Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Hurricane Irma

Just been on Stallion 51 Facebook site that states all P-51 are safely secured in their hangars,then let us all hope this is true. Keep any updates coming from the aftermath, and our thoughts to all those affected, we in the preservation movement are one with you.

That's what the USAF and Kermit Weeks thought before Hurricane Andrew in 1992.
    Weeks asked for permission to put his Ford Tri-Motor in a hangar at Homestead Air Force Base, which did collapse, wrecking the Ford and a few F-16s.

Weeks' museum at Tamiami Airport was wrecked. His P-12 was turned into a ball of scrap (I had to ask what it was) while the Duck and Corsair were spared major damage. One of the roof trusses came down neatly bracketing the Corsair. I happened to fly in on a Pave Hawk just as he was pulling aircraft out.

Not a Good place to store antiques.
    Let's hope this isn't as bad.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

I heard on the radio news all signs point to this being worse than Andrew. As soon as I heard that I thought of all I read about Weeks Air Museum...
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

The USAF is probably a good indicator to the severity of "Irma"

An F-16 Fighting Falcon from Homestead Air Reserve Base, Fla., taxis Sept. 6, 2017, at Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Texas. The base serves as a safe haven for 14 military aircraft that relocated here due to Hurricane Irma's anticipated landfall in south Florida. (U.S. Air Force photo by Tech. Sgt. Charles Taylor)

Anything that is capable of flight should get the heck out of there,,, NOW! The rest should be protected as well as is possible and hope for the best.

Thom Richards said his hangar was rated to 140mph.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Looking at the winds speeds in Erma that hangar is 15mph shy of whats needed.

Oh dear.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Last I saw it's expected to be down to category 4 (defined by wind speed) by the time it gets to Florida. This may be out of date.

Hi All,
    Kermit and his team have been beavering away in preparation for the coming storm. He posted a mass of photos to many to upload on to here but
    it's the first post on his Facebook profile below...

https://www.facebook.com/KermitWeeks

Geoff.

Kermit's post is a real eye-opener to those of us in quieter (though maybe less predictable?) meteorological areas....

I hope all the preparation has been sufficient and that everyone comes out the other side safely.
    Listening out for something interesting approaching...

Surely Kermit should have flown all that he could to another state out the way.
    I don't have much hope for the Catalina that's for sure going to be upside down on the ramp at some point. Hope it all works out for him.

Kermit mentioned that buildings at his new place already have *water issues* when it rains. The Connie looks to be sinking into the ground. I would have assumed some drainage work was done at the facility before buildings went up as he posted a pic of a drainage basin/gator pond that they opened the gates on. Not sure what use a few 1in ratchet straps are going to be. At least the Catalina appears to have the more industrial straps on it.
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Quote: "At least the Catalina appears to have the more industrial straps on it."

I was quite surprised to see how un-loved the Catalina looked now. Anybody know when it last flew`?
    David Legg
    Editor: The Catalina News, The Catalina Society

I saw Kermit's Facebook post this morning. Some of his solutions look a shade optimistic to me. Lashing a couple of planks to the top of the Connie's wings using ropes doesn't look like it will cut it against sustained strong winds. The Catalina also looks like a bit of a sitting duck. Good luck to all involved! If you scroll through the Facebook photos you get to a photo of the containers containing the remains of the Strathallan Lancaster.

Some great shots of Kermit on his Facebook site, they want positive energy let's send them all we can, good luck to all stateside.

Hi All,
    Seems that Kermit is taking it all this hurricane business in his stride with this pic from off his Facebook :- https://www.facebook.com/KermitWeeks.....

Geoff.
    Last edited by 1batfastard; 12th September 2017 at 17:11.

I saw a photo on fb of a C-117 totally reduced to scrap metal by Irma.

Thom Richards said his hangar was rated to 140mph.
    I do wonder how much that diminishes over time, If I was in a hurricane belt I would have earthern Berms built around the vunerable buildings and hangars to deflect the majority of the wind etc up over the building, I have often wondered in these circumstance that having a flat version you can drive over on the taxyways, but can be hydraulically raised up to 45 degrees to protect buildings would work, a bit like a grassed over version of thunderbird two's launch ramp

Quote: "I have often wondered in these circumstance that having a flat version you can drive over on the taxyways, but can be hydraulically raised up to 45 degrees to protect buildings would work"..

I suspect the fact that the top lip of the "ramp" would be some distance away from the edge of the building (unless the ramp width can be increased as it is raised to 45' so that it still butts up against the building wall) would mean that the air would swirl over the lip of the raised ramp and form a very turbulent vortex/zone in the dead space between the ramp and the building - possibly doing even more damage as a result? A least a 45' berm built hard up against the side of the building means there would be no dead space/gap between the 45' slope and the hangar wall for the wind to get into.

As with everything, I guess the cost of adding some form of permanent (or erectable) wind deflector berm(s)/plate(s) around any building in a hurricane zone has to be weighed against the chances of it actually being needed... and adding a 45' slope to a two storey building would increase the footprint area needed around the base of the building by a significant amount. Might be better to just build the building with a 45' Slope on each face (or at least those faces facing into prevailing wind etc) and try and make use of the space.

And, of course, in a hurricane zone, by virtue of the way a hurricane or typhoon behaves, it is possible the wind could come from pretty much any direction, depending on the track of any individual storm, so I guess you would have to build every wall at 45'...

I saw that Irma is now down to a 'tropical depression' and traveling from Georgia into Alabama. All is quiet on Kermit's Facebook page, has anyone picked up any news from that area? I guess the power being out across Florida may be a factor here...
    A Little VC10derness - A Tribute to the Vickers VC10 - www.VC10.net

Just logged in with Stallion 51 and they have said that all is OK and the power is back on and hope to be flying later, this is good news hope the same for Kermit.

Wings of dreams have lost their second C47 in Fort Meyer, the aircraft is destroyed,

Thom Richard said his hangar did ok.

Hi All,
    I watched this video last night and looks like Irma may not be finished with Florida just yet I pray it doesn't but the images make you wince a bit..

Geoff.

Hi All,
    I watched this video last night and looks like Irma may not be finished with Florida just yet I pray it doesn't but the images make you wince a bit..
    Irma is not even an organized system any more. There is a cold front dumping snow in the mountains in western Montana that will push Irma away and to the north in a couple of days. The system for Jose may brush the east coast unless the forecasts are incorrect.

All is well with Kermit, a nice tour of FoF as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BquX...ature=youtu.be

Thread Information