad's boat and go for a sail. Cleared Portsmouth harbour, hard right and slap onto the Hamilton bank. Someone ashore dialled 999 and the Lee on Solent Wessex duly arrived. So the boat streamed an inflatable tender on a line into which the winchman duly descended and came aboard, subsequently removing the crew. When it came the turn of the chap who's father owned the boat he said "Look chum, I could pretty well walk ashore from here and I don't need rescue, how about a tow?" The winchman consulted and said "Well the skipper's game. just don't blame us if it tears your deck cleat out." A tow was affixed and the cuddly old Wessex went chug chug and the boat came free quite readily. The winchman left assuring him that they would not be claiming any salvage since he had never given up command and control or somesuch and any way, they would be dining out on this story for a while. Boat duly returned to mooring and shhhh!
    Then Yachting magazine arrives and there in a full page ad for an insurance company is HIS boat being towed by a helicopter!
    Now this story sounds tall as hell to me but I could swear I remember seeing the picture. I have not been able to find it online and wonder if maybe anyone remembers seeing it somewhere.

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Glad it didn't end up like this!

Somewhere in the loft I've a book called British ( military? ) Helicopters and I know there a photo in that of a Whirlwind towing a yacht

A Whirlwind towing a boat? Almost as bizarre as this...
    Name:  RN Whirlwind with cyclist (1280x794).jpg
Views: 953
Size:  426.8 KB

While not answering the OP's question this 'Viggen Sledding' clip is in a similar vein!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85FxLsHU8us
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

ThreeM, wasn't that one of Duncan Sandys least successful defence cuts proposals advanced in his 1957 White Paper?

Yes, Avion Ancien, this is the mark one version. The mark 2 version brought it up to date with a hard hat and high-vis gear!

That may well be it. The bloke who told me the story wouldn't know a Wessex from a food blender. I assumed, damned if I know why since I well remember the Whirlwind HAR9 from Lee.

Don't forget the Sea Dragon which is the mine hunting version of the Ch53 Sea Stallion that tows a sledge behind it to detonate mines.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GeXrW8NRkHE

The next best thing...a Whirlwind, actually a HO4S (H-19) towing a boat.
    https://www.airspacemag.com/military...oat-180949488/

I seem to recall a photo of a U.S. Coast Guard H-34 (Wessex in the UK) towing a boat in a book I read as a child, but I might be mistaken.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 9th January 2018 at 01:09.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Well I dug the book out, but am I allowed to post the pic ?

Book is actually British Service Helicopters by R Gardner & R Longstaff and the picture is Whirlwind HAS9 '589' towing a 21 ft yacht aground off Portsmouth

Sea Knight towing an Ice barge

And a reversal, boat towing a helicopter

Rank 5 Registered User
    Well I dug the book out, but am I allowed to post the pic ?

Book is actually British Service Helicopters by R Gardner & R Longstaff and the picture is Whirlwind HAS9 '589' towing a 21 ft yacht aground off Portsmouth

That will be the one! If I remember the name "Cohort" was visible on the spray dodgers.
    Last edited by snibble; 17th January 2018 at 22:00. Reason: Screwed up the quote i was replying to.

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Tony, I've seen that Sea Knight pic before, Jeez, foreshortening, perspective, whatever, it gives me the willys!

Thread Information