Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Enquiry about the TFC Beaufighter.

Enquiry about the TFC Beaufighter.

I was wondering if anyone on here with an involvement with The Fighter Collection could tell me what the state of the Beaufighter's cockpit/interior is, and whether it would be accessible at all for filming?
    Failing that the Blenheim cockpit might do, but is quite factually incorrect for the purpose, and I would rather not use artistic licence.

In the possible event of neither being available, are there any other cockpits about that could masquerade as a Beaufighter's?

Regards

Chris

There is a forward fuselage of a Mk.II at RAF Museum Hendon, it's largely intact although it has various clear panels cut into the skin.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

I thought of that, but I doubt they'd let any filming take place in it, especially with the asbestos present etc.
    I don't think the RAF Museum allows filming in any of their planes?
    I tried to film with their Heinkel 111 once and was flatly refused permission.
    Last edited by Southern Air99; 9th October 2017 at 21:01.

Have the wings museum taken delivery of there Beaufighter nose from Oz?

http://www.warbirdsonline.com.au/201...ufighter-news/

Is there still a Beaufighter stored at East Fortune?
    pb::

I'm not sure about either.
    The East Fortune one looks in a rather disassembled state from the pictures there are.

Cockpit gutted but interior view of the fuselage?
    pb::

Why not ask the Midland Air Museum at Coventry Airport. They have a cockpit (genuine, but purely the cockpit area)
    http://www.midlandairmuseum.co.uk/explore.php
    Last edited by Consul; 9th October 2017 at 22:01.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

The Midland one looks good, very well restored. But the downside of that is, they probably wouldn't want people going in it, I note it has a big perspex/glass sheet in front of it in the picture on the website.

Why not ask TFC? Simplest way surely?
    Departed until sense is talked

I emailed them a while back, but got nothing back. I thought asking a volunteer here might be more direct.
    Besides, I thought asking on here might provide other options if the TFC one was off limits.
    Last edited by Southern Air99; 9th October 2017 at 22:28.

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    What happened to Tim Moore's Beau is he still rebuilding her?

The EF Beaufighter has been out of the public eye for a couple of years following the re-jig there. I hope they get it restored as the type is pertinent to the airfield. For several years it basically lay as a 'field' of parts in their restoration hangar in a very rough condition, so I wouldn't hold your breath!

Tim Moore’s example was put up for sale some years back and SFAIK went to Australia.

The EF example was a great prospect but in depth work on it seems to have been shelved since the curatorial changes and the focus on Concorde as the main attraction etc.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

I believe there is a Beaufighter cockpit at the Wings Museum at Balcombe in West Sussex, although I haven't seen it myself, or seen any photos of it. The RAF Museum Beaufighter fuselage is now on loan to Aerospace Bristol at Filton.

Andrew

EF Beau about three years ago;
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Martin

I think it's probably safe to say that if you have written to them and they've not answered you, it's probably safe to say you have your answer as to if they are willing to let you film there.

FB

I've never had any great problem using TFC's aircraft for photography. Finding the money was always the issue, clients don't think that historic aircraft have any value. "We'll credit them in the catalogue, that should be enough"

Jane Larcombe was very helpful when we did a fashion shoot there, though this must have been about ten years back..

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Probably not a lot of use to you, depending what you had in mind. On a visit to Moorabbin Air Museum (Australia) in 2006, the staff at the museum kindly let me have a look inside the aircraft.

Graham

Beaufighter 04

Beaufighter 03

Beaufighter 05

Beaufighter 02
    Last edited by stirlingeffort; 10th October 2017 at 10:50.

Fournier Boy - perhaps, but an answer out of courtesy, even to say ‘sorry you can’t film in it’ would be nice.
    Moggy - yes money is an issue, as a student I don’t earn much so maybe that’s the issue.
    Same reason I am having issue obtaining stock/archive footage!

The Moorabbin Beaufighter looks well cared for, but it’s too far away unfortunately. Thanks anyhow
    Last edited by Southern Air99; 10th October 2017 at 14:44.

Have you tried giving them a call? Might be the best way to get in touch. I've always found them to be very helpful guys (and girls!)

They may not have received the e mail .

We have the email, assuming there are not two people wishing to film inside the beaufighter. Like all things in aeroplane restoration it just takes awhile for a reply .
    Departed until sense is talked

Thank you kindly, I got your email.

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Thanks Consul. Pity, I'm quite sure I'm not the only one who hoped a Beau pair would be a possibility one day.

There are 2 full aircraft and 1 cockpit in Australia, just a shame you can't get down here.

Hi All,
    Sorry to drag an old thread up, just wondering about the TFC Beaufighter any news on that seeing as the CR.42 is coming along to the end of its journey ?

Geoff.

Thread Information