Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report on Battle of Britain Airshow DX

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent

Report on Battle of Britain Airshow DX

The Friday before airshow days at DX are well worth a visit with arrivals and display practives all day together with private arrivals so busy all day. You may also see a display that is interestingly different to what will be in the show. There was a bit of a queue when we arrived just before 10am. The weather is bright sunshine with hardly a cloud with a very gently breeze. So far most of the activity has been the pleasure flights and private arrivals plus a Harvards and I think a Yak.
    A 3 ship Spitfire display has just been up with SM845 piloted by John Romaine, I think, returning with a bit of misfiring and calling for his service team to be on hand.
    A Corsair is now going up for a practice.
    Very sunny causing the usual problems.
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Catalina has practiced and RR232 is in.

The warbird line up at ARCo is impressive. 7 Spits, Buchon and Mustang.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

Shuttleworth Lysander and Gladiator are in, TFC Hawk 75/Bearcat/Wildcat/Corsair & P-40C are outside.

Is there any news on how many Hurricanes will attend?
    I wondered if there had been any serviceability updates in the last few days.
    Ed

I was there today and it was quite pleasant. The car park was chokka, and we had to park under the Hurricane at the entrance.
    Nice selection of aircraft flying... The commentator said there would be six hurricanes flying.
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

I thought starting another thread about Duxford outside the Duxford Diary was blasphemy, I got nailed to the post for this, be careful Paul
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

A lot of air show threads creeping into the Historic Aircraft thread even though there is a thread for air shows.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

That did not take long !!!!!
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

How is the MET at DX this morning?
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Just heard from a good source that the two mustangs have touched in formation. One had made a Mayday call! Both landed safely.

That's good to hear.

(Well, the last part anyway)!

Here's to a safe and successful show tomorrow.

Cheers

Paul
    The most usless commodity in aerobatics is the amount of sky above you!

On UKAR they say it was a bird strike on Miss Helen.

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

It was the shark mouthed and the Scandinavian mustang that touched. Miss Helen must of had a birdstrike too !

It was the shark mouthed and the Scandinavian mustang that touched.
    rafmatt,

The 'Shark' is the Scandinavian Mustang, well sort off!

It is owned by Shaun Patrick, and operated by the Norwegian Spitfire Foundation/Boultbee.

And of course, it used to be operated by the Scandinavian Historic Flight in the 80s and 90s!

(As far as I am aware, this and Miss Helen were the only Mustangs taking part in the show).

Cheers

Paul
    Last edited by Bradburger; 23rd September 2017 at 17:53.

There was quite a large bite of Miss Helen's port tailplane.

Until now, nobody is complaining about some nice fotos of the Duxford shows!

Ah there you are Brian. There is NOT a forum for airshows, and we have already been through all this. Airshows is a section in Photographic. These threads are a full report and discussion on specific airshows and is surely of interest to many people. In the past you complained about RIAT not being Historic when in fact it does have significant historic content. Strangely I do not see you passing the same comments on Duxford Diary, which is an excellent thread but which often posts pictures of modern aircraft passing through. Nobody has any problems with that. Duxford Diary has a very large and excellent photographic content using your argument it should be in photographic.

I really would be grateful if you would explain what your problem really is, why you visit the threads when you do not like them and why you feel the need to comment at all. You are an excellent photographer and I am sure we are all grateful that you share your work on here and you would be very welcome to contribute to the thread.
    I had just got round to seeing the glass as half full instead of half empty, when some sod came and drank it......

Oh yeah. You know what! I totally forgot that it was that one.

From what a friend said that it touched with another Mustang but the bird strike seems the most plausible answer.

Re the P51s. I did not see a collision between the two, which doesn't mean there was not one. But one P51 was climbing to join Sally B and the other never really gained any height from taking offcand was very low and turning north declaring an emergency. The other P51 then turned back to join the one in trouble and both were then out of sight to the north of the airfield. The two Skytrains were on the left down wind with gear down. With the announcement of an emergency they geared up and diverted to hold. The emergency P51 must have been extremely low as we did not see it cross the boundary and put down on runway 24 hard and stopped very short and was blocking the runway for a short time. The Skytrains landed on the grass as did Sally B when she had finished here display. The P51 was then towed clear of the runways.

Comment on UKAR about the shark mouth P51 having a couple of bent prop blades.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Paul1876

I take it you didn't notice the simile face after my post and the winged angel after the Trolly Aux post afterwards. A bit of banter between us and I have been posting on this thread and not complaining about this thread.

So what's your problem.?

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

Nope it was sharky giving a love bite to Helen.
    Last edited by rafmatt; 23rd September 2017 at 20:07.

Miss Helen with a Sharkbite.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=79009

Brian

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

They are saying Miss Helen landed on 06 grass which the picture clearly shows and the damage. That would explain why we didn't see it landing 24 but not how several of us didn't see it pass right under our nose!

If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Interesting pic..
    Yes, the bottom part of the tailwheel appears to be missing!

Cheers

Paul

Anti-grav retro fit

2017 certainly hasn't been a good year at Duxford for Mustangs.
    Work! You don't know what work is. When I was a boy...

I know what you mean, but you could say it has been an extraordinarily good year for Duxford.

An in- flight break up at high speead/low level , a low level engine failure, and a mid-air collision, and yet all the pilots were back having tea in the Pliot's Enclosure at the end of the display.

Fingers crossed for a super-safe Sunday !

Thread Information