Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battle of Britain film Cine Film

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Me neither.

It could be that the system was not effective of the shot not convincing enough, of course, but it definitely worked well enough with a Spitfire.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by DazDaMan
    Not sure which of the two Mk.XIXs is in the other shot
    The Mk XIX is PS853 at DX circa July 1968.

Note the cabin blower on the port engine cowling of PS853...not fitted on PM631.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

I recently built the Airfix Spitfire Mk.XIX kit (1/72) as PS853, and never thought of the air intake on the cowling being there or not!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Some of my colour slides from six weeks at Tablada Spanish airbase in the spring of 1968.
    Hamish Mahaddie requested my help servicing air radio equipment.

https://postimg.org/gallery/1r1ahcb7g/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spanish Air force & Confederate A F pilots morning briefingXX.jpg 
Views:	641 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	256871
    Spanish Air force & Confederate A F pilots morning briefing
    Last edited by Sim; 10th November 2017 at 00:48.

Brilliant stuff ! Welcome to the forum Sim. This B of B material is greatly appreciated here.

That is a really atmospheric shot, and I have not seen any quite like it. Probably Connie Edwards in one of the cowboy hats, and John Blake ( wartime injury to arm) hosting the briefing.

Any more you can share ?
    Last edited by Propstrike; 10th November 2017 at 13:32.

Connie's the one on the right.

Simon,

I doubt there has been a finer opening post during the lifetime of this forum.

Nice to see them again since I tidied them up for DavidL.

Thank you for posting.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

I love the colour scheme on the B25. I am assuming the red and green are for port and starboard to help with quick identification and positioning for pilots - particularly in the scenes of massive mayhem, when brief glances at all that can be afforded at best?

I showed the film to my 3 year old the afternoon before his first Flying Legends airshow earlier this year. He is now fascinated by any aircraft with "windmills" on the front...

Post of the millennium! thank you so much this is fantastic to see I never get bored of BoB film shots
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Is this the Shuttleworth Hurricane? https://postimg.org/image/6ilmxv89u3/
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Awesome post!

The Spit in the background is, I think, MH415?
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Connie Edwards would be the guy wearing a Stetson in the middle of the photo. The other guy with a Stetson has Lloyd Nolen to his immediate left. Behind and to the left of Nolen might be Quinton Lawrence, aerial director of flying sequences.

T J
    Last edited by T J Johansen; 10th November 2017 at 15:29.
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

Is that John Blake in the blue shirt the airshow commentator on the UK circuit for years
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

I would love to know if there is a picture of Mk XXI LA198 during filming ? It now resides hanging from a ceiling in Scotland, but was taken away from Worcester ATC after many years of service, never to return ! I think it was used for 'background shots' due to the late Mk and shape.

I believe there is at least one in Volume 2 of Spitfire Survivors.

As it happens, I was contacted on Facebook a while ago by the granddaughter of the last pilot to fly '198. Sadly he passed on a few years ago.
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Trolly Aux
    Is this the Shuttleworth Hurricane? https://postimg.org/image/6ilmxv89u3/
    The propeller would suggest this is CF-SMI.

G-ORDY will confirm.

Mark

Think that is Colonel Lefty Gardner next to Lloyd Nolen

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Worcs Aviation
    I would love to know if there is a picture of Mk XXI LA198 during filming
    No images have surfaced of LA198 on the exterior sets and it is thought that minus propellers and cowlings, LA198, PS915 & PM651 were used as set dressing for internal maintenance scenes that ended on the cutting room floor.

Mark

Is that John Blake in the blue shirt the airshow commentator on the UK circuit for years
    Yes

Cheers Peter, I think he lost his hand in a training exercise explosion, possibly a grenade
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

In the left corner it appears to be a cine camera and operator (2nd unit?) filming it?
    mmitch.

Thanks Mark, nice to see that picture, maybe another will surface from the Cine film !

