Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anglo-French UCAV (FCAS)

I see that but I have to wonder if the delay is actually more to do with not wanting to commit to the joint programme yet, than not having funds for something.

We have just (finally) undertaken to come up with an industrial strategy for the sector, and are absorbed in the F35 induction (a point actually listed by the Dassault chief yesterday). I just wonder if Brexit is one of a few factors as opposed to the only factor which has given the government pause for thought on the next stage. Afterall, the whole process is being stretched out to fit the timescales of both parties- it needn't take another several years to get a demonstrator in the air, but that is what we were told.

I think it's a bit disingenuous to say its just the UK worrying about Brexit that has held up the next stage. Since signing that agreement the French have decided to jump in on the next fighter with the Germans and are also trying to make the most of Rafale upgrades all the way through the 2030s and 40s.

I see that but I have to wonder if the delay is actually more to do with not wanting to commit to the joint programme yet, than not having funds for something.
    You mean, like waiting for the industrial strategy paper to be finished before commiting the money? Yes, could be, its entirely plausible.

I canonly repeat what Trappier said mrmalaya. And he talked specifically about uk industrials being very positive to start demonstrator vs governement...
    My own opinion do not count and tbh i do not know wht happens behind the doors.

Halloweene, personally I think it's better to have both sides working together (if only to make the damn thing more secure).

The project seems to allow plenty of national freedom, so ideally they will approve it with changes that get the demonstrators flying in 3 years time ,

You know that we are talking about a UCAV... a robot. There are no comparaison in cost regarding sustainability. Hence you can clearly get the two design fielded if they are compatible enough: one reco that will be flown a lot and one attack version that will be used only in anger. One could be highly stealthy, the other only have a mix of stealth and EA means to remain credible at a lower price/unit.

...and now the third option of the UK just pursuing a cheaper wingman type UCAV (a la Kratos). This has been around since February as an official MOD tender for ideas and may account for the stalling of FCAS.

is there a direct link to read the RFP?

Halloweene, personally I think it's better to have both sides working together (if only to make the damn thing more secure).

The project seems to allow plenty of national freedom, so ideally they will approve it with changes that get the demonstrators flying in 3 years time ,
    So do I, but who are we?

FCAS will progress according to the UK MOD, following meeting of the two departments:

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/979344954878255105

That plan to build a demonstrator for a combat drone for France and the U.K. has effectively stalled due to uncertainty arising from Britain’s planned exit from the European Union, Eric Trappier, chairman of Gifas, the French aerospace trade body, has said.
    Incredible?

Source (from the news thread - Tango III):
    DefenseNews.com

Isn't that just repeating the comment from a few months back?

We know that some in France don't think the UK deserves a piece of euro action now, in just the same way as some in the UK don't want a piece of the action either.

Some maybe. Not all. By far. What we hear here is more a lack of money on Uk side (of course due to induction of F-35... )

FCAS lives again (and this version of events makes sense):

http://www.statestability.com/2018/0...at-capability/

The UK wants a stealthy intelligence drone, whilst France is after a UCAV, so the two demonstrators are being developed accordingly, rather than the UK duplicating the F35 mission.

agree mrmalaya.

I put this very long article here because it deals with the Anglo-French UAV amongst other issues relating to the UK FCAS effort:

https://www.aerosociety.com/news/uk-...ghter-project/

Essentially, the UK now has at least 2 acknowledged programmes/teams dealing with Future aircraft, whether that is manned or unmanned- separate from the cross-channel effort.

I personally think that the UK will join with another country or countries on the future manned fighter requirement (Typhoon replacement) but produce a marketable UCAV domestically that will work alongside Typhoon and F35 (big export potential).

About maned fighter, some CGI at the end of this picture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3UtJ6u0QL0 from dassault.

Aaah, good for them! It actually looks like some thought has gone into that and you can see why Dassault have been given the lead over that dated Airbus concept/offering.

About maned fighter, some CGI at the end of this picture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3UtJ6u0QL0 from dassault.
    Its the first glimpse in a decade and a half of what Dassault "thinks" of what a "future" manned combat jet should look like.
    Similar to several designs from Boeing and Northrop.
    Last edited by Sintra; 4th July 2018 at 14:50.

Two seater.
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 4th July 2018 at 23:02.

Since Halloweene isn't really accurate, this is the moment he is talking about:
    https://youtu.be/G3UtJ6u0QL0?t=192

We will find out on Monday what the UK intends to do with Future fighters, UCAVs and everything Combat Air....

UK are unveiling a full size mock up of its next gen fighter next monday that will eventualy compete with the Franco-German initiative. They are also looking for partners. The project is called "Tempest"

Thread Information