Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: 214sqn B17 Crash March 45

214sqn B17 Crash March 45

I found a grave of a Flight Sergeant William Briddon this morning,and after a bit of digging online i found he was on a B17 en route back to RAF Oulton when shot down.

Im just wondering if anyone has any info regarding the serial/codes or even a photo of the aircraft he and the crew were lost in as i think it would be a nice base for a model build.

Many thanks

Joe

Fortress III HB815 BU-J of 214 Sqn was shot down on the night of 3/4 Mar 45. It had taken of from RAF Oulton on Window duties and was returning to base when it was shot down by a Ju 88 of 10/NJG3 flown by Lt Arnold Döring. It crash landed on fire at 0051 at Lodge Farm on the airfield boundary. Sgt A McDirmid and W/O RW Church were injured. P/O H Bennett, Sgt LE Billington, F/S H Barnfield, W/O LJ Odgers RAAF, F/S W Bridden (Briddon?), F/S LA Hadder, F/S F Hares and Sgt PJ Healy were killed.

Sorry, but that's not correct. Bennett's a/c was not shot down by Doring who was in action over Yorkshire. He was shot down at about midnight. And there was no 'Lodge Farm' on the airfield boundary. I've recently had the latter point confirmed by the chaps in the local museum at Blickling Hall, next to Oulton.
    Sadly, many books and online articles copy and repeat these mistakes.
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian Hunt; 16th December 2017 at 15:20.

So Döring was on an intruder mission. Was Döring shot-down? Seems quite late in the war for that to be going on; anybody know where Döring took-off from? Denmark?
    WA$.

Hi Creaking

Doring was on Operation Gisela that night - the mass German intruder raid on the UK. He got back safely. He flew from Wittmundhafen.
    Ian

The night of 3/4 March was, I think, that last time there was any significant Luftwaffe activity over the UK. Three intruders were lost - two, interestingly, whilst attacking cars. Last Luftwaffe losses in the UK if you except a defection on May 2nd.

Adrian
    "Snow clearing equipment has been found under snowdrift" - message sent from RNAS Hatston, Orkney, 1944.

Thread Information