Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Aircraft tyres

Aircraft tyres

hello All,

hoping for some tyre experts!

https://nationaltreasures.ie/search?s=wheel

Hopefully you can access that link and find a photo of a Dunlop Aeroplane tyre.

You will see the description given there and its been associated with the nearby crash ofa B-26 Marauder in Wexford, Ireland.

Size seems a bit small for a B-26!

The markings I can read off it are Dunlop Aeroplane 5.50-4 WL14. I've asked the project people there to read more of the codes and numbers if they can.

I read online last night that this wheel size might be associated with Lysanders?

Would German aircraft have used tires marked with Dunlop markings, Heinkel He111 in particular.

Any suggestions welcome, if you cannot see the photo I'll load that separate.
    Last edited by dp_burke; 21st September 2017 at 17:28. Reason: typo corrected

Very helpful, thank you.

Never knew that Dunlop made tyres. Learn something new every day!
    Now officially a 'Senior Citizen'

Twin Pioneer used this size too, as did the DHC Beaver. At least the latter was anti shimmy so not this tyre.

My bet would be on Westland Whirlwind possibly, that had this tyre size. What is the production date on it?
    Last edited by ericmunk; 21st September 2017 at 20:48.

I've no idea now until I hear more from the man wot has it!

Thing is, per the link, which I hope works, it was taken so the story goes, from a field in Wexford, Ireland, during WW2, from a crashed aircraft. Now the nearest aircraft was an American B-26, but this clearly isn't from that. So, there were a number of other wartime crashes around Wexford but most likely the farmer didn't travel a long distance to help himself to a wheel.
    I'm inclined to think maybe it came from an Irish Air Corps aircraft, its a bit of an oddity. I'll get more data from the group.
    Last edited by dp_burke; 21st September 2017 at 21:46. Reason: added phrase "so the story goes"

It's not German as it would have made in Germany under licence wording. It's not B26. If I had my Dunlop tyre list to hand I could tell you what aircraft were fitted with that size. The Aeroplane word suggests early war. The size is around Blenheim. If no one else answers by the time I find my list, I will

That would be super!

Hello Dave,
    Got my Dunlop Aviation Wheels and Tyres list out and get this lot:-

Your Tyre (5.50"x4" ) was fitted with a DUNLOP Wheel type AH 5007 (Tail Wheel ) and fitted to the following WW2 Brit Aircraft:-

Typhoon---Whirlwind--Tornado ???? (Dunno what A/C that was )--- Lysander----Firebrand----Blenheim Mks 1---4 and 5. Nothing mentioned about 1950's or 1960's Aircraft though.

Must be a museum or private project or so around could use that tyre. I believe USA firms preWW2 were supplying Goodyear tyres to the German aircraft /Auto Industry. That ended at WW2 start. Prescott Bush would be a good name to start researching that.

Bill T.

Thanks Bill. I keep typing replies then deleting them while in the edit function on this silly phone.

http://www.ww2irishaviation.com

Above is my attempt at listing of all wartime crashes in neutral Ireland. You can see all events in Wexford. Doesn't include Irish Air Corps Aircraft. So no foreign Lysander or Blenheim crashes.

The other types are not relevant to Irish events. The farmer is not likely to have travelled far to get the wheel/tyre. Travelled by foot or bike Id guess.

Thread Information