Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G-FURY

G-FURY

Came across these during a good sort out, hope you guys like them 37years ago...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7892.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	474.4 KB 
ID:	255796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7883.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	465.9 KB 
ID:	255797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7895.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	255798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7877.JPG 
Views:	127 
Size:	520.1 KB 
ID:	255799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7894.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	483.0 KB 
ID:	255800  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7893.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	478.1 KB 
ID:	255801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7884.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	255802   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7885.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	505.4 KB 
ID:	255803  

Ahhh those were the days! Many thanks for posting. Where were they taken?

Great pictures, love this old stuff. I am guessing taken at Elstree.

Link here to a photo of WJ244 in 1978 before it was registered as G-FURY

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1141813

Fantastic! Many thanks for sharing.
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Awesome machine and scheme. Looks better than when I knew it at Southend Historic Aircraft Museum

Wonderful quality photos! What happened to this aircraft in the end?
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Crashed at (Waddington?)

Just over the hill from Croydon's best piece of history
    Does the identity still exist? Seem to remember hearing years ago that it was a very long term rebuild candidate.

http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Roobarb posted:

"Awesome machine and scheme. Looks better than when I knew it at Southend Historic Aircraft Museum"

Got me wondering why I didn't remember G-FURY at Southend, then I found she was there between 71 and 72. Answers my question...I was only 3 at the time. Do remember G-SALY of course...so did that mean Southend had two Furies at one point?

You're showing your age Roobarb

Hooligan, the wreck still exists at the Sanders business in the US, its mainly the damaged fuselage section & tail from the pics I've seen, the wing centre section ended up here in Australia for a while but only for parts, Guido Zuccoli purchased most of Spencers parts in the early 80's

Thanks chaps. Slight possibility it could emerge again one day I suppose.

G-FIRE and G-FURY, what a wonderful pair they were...

RAFRochford;

It was dumped down the back behind the hangar and the fence along with a load of bits like Vampire wings and the Cornell, sort of behind and round the corner from where the Viscount nose and Anson ended up just before the closure. It wasn't there long as it headed off to Kent for an aborted rebuild and that's where Spencer got hold of it. Ashford maybe?
    Always wondered where the Robot ended up after the auction and where he came from in the first place. As for age, well I still have my copy of the Evening Echo special about the opening of the Museum with a lovely picture of the CASA 2-111D INSIDE the hangar!!! Fast forward to January 2015 and there I am working on the very same "Spanish Heinkel" at ARC at Duxford! In another twist of fate I was working in the less sumtuous end of the National Airways hangar on Rod and Rex Cadman's Invader in the mid/late 1980's when I was asked to help move an aeroplane out of the posh end for our landlord, the then owner of National Airways. The aeroplane was a lovely P51 "Sunny VIII" and the owner/our landlord - Spencer Flack!

Quote Originally Posted by Roobrb
    It wasn't there long as it headed off to Kent for an aborted rebuild and that's where Spencer got hold of it. Ashford maybe?
    I photographed it in Mike Llewellyn's back garden prior to Spencer taking delivery. WJ244.

There were two Seafurys at Southend.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Are there any pictures of it crashed, or the wreckage? Similarly, where exactly near Waddington did it go in? I'm local and I've been employed there or nearby for over 25 years.

Simply amazing photos of G-FURY in the hangar. The original colour scheme with cheat lines extending to the cowling and no smoke canisters was, for me, perfect. Those cannon strobe lights winking at the crowd, during a tight turn, at a terrible weather Shoreham show was a sight I'll never forget. Thank you, Spencer.

I wonder if VH-BOU sowed the seed !............... (photographer not known)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Piston, there was a photo of it sat in a sugar beet field i think in the following months Flypast magazine iirc. I also seem to remember a series of photos from different angles included in an interview with SF, where he spoke of his disappointment that it "had let him down".

Rob

Roobarb;

I often wondered where that robot came from too! I seem to remember reading an article somewhere online about where the robot is now...I'll see if I can find it and post it up here. I still miss the Southend museum. I have a lot of happy memories of the place (still got a bit of the Cornell in my garage!)

At the same time you were tinkering with the Invader in the National hangar, I was the postie doing the airport round. Loved that gig, running around the whole airport in my little van. I remember trying to get a peek at the Invader when I heard it was there. Also remember Sunny VIII often being parked outside the office when I turned up, which brightened my day. Watched them breaking up "Big John" and the Beverley around the same time which was pretty sad. I also had a bit of a near miss pulling out of National one day with a taxying Viscount. I was in a rush to get finished and drove straight out into the path of the Viscount. I only noticed when the shadow of the wing passed over me and I looked in the mirror to see the Viscount disappearing the other way. I've no idea if the pilot saw me, but the resulting paperwork could have been interesting!

Sunny VIII remains one of my favourite warbird memories. It was about 8am one Sunday morning when the little Nissen hut I had just woken up in at Earls Colne received an almighty low level beat up from Sunny VIII. I think he was trying to wake up Phil Parish. Phil did discreetly ask Norman Lees about the beat up, and he neither confirmed or denied it It was a real "Empire of the Sun" moment!

Wyvernfan, thank you.

Seafuryfan, I remember G-FIRE having the flashing cannons, but didn't realise G-FURY had that too.

...and I didn't know that G-FIRE had them Your post prompted me to look more closely at Seaflight's photos, and the strobe assembly is visible in the first pic.

Thanks Sefuryfan,and the rest of you for the comments.
    Thought you might like a little bit of history behind the photos, had as mentioned had a bit of a sort out and I came across these 6x7 negatives which I hadn't seen for 35 years odd.Had them specially digitised so as one could print them up something at the time I never did, so you guys are seeing them in the flesh for the first time like me.
    Sorry I didn't caption them but was not sure how.
    All the hangar shots in its unpainted state was during weighing test at its base at Elstree during 1980 the last two were taken as it just arrived back from the paint shop.
    Note the panel with partial markings on the fin this was taken off Haydon-Bailie's crashed WH589.
    The prop was borrowed off the two seater Spencer had at the time, this now of course is happily back with the Navy guys at Yeoviton.
    I do have some more of the Fury if anyone's interested.

Mike

I remember visiting Elstree in 1979 but didn't see the Fury being rebuilt, but I think I do recall the Hunter in a hangar. The remains of G-AGHB were on a trailer outside.

The quality of G-FURY photos on this thread is far higher than many available on the web, Mike. Any additions would be eagerly received and we appreciate the time taken to post them. It's possible with this exposure that someone may be inspired to get out the scarlet paint for a tribute (long shot!)

Ok,here are a few more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7879.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	385.1 KB 
ID:	255854   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7886.JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	371.2 KB 
ID:	255855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7880.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	502.7 KB 
ID:	255856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7887.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	373.7 KB 
ID:	255857  

Gotta love the Sea Fury and in particular that scheme, but those mainwheels, what are they off?

Edit... I'm guessing that's Stefan Karwowski in the cockpit?

Rob
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 19th September 2017 at 19:55.

...as if they were taken yesterday. Thank you.

Those are FAB photos, high res, loads of detail, 6x7 negs, and it shows. Thanks again for making them public.

Click on the thumbnails, and then enlarge .

Were the wheels off a King Air or something ? Spencer Flack operated light exec aircraft, I think.

Thanks Propstrike,
    The wheels are the Sander's conversion from an F102 I think ,not sure long time ago.

The two Southend Seafurys. Circa 1970.

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thread Information