Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Battle of Britain film...it's a crazy world

Battle of Britain film...it's a crazy world

I just watched 16 b/w 35mm negatives, in packages of four, of various participants in the preparation hangar at RAF Henlow in 1967/8, poorly composed, not sharp and in an unlit hangar...go for a staggering £304 on a well known internet auction site.

Time to revise my insurance cover.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

At that price I would expect copyright to them as well.

My signed Peter Arnold photo must be worth thousands by now!

I did see a First Day of Issue BoB Anniversary (I think) envelope signed by the master up for auction on ebay recently. Cha-CHING!! Glad I didn't throw out my Barbie dolls...especially my limited edition "Spitfire Barbie".
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 12th October 2017 at 02:15. Reason: The all-important word "of" had to be inserted.
    RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA (subtitled FLYING WITH 159 SQUADRON) by Bill Kirkness DFM and Matt Poole, published by Fonthill Media

Ah but Matt, what use is Spitfire Barbie without her hot pink, flower-roundelled Mk.XI with Ken noseart?
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Now we know why the "making of" books are so expensive and difficult to come by.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

K5054NZ, I threw away the pink Spitfire, sad to say, because of my disgust with this Mk. XI having a 2,035 hp Griffon 65 engine! Can't these toy manufacturers get it right??

I remember a video announcing the Spitfire Barbie-with-hot pink aircraft release...too much CGI. She was flying over the Dunkirk beaches (in 1940 in, um, her Mk. XI), and there were literally THOUSANDS of evacuees below (unlike in the recent movie, which depicts precise history: 143 evacuees on the beach). Christopher Nolan would have been appalled.
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 12th October 2017 at 02:17. Reason: I thought I'd should address this posting, specifically, to 3 letters & 4 numbers.
    RAF LIBERATORS OVER BURMA (subtitled FLYING WITH 159 SQUADRON) by Bill Kirkness DFM and Matt Poole, published by Fonthill Media

My signed Peter Arnold photo must be worth thousands by now!
    Is that the limited edition version?

Let me revise what I wrote.

My thousands of signed Peter Arnold photos must be worth pennies now.

TonyT,

Just to set the record straight, I don't own any editions, limited or otherwise, of the "Spitfire Peter Arnold" doll...which, upon release, included a hot pink, flower-roundelled Mk. XI Spitfire, complete with Moggy (not Ken) nose art. When I say nose art, I mean nose art, as in schnozz.

I had my eye on that one Matt, was sniped on eBay by someone from Newport Pagnell. Very disappointing. Was mint in the teak case also.

Mark12, I'm amazed at the price those negatives went for!! Have you ever seen something like this before, photographs or negatives going for such a high price?
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Newport Pagnell -- it's blueblood territory, where some country squires can afford to keep Spitfires in their garages.

These crazy prices are down to an article being published in Britain at War by some bloke writing about collecting B of B film memorabilia and how much money there was in it...

I've still got my programme from attending the film's première........

Is this entire thread written in code?
    Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Roobarb;

Any idea which issue that article was in about Battle of Britain memorabilia collecting and who wrote it?

Best regards;
    Steve

I don't know, but I better write one and get it published on modern classic aircraft, I have tons of scrap... sorry.... crap laying about and could be sitting on a small fortune post publication.

Quote Originally Posted by K5054NZ
    Mark12, I'm amazed at the price those negatives went for!! Have you ever seen something like this before, photographs or negatives going for such a high price?
    For something really special and of superb quality or colour...maybe, but not for mediocre material such as this.

Two people, and it takes two people, really wanted these negatives.

For me, I photographed all the Spitfires at RAF Henlow building up to the BoB in film in 1967/8...in some cases using a tripod in the hangars with no lighting.

I also managed to include the spinner and show the serial on most of my shots.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

My promo poster of a Casa/Heinkel cost me £2 a few years ago
    pb::

Not everything connected with the movie sells.
    http://propstoreauction.com/view-auc...%2F%3Fpage%3D2

I paid £860 for this on ebay - was I done?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The garage that keeps on giving.

That depends... is the interior made from solid gold?
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Nice doorbell Air Ministry! I'm jealous. I think you outbid me at the last minute. However, I did buy this from the same seller....

broken-up-and-over by Steven Steven, on Flickr

...think his eBAy handle was TakaTakaTakaDeadDuck1940
    Last edited by RAFRochford; 12th October 2017 at 20:03.

Please send me a signed copy of that garage door, so I can sell it on eBay (though I'm disappointed there's no Spitfire in that garage...yet).

Translations of some of my references, for Stuart in post #14:

"My signed Peter Arnold photo must be worth thousands by now!"
    TRANSLATION: My signed Peter Arnold photo must be worth thousands by now!

"I did see a First Day of Issue BoB Anniversary (I think) envelope signed by the master up for auction on ebay recently. Cha-CHING!! Glad I didn't throw out my Barbie dolls...especially my limited edition 'Spitfire Barbie'."
    TRANSLATION: I need help.
    Last edited by Matt Poole; 13th October 2017 at 08:12. Reason: Needing to be even more of a wisea**

Steady now, far too much morale flying around in this thread...
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

For the education of some, I am assuming the 'door bell' and the 'up and over door ' are references to the bloopers in the BoB film...Skipper's house etc.

Mark

....which is what happens if we get too many Battle of Britain film anoraks crammed into one thread!

It's all getting a bit silly now, so I'm off to explore those mountain ranges in northern France...

What you should be buying on ebay is these, you never know what's in them

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Re...UAAOSw07dZ0lFi

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-8166-2220.gif 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	256286

any ideas?
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Thread Information