Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Halifax

Halifax

Two recent pictures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HALIFAX 1.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	372.0 KB 
ID:	255639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HALIFAX 2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	434.8 KB 
ID:	255640  

Just my opinion, but the Hercules engined Halifax was the best looking British bomber of the war, after the Mosquito.

I totally agree, apart from that Mossie bit. There is a very nice black and white photograph of a new Halifax III on a testflight that really shows it.

I like the 4 gun mid-upper. Always wondered why Avro didn't use one for the Lanc.

Total agreement from me also..... The MkVI being my personal favourite.

Some of the artwork the Canadians did on that large nose is amazing: A bit suprised that nobody did a sharks mouth.

There was a sharkmouth on a B Mk II with Tollerton nose (or Z-fairing).

So, other than HR871 and LW170, are there any other Halifaxes that could be recovered? (And brought to the UK for full restoration... I can dream)

It's a great shame that there's not a genuine Halifax stood on it's feet in the UK...another recovery like NA337 would be wonderful.

There are plenty of wrecks in Norway, one of which was located a few years ago and a video shows it to be substantially intact with the nosesection broke off. But this is salt water.
    I once spoke to Birger Larsen and he told me there must be more about in the cool deep lakes. Luckily the Halifax has a champion named Karl Kjarsgaard.
    Cheers
    Cees

I think Karl Kjarsgaard is a miracle worker for all that he has done for Canadian Halifaxes, I just wish there was someone who could bring another example to the UK.

Of course the UK had the late Ian Robinson and his team to thank for the YAM Halifax, but they were more limited by budget and what was available at the time.

I don't think there isn't any interest in the UK for a Halifax project. Most people only think the RAF had Spitfires, Lancasters and Vulcans the past century.

The Canadian team have parts for two wingsets. IWM would be the best bet for such a reconstruction project but don't see that happening. Would be nice as they already have a nose section and the drawings as a starting point.

But you never know how a cow catches a hare (Dutch phrase).
    Cees

Sadly I agree with Cees... I'm a Hurricane, Halifax and Victor man myself but that seems to be the minority.

As WWII dissapears into the history books beyond living memory, and cheap research by journalists becomes the norm the myth of the Spitfire and Lancaster winning the war will just grow at the expense of all the other warbirds, and there will be little interest in rebuilding the "lesser" well know types.

I did wonder why there were no Halibags, Stirlings etc saved after the war but talking to my mum (Who lost her brother on bombers) she just said that when it was all over there was no appetite to save anything the country was so war weary they just wanted rid of the lot, and thinking about it the only reason we have a so many Lancasters left was that the Canadians took them back to Canada... If only they had got a couple of Squadrons of Halifaxes back there at least a couple would have been preserved.

Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't have deep enough pockets.

There would probably be more support for a Halifax project if there were something substantial available to start with ... chicken and egg etc.
    Martin

Don't think so, look at the Lancaster (the UK no.1 type) and Lincoln projects that had been lying derelict in the UK for years with nobody caring for (now both of them are derelict in the US and Australia). You really need to have someone with an interest in the type and with deep pockets as well. Karl K is that man but his pockets are not that deep unfortunately but he has pulled off unbelieveable things regarding the Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebro
    Don't think so, look at the Lancaster (the UK no.1 type) and Lincoln projects that had been lying derelict in the UK for years with nobody caring for (now both of them are derelict in the US and Australia). You really need to have someone with an interest in the type and with deep pockets as well. Karl K is that man but his pockets are not that deep unfortunately but he has pulled off unbelieveable things regarding the Halifax.
    The Lancaster was always supposed to be in the hands of those with the finances and facilities to restore it, the fact that it wasn't is down to several different circumstances, the hangar collapse being one.
    The Lincoln is much more as you say; had the lottery come up I would have bought it
    Martin

I was once talking to Bill Purdie, RAAF Lanc pilot, and he told me that at one stage, between tours, he would ferry Stirlings to Belfast, with just enough fuel, and a gunner in the rear turret. After landing, he would taxi it directly into, and collide with the Stirling at the end of a long line of soon to be scrapped aeroplanes

Thread Information