Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire T9 PT462 moves to Duxford

Spitfire T9 PT462 moves to Duxford

As can be seen on the ARC Facebook page Spitfire T9 PT462/G-CTIX has been sold to The Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford.

"There is a new T.9 Spitfire joining the ARCo fleet!
    We are very happy to announce that we have completed the purchase of two-seat Spitfire PT462. She will be based at our home, Duxford Airfield, with the rest of the fleet and we are very excited to welcome her into the team!"

Whilst I am sure there will be speculation as to new colours or the loss of its current scheme, that is ultimately for the new owner to decide what he wishes to do. Putting that to one side, however, as a bit of fun, what colours would would the forum members think appropriate?

How about the "original" Chrysler colours adopted by Charles Church...

Would be good to see one of the “Grace pattern” two seaters painted as a VVS Spitfire IX UTI, as after all this is the most original scheme for a two seat Spitfire fitted with two standard hoods with a clear tunnel between the two. OK the position of the cockpits might differ slightly but only the experts would know......

My choice.

A single overall colour, white, black, light grey or light blue combined with full RAF livery national markings and stencils.

The RAF operated such schemes post WWII, mostly the personal mounts of high ranking officers.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Irish Air Corps please.
    Martin

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	234_sqn_spitfire_mki_x4036_by_bad_rabbit_design-d99fo7l.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	256216

Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

A civil scheme, for a change! G-AIDN wore some super schemes, but I was thinking actually of the air racing scheme worn by AB910 in the 1950s...
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

What about the paint scheme below? It would be a totally different, irregular one. One that would certainly stand out and is outstanding as well. (Though you must not change the Merlin for a DB 605, Buchons get away with it as well.) Just joking, I do not believe any owner would go for it, but who knows? Maybe someone has a weird sense of humour.......
    Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	db605_10.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	256221

IF it does undergo a refresh then maybe, as mentioned by jeepman, perhaps a Russian scheme?

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...08#post1024408
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

I'll go with jeepman's suggestion!

T J
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

A Soviet scheme gets my vote too, it would certainly be something "different" and very fitting for the configuration.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

For what it's worth (the seconds it takes to read this message, I imagine!) I vote for the Spitfire UTI scheme too. Different but important.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

I also vote for the Soviet UTI scheme!

Soviet scheme please. Or, Mark’s suggestion with a grumpy senior pilot dressed in matching overalls.

Win, win all round paint it with water soluble paint in Soviet scheme over an RAF scheme for a short period.
    LAHarveIs this the real life, or is this just fantasy ?

High gloss camouflage with a dragon above the fin flash. Oh, hang on...

Assuming it's going to be used in the "Fly in a Spitfire" programme, I don't think it will end up in a Soviet, German, Irish or civil scheme. I would guess the participants would want to be photographed in an RAF painted machine.

ARCo house colours would be nice. :-)

Love it as it is but anything ArCo does to the Spitfire will be great for sure I cannot see it being something out the box as it needs to fit in for general work, any specials can just over the top as they do with the rest of the collection as is the case for the Buchon
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

silver with yellow training bands

Gloss black Israeli though i loved Charles Church's colours.

One of its in service sechemes would be nice...RAF, Italian or Israeli to choose from I believe?

Don't think so, they got 161/PV202 wrong.

Which scheme was wrong?

The Irish Air Corps scheme (Green) used after restoration following its crash, Roobarb

its right now, I like it very much, do not like the IAC colours at all.

All owners, please feel free to paint your own aeroplanes however you wish
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Too bad with the IAC scheme. It was both cool and it brought something different to the table.

All posters, please feel free to express your opinion on colors on this forum as you wish.

T J
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

"Tin hats everybody"...

Hi Tony,

The IAC scheme was nothing to do with me, I preferred the silver one anyway! From comparisons done with items of the RX168 Seafire project just before PV202 went into the current scheme, the colour used on the IAC scheme was very close if not spot on. The RX168 wing root panels etc are quite faded and I would expect them to have been a more full bodied shade when originally delivered. The spinner colour was definitely not the right one though! When it got repainted last time, it was noteworthy that the IAC scheme had faded quite significantly.

Hello Roobarb, sorry I do not know your name. I too like the silver scheme and agree that the when 161 /PV202 was finished in green it was very close but not correct. When the call went out for the colour scheme used by the Irish Air Corps, I heard it on Irish radio and it made it to the Irish newspapers. I responded and I sent the details, I also happened to be in Cambridge and Suffolk and took the opportunity to visit Duxford. I was shown the wreckage of the Spitfire and told of the plans to rebuild. I supplied photographs and details of the colour scheme and the location of the markings etc. I heard nothing more.
    The Spitfire came to Dublin /Baldonnel and everyone was delighted to see it again but the ex Air Corps Techies all agreed that it was not as they had seen it and worked on. I mentioned this to a Duxford official and very courteously suggested that if the Spitfire should require a make over that it should be Green Gloss not matt. This person walked away and turned slightly and said when you get your own Spitfire you can finish it any way you like. Well I did just that (a plastic kit ) and finished it in correct Air Corps colours, I was as happy as the proverbial pig in ....well you know what. Some people who heard the remark thought it was a classic put down. Smart guy. I have the files on the purchase of the Six Spitfires including specifications for the paint scheme and location of markings. The overall colour was cockpit green but in a gloss finish, cockpit interior was black and walkways extended, the latter two clearly visible in the photographs supplied, none of this was applied.
    Regarding Seafire RX168 this was finished in a matt scheme and once out of service it faded, I have one of the engine cowlings from RX168 and the paint has completely faded giving no real indication of the real colour. Spinner colours varied according to the flight A B or C of the Fighter Squadron at Gormanston.
    Regards
    Tony K
    Historical advisor to the Irish Air Corps .

I missed Mark12's post!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark12
    My choice.

A single overall colour, white, black, light grey or light blue combined with full RAF livery national markings and stencils.

The RAF operated such schemes post WWII, mostly the personal mounts of high ranking officers.
    The idea of an all-black or white, RAF liveried machine sounds very interesting.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Thread Information