Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Translate 2017 Aeronautics breakthroughs: what were they for you?

Translate 2017 Aeronautics breakthroughs: what were they for you?

2017 was an unmatched year when it comes to aeronautical news: from new mind-bogging industry achievements to some spectacular airshows demo and unexpected market novelties (and surprises), scarcely Fans like us had the enjoyment to see so much in such a few time.

Please make a short illustrated comment of what was the most memorable event for you during this fabulous year (one event per poster please): scientific/Industrial breakthrough, military achievement (aero only), spectacular aerial shots or airshow demo... Feel free to add whatever have marked you during those days and let's let this fabulous year 2017 goes as it came: full of surprises!

----------

To me, Santa came in June, the 19th: this was the week where our firm belief in the aero design of the much hatred F35 were rewarded with this spectacular (for most unmatchable) demo:

Last edited by TomcatViP; 28th December 2017 at 09:58.

additionally if an admin could correct the text of the header of this thread, I would much appreciate. Thank you.
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 27th December 2017 at 15:07.

2017 was the year that the su 35 outdid itself.

Civilian: MS-21 first flight, definitely.
    Bonus for the Bombardier fiasco.

Military: Kinda ho-hum for me. I guess Qatar and F-15s, just because I like to see 4th gens going strong.
    Bonus for Su-57 flying with its real engine.
    http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/9098/rsz11rsz3807.jpg

@KGB: yes, truly a marking event for the 2017 airshow season. Those mind bogging moves will stay with us as much as were the first Cobra.

For those that need inspiration, DefenseNews launched its own year 2017 review.

To broaden to cover larger aerospace sector, for me, something like 18 or so Space-X launches with 14 successful rocket recoveries sounds like a pretty noteworthy achievement..
    Old radar types never die; they just phased array

F-35 silenced the naysayers at Red Flag 17-1... 21-1 air to air exchange ratio in heavily contested airspace defended by tier 2 representative IADS.

Last edited by TomcatViP; 29th December 2017 at 18:52.

2017 was a pretty interesting year in aviation - not as insane as the winter of 2009/2010*, but quite significant.

It's therefore difficult to single out just one event, or even one in certain specific categories, so I won't. Here's my list:

- C919 first flight
    - MS-21 first flight
    - Orion-E UAV unveiling
    - Gripen E first flight
    - A330neo-900 first flight
    - Izd. 30 engine first flight
    - Bell V-280 first flight
    - J-10 TVC test bed first flight
    - ACAE CJ-1000A engine unveiling

There's also the fact that there are possibly a few landmark achievements which we may not know about due to secrecy (B-21, Russian & Chinese hypersonics).

* over a frenzied period of a mere 12 weeks from late November to early February, we got the first flights of the Gulfstream G650, Solar Impulse, Airbus A400M, Boeing 787, Kawasaki C-2, Sukhoi Su-57 and Boeing 747-8 - frequently just a couple of days apart!
    Last edited by Trident; 30th December 2017 at 01:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident
    - C919 first flight
    - MS-21 first flight
    Lets not forget the AG600

I considered mentioning it, but IMHO it's too much of a niche product (I don't mean to knock it, it's intentionally aimed at a specific, small market and I'm sure will do what it's supposed to) and doesn't move the state of the art forward in any way. The others I listed have far bigger implications for aviation in general or at least in their respective country, either by expected sales impact or innovative technology.

Nonetheless, I've since thought of another significant one that I should have included:

- Okhotnik stealth UCAV first glimpse
    Last edited by Trident; 31st December 2017 at 03:23.

Su24s with dumb bombs in Syria achieving better results in a few months that thousands of NATO-puppets precision strikes "against ISIS". Forces you to wonder who were the real targets of the coalition planes in Syria.

Nic

just what I was saying in the "Rafale" topic

2018 is definitively gonna be... harder [Exasperation=ON]

just what I was saying in the "Rafale" topic
    That we don't have enough dumb bombs to achieve the same result?
    Nic

dumb bombs I don't know, but dumb guys.. plenty! especially in our government

They are not dumb they just don't serve the interests they claim to be serving.

"ne jamais confondre intelligence et instruction".. they made big studies, but knowing some things form their studies doesn't make them intelligent overall

You are delusional because you don't want to admit they are just sociopaths who despise the french people. But I say again they are not dumb. Maybe some of them are indeed, but it would be even worse if they were smart.

oh, I admit that with ease... it doesn't change the fact they are completely outside real world.. but we are somewhat disgressing from aircraft, no?

Quote Originally Posted by bring_it_on
    To broaden to cover larger aerospace sector, for me, something like 18 or so Space-X launches with 14 successful rocket recoveries sounds like a pretty noteworthy achievement..

There were 29 launches [in 2017] into space from U.S soil, compared to 20 from Russia and 19 from China.

The rise stems entirely from the private space industry, in particular SpaceX. Of those 29 launches, 18 were SpaceX Falcon 9 rockets. All 29 American launches were successful, while the historically reliable Russian Soyuz-2 experienced a computer failure. The star of China's rocket fleet, the Long March 5, also experienced a failure while trying to launch a communications satellite.

The last year the United States stood solely atop the list of orbital launches was a sad one. In 2003, when the United States had 22 successful launches, the Space Shuttle Columbia also disintegrated upon re-entry, killing its entire crew. The disintegration resonated within the American space for years.
    Here

J-20 moving to series production?

Thread Information