Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: WWII. Price of Empire.

WWII. Price of Empire.

Having just watched the Battle of Britain episode, I noticed in one of the clips, a Hurricane taking off with what appears to be O2-A code letters. Now I know that Keith Park used OK-1 on his personal Hurricane, but the codes on the Hurricane in the clip are new to me. Could it be SD or SO reversed?.

Rather annoyingly i have taken a picture of the Hurricane using my camera phone but i can`t find a way to post it using the forum on my mobile!.

Judging from the completely random nature of the clips used in this type of TV programmes I'd be surprised if the Hurricane in question was from the Battle-of-Britain, Britain.....or even World War Two!

I quite like the narrative of 'Price of Empire' but just have to ignore the 'corresponding' images!
    WA$.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-12-19-50-22.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	256279t

Could it be OB - 53 OTU?

It looks like SD-A but with the picture reversed, this would make it a 501 Sqn aircraft.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

When it's reversed....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-10-12-19-50-22.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	256280

There was another sequence of Hurricanes in flight which was clearly reversed.
    The footage was very 'illustrative' rather than specific and a lot used in that episode is the same as that in the identically titled episode of The World at War (albeit that there is a degree of inevitability in that).

It would seem that the footage is reversed and we are indeed seeing a 501 Squadron Hurricane taking off. Unusual size of code letters make it a nice aircraft for the modellers out there.

Thread Information