Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Information required

Information required

Hello folk, can someone supply me with some information.
    Anyone been to the Mexican Naval base at Veracruz, Mexico, recently, or going in not to distant future, who could investigate the identity of the Grumman Albatross gate guardian on the entrance road on the base. It has s/n MP-102, and has Wright Cyclone R1820-76A-94's, (no intake on top of engine) but it cant be the same A/C that was sold to Mexico by the RCAF (with same MP-102), as it had Wright Cyclone R1820-82's with distinctive air intake on the top of the cowling. Access to cockpit would be needed to view makers plate, which is on the instrument bulkhead in front on the right seat, t the co-pilot's left knee.

Any help would be appreciated or someone on the base I can contact.

You need to be in the historical section, but I will link you over, welcome to the forums

A minor change of engine type alone will not exclude it being the same aircraft. Wouldn't be the first one modified in service, er even for display purposes...

Apparently this Albatross is c/n 454; originally RCAF 9306. It was refurbished by Grumman in 1973, which may account for the change in engines.

Thread Information