Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Mig-29 early versions

Mig-29 early versions

I am asking this question is there is so much confusion regarding this in different sources I have encountered
    Can someone please give a list of ways the 9.12B was different from the soviet VVS 9.12 version ?
    Was the 9.12B version supplied to Iraq Yugoslavia and India?

The 9.12B was the export version for non Warsaw Pact operators. It, IIRC had a less capable radar process, N-019EB radar, different IFF IIRC, no datalink and no nuclear strike capability. The 9.12A was the WP version which had the N-019EA radar and IIRC lack the nuclear capability as well.

Yes, Yugoslavia received 14 Mig-29B aircraft plus two 9.51 two seaters. Striped down version of Soviet standard.
    Last week Russia delivered 6 Mig-29 aircraft to help Serbian airforce stay flying until better times. Those are straight from Russian inventory and is question how much they will be stripped down first, brought to a current standard of Serbian other Mig-29s, and than upgraded in near future to SM hopefully. Process is under way. First official photos will be on the 20th of this month.

Don't know the answer but I was just in Poland and went to their Armed Forces Museum. Here's a walkaround video of a Polish MiG-29 https://youtu.be/fXpFK30uhBY

I might even have a picture of the plaque

There were other things.. many early export birds lacked wet underwing pylons, for example..

How bad was the radar on the 9.12B ?
    Can it be used for BVR combat ?

Thread Information