Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Specific to type tools

Specific to type tools

Over many years of collecting, I have not seen many specific to type tools. I've seen various undercarriage spanners for B17. Last weekend I picked up two Firefly specific spanners. Nicely marked.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm going to suggest that those type-specific markings were added to the spanners by those intending to use them and not by the manufacturer at the time of production. Clearly the users wanted to distinguish between spanners but are the sizes in question really that unique?
    WA$.

They have Fairey stamps too. The mustang had a full kit on delivery

I can understand Fairey stamps and tool numbers but would they really stamp each tool, by hand (look at the lettering), with the specific use for that tool for ground-crew use? And are the sizes unique; don't those spanner sizes fit anything else on the Fairey Firefly?

I have a Bristol tool that is marked with its intended use as well as its tool number but I've always assumed that was from an onboard toolkit; or are these Fairey tools from an onboard toolkit too?
    WA$.

It's a Fairey tool, but was probably stamped by a mechanic. I doubt it came from the factory like that.

I've got a few de Havilland tools like this. Most are ex Comet I think.

I've seen a few Mosquito marked tools over the years.

I posted this photo a while ago. Specific to type Napier spanner for the Sabre engine. I have several different designs.

p.s. Forgot to add, but somewhere, I've a fairly hefty tool stamped "SPITFIRE" but I'm unsure if that's a Brand Name or not? I don't recall seeing a Stores Ref. or Part No. on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Air Ministry; 3rd September 2017 at 16:14.
    The garage that keeps on giving

Tony as mentioend in this thread - the Japanese Army and Navy had toolboxes specific to each engine type.

https://forum.keypublishing.com/show...ate&highlight=

Cant say if teh tools were specific or not - but they definitly supplied toolboxes.
    Kind Regards,

Brian

I don't know about the '40's but later type specific engine tools were in section 63. If I remember correctly RR Conway tools (Victor K2) were 63AE.

I have a bunch made by Kawasaki, but they are for my Z1's & ZRX.... not a Ki-61 so I don't think that counts.. although the older ones do have the original style Kawasaki badge on them
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Thread Information