Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aerospace Bristol merged with Bristol Freighter for UK

BAPC.392 is the collection of fuselage sections from Manchester, see http://www.bapc.org.uk/html/searchInner.php?id=2264
    A bit more information on the 146 fuselage barrels on display: there are two sections, the uncompleted barrel was cut from BAPC.392, the complete furnished barrel is from RJ100 HB-IXN, broken up at Kemble in 2016.

I can't speak for what is the status quo now, but a complete, unfinished 146 (nose, centre section & tail section, along with wings and pylons) was delivered, and I was told that all would be displayed as an 'exploded' view of an airliner, with parts of it furnished and others laid bare so that the structure could be seen. It does make sense to use a scrap 146 for the 'furnished' bits, but I wonder of the whole will come together in future?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	146 (2).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	319.1 KB 
ID:	256641

Name:	146 (6).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	402.0 KB 
ID:	256642

Name:	146 (14).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	256643

Looks great, I am aiming for after Christmas once the 170 is there. Talking of which I understand a container of spares has already arrived and the aircraft its self is not too far away.

Filton had a varied history with many none Bristol products

All the BC10 tankers were converted at Filton

Several hundred F111 fighter bombers were overhauled along with Lightnings Canberras Valiants ad Stratocruisers

113 Hawker Tempests and EE Lightning T4's (all of them bar two) were built by Bristols.

B29 Washingtons were also overhauled

AFAIR, it was just the Lightning T4 nose sections built at Filton. At least when I was based there, the only evidence on-site was the nose assembly jigs and a spare nose section.

Lightning T4 nose sections
    That was what I understand but believe they were the ones for the T5
    Dave Charles
    Historian 607 (County of Durham) Squadron
    Chair North East Land Sea Air Museums (NELSAM)

Regarding the Bristol 170, I've read it will go into the Aircraft Assembly Hall when it arrives, so will not be available for viewing for some time.

Andrew

That was what I understand but believe they were the ones for the T5
    I think you are probably correct. I seem to recall being told that at the time.

I stand corrected, one T4-T5 assembled from major sub assemblies and flown from Filton (XM967) and one T4 flown in and converted to a T5 which first flew as a T5 from Filton (XM968). Then as you correctly say the two seat forward fuselage where made at Filton and shipped to Samlesbury

I visited the museum a few days ago and I have to say I'm massively impressed! I visited as part of a family group, including sceptical mother-in-law, and everyone enjoyed themselves, Concorde being the highlight of course. It's hard to believe the museum has only just opened, it has a very established and professional feel to it already. The staff and volunteers were extremely friendly and well briefed, and the layout and variety of exhibits are great too. Added to that, the buildings themselves are very impressive - both the old and the new. A strange highlight for me was having a coffee in the top-notch modern cafe while gazing up at the roof trusses, it really is a great achievement to have slotted something so new into something historic without spoiling anything. It brought home just how well thought-out the whole project has been.

We've all been to museums that feel a bit rough around the edges (such places have a charm of their own and I'm not trying to knock anyone's efforts), but Aerospace Bristol (AB) is at the opposite end of the scale. All in all it felt like an established national museum rather than something kicked off not too long ago by volunteers. Masses of credit has to go to those who've been planning and working towards AB over the years, it seems to have hit the ground running.
    "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

The 170 has arrived at Avonmouth, going to be moved one night next week as it involved road closures. Can't wait to see it on display , hopefully soon?

This local paper article (sorry, includes autoplay video) says
    However, Bristol Aero Collection Trust must wait before they can reassemble and restore the plane so it can be put on display at the Aerospace Bristol museum.
    Trustee Bill Morgan said: “Our intent is to put it back together and restore it. However, we can’t put it back together yet, because there is no final building. We are still fundraising for a new hangar.”
    Until those funds are raised, the dismantled Freighter will be kept in the Brabazon Hangar at Filton.

http://www.gazetteseries.co.uk/news/...ire_this_week/

news story on arrived of Bristoll 170 Freighter plus link to map of travel
    author of THE DECISIVE DUEL: SPITFIRE vs 109

Being stored in one of the Brabazon hangar bays until funds allow construction of a new museum hangar. Or so I'm reliably informed.

Latest on the 170 move from the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-42566093
    It is only kinky the first time...

Biffo is back ! Congrats to the team !!

Awesome to have one back in the UK

How much is left of the one at Enstone?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

She made it here all safe and sound.

Name:	FAB2ECF0-14AD-453E-A027-185556ECB28F.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	258145

Curlyboy
    Goodness, Gracious Great Balls Of Fire

Moggy The remains at Enstone consist of fin*, rudder*, tail plane*, extremity of rear fuselage, nose doors*, rather bent props and the wings (as one piece) last time I was there - summertime 2017.
    The pieces marked * are stored inside one of the buildings - I think the engines are inside too.
    The wing would have to be retrieved from the under/overgrowth and craned out!

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...dfc&view_all=1
    Last edited by Arm Waver; 5th January 2018 at 09:50. Reason: link to some of my photos of her remains
    It is only kinky the first time...

Such a shame. I was working there the day it crashed. It was pretty intact as it came to rest (well, a lot more intact than that)

Thanks for the link

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Yes congrats to all involved, seriously well done. Some good recovery news for a change!

Rob

'suppose this thread can be merged with
    https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...er-to-UK-ex-NZ
    and then closed?
    http://www.airnieuws.nl updated per 17 June 2018. Fokker, etc.

Will do once I'm back at my desktop.

Moggy

To the Desktop! (Like a batcave but way cooler....)

Yes!! Happiness is..............................!!

Some of you may be interested to know that the BBC 'Antiques Roadshow' is being held at Aerospace Bristol on Thursday 17th May, for transmission later this year.

Ned

Thread Information