Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spitfire Photograph Question

Even if the sqn did 'officially' move to B4 on the 18th - there would probably be 'stragglers' (ie a/c coming out of snags/servicing) flying out to B4 slightly later.
    Also there would have been constant 'tooing and frowing' between france and the S of England at the time,and also quite possibly some a/c might have been flown back to Blighty for certain servicings etc,since facilities/equipment at B4 were probably limited.

Alternatively, could the picture have been taken at B4?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Yes, I did wonder that myself but I'd always assumed those hills in the background were the South Downs. An unwarranted assumption perhaps?
    P.

Here's picture of B4 taken in the summer 1944 notice the sparse grass looks quite similar to me:

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/fr...b-4-s1097.html
    Pedantic I haven't been that for 4 minutes 36 secs
    http://www.arc-design-it.co.uk

Background looks South Downsey to me as well - the area around Beny - sur - merde looks much flatterrer to me on Google street view.

rgds baz

Pretty sure that's Lavant Down in the background, so the photo must have been taken in the NW corner of Westhampnett / Goodwood. The tree line has changed over the years but the hill hasn't (or at least it hadn't last time I walked the dog up there!)
    Last edited by Nachtjagd; 12th October 2017 at 12:01.
    A Thousand Shall Fall

You may well be right - I'm nowhere near as familiar with the view of the Downs from Goodwood as I am from Tangmere - but they always seem closer at Goodwood than they appear to be in this photo. I'll stick with Tangmere for the moment but - with apologies to the OP for the slight thread drift - I'm keen to hear any evidence to the contrary as I regularly use this photo in talks and would hate to think I was giving out incorrect info about it.

P.

on Saturday I took a couple of images of the downs from what would have been the south west end of tangmere airfield, the first is facing towards the control tower and onto the duncton area of the downs and the second is facing the trundle/lavant downClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	256365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	256366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	643.4 KB 
ID:	256367

Thanks arejay. Funnily enough I was going to do the same thing on Thursday but you've saved me a job.
    P.

Thread Information