1. I echo posts 35 and 37. It is a delight to see Sim’s #34 post and a large selection of his film set photos. Some more of the background story to these photos may be interesting to a few members of this Forum.
    In the autumn of 2010 I was editing the Spitfire Society Journal SPITFIRE. A member (Bob Ballard) sent in several images he had taken of the BofB film set at North Weald. I always asked permission of photographers to both use and show submitted images. I scanned Bob’s images and sent them to Mark Xll for his comments as some of the images would go into the journal. ‘Mark’ provided further informative detail that he had accumulated and would be used in the SPITFIRE SURVIVORS volume that he was working at every waking hour of the day at that time!
    A day or so later I received an email from an unknown name who said “ I’m SIM I’ve got about forty images I took on slide film when I was seconded from the RAF as a ‘radio tech’ to Tablada in Spain where a fleet of Spanish Air Force redundant Hispano Buchons and airworthy CASA 2.111’s and a couple JU52’s – had been borrowed from the Spanish Air Force. Would the Spitfire Society be interested to have a look at them? I phoned ‘Mark’ and told him that more images had turned up from another source and I had permission to show them to him. The images were copied across to him. Nether of us could believe the coincidence of how two collections had emerged within 48 hours.
    The slide images were then about forty years old and the emulsion had suffered. ‘Mark’ asked if I would use them in the society journal? I said – you bet! He offered to clean them up in Photoshop and add some informative captions. Despite the pressure of SPITFIRE SURVIVORS he did them in a just a few days. How, I do not know, but, that’s the way he is. The results were remarkable.
    We published them in SPITFIRE in two parts, Spring and Autumn 2011. In terms of the historic aviation publishing world I suppose it was a scoop. From Society members, just a deafening silence. Dilip Sarkar did see them and said that he wished that the late Robert Rudhall had seen them before he died. That would have been very satisfying.
    I would add just a last personal thought. There is an image not on Sim’s on line gallery. He took some images of the aerial armada flying to the UK. It included an air to air shot of the by then, only two seat Buchon. Thinking of the work that has gone on at Sywell this year it would make an interesting comparison to see it!
    I hope Forumites will excuse my liberty in taking up all this space but SIM, MARK Xll and Bob B at the time never had the thanks that they deserved for all they did for those of us who are interested in this topic. I hope this makes up for it.

I've gone through the cine film again this afternoon and can't really add anything else to the story. This one reel only runs for 9 mins and most of that relates to the mass formations in Spain and aircraft landing at Duxford. Here are a few shots of some of the people and the cameras. Lots more film to go through and found more Spitfires and Buchons but not related to the BoB film. Nothing on TV these days, so got plenty to go through and perhaps glean some more interesting screengrabs from the bucket and spade footage.

Spain_1 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

Spain_2 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

Spain_4 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

Spain_3 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

Spain_5 by Martin Pengelly, on Flickr

The Obelisk tower structure seemed to be a marker for the mass formations when filming in Spain.

Propstrike you asked, Any more you can share ? Yes Working on it.
    Not sure if some pics already posted via this link is working for forum members? https://postimg.org/gallery/1r1ahcb7g/
    As R6195 says some pics were kindly published by his guys at Spitfire Magazine a while back. My thanks to David L who pointed me in that direction and again directed me to this forum.
    Meanwhile here's a B25 airbourne shot near Seville, just pilot Duane Egli and myself on test flight to check B25 intercom.

Name:	Buchon aerial from B25.jpg 
Views:	776 
Size:	890.5 KB 
ID:	256892
    Last edited by Sim; 11th November 2017 at 22:51.

I'd love to know if any pictures exist of the aircraft, when they were parked at Debden ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

The same camera ship B-25 photographed by me in the hangar at Duxford on the day after the hangar/bomb scene was shot in 1968.

Name:	B25.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	256893

Sim, Really great that you have felt able to put this in the public domain. That link works just fine, and the pictures there are fascinating to study, especially when one remembers the film was almost 50 years ago !

They all deserve a bit of enhancement to revive the colours and tones that have faded over 5 decades, and hopefully someone can sort that out, but a quick tweak in Photoshop is a rewarding exercise.

Thanks again for letting us enjoy these historic photographs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

With regard to the Hurricane, I wouldn't agree with Mk12 saying it may be CF-SMI, as the CCF Hurricanes don't have the cranked Hawker tailwheel leg and in all my pictures of CF-SMI it has the straight tail-leg strut as built originally in Canada.

Roobarb

Quote Originally Posted by Roobarb
    I wouldn't agree with Mk12 saying it may be
    I am sure you are right.

It does look to have the propeller that was fitted to CF-SMI when it first surfaced in the UK. Possible a cut down DC-3 prop?

Mark

Thread Information