Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halifax PN323 Forward Fuselage

Halifax PN323 Forward Fuselage

Does anyone know what long term plans the IWM has for this exhibit?

Is it bound for Airspace at some point to be displayed alongside the other British designs? Or will it just remain tucked away in a corner of the restoration hanger?

Still hold out hopes it could end up on the YAM Halifax...

Yes put it on the Yam Halifax,its sooooo obvious

Or will it just remain tucked away in a corner of the restoration hanger?
    It's not tucked away in a corner but next to the public walkway.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

It seems fine where it is at Duxford to me. The Halifax replica already has a nose.

Stick in on the YAM Halifax. Make some proper Halifax wings from scratch. Put the Hastings wings on the Duxford Hermes, as payment for the nose. Result: a better, more accurate Halifax, and a near-complete Hermes. Double-whammy!

Keep it at the IWM of course. I walked through it as a kid and it inspired me no end. As pointed out the Halifax replica at Elvington already has a nose.

MarkB, what you've exhibited there is some proper joined up thinking! It'll never happen, but full marks for the suggestion!

By all means MarkB.

Will you be funding the manufacture of the brand new pair of wings for our Hali yourself?
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

As of today.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

I walked through it as a kid and it inspired me no end.
    Same here and it's a shame that it won't be opened up for today's generation!

I must have wandering through it 5 or 6 during the late 60's, early 70's (I may even have touch it) and yes, I've lost my hair, have put on some weight but I still have all my own teeth, so the level of radiation couldn't have been that high
    Tony

...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugg*r all down here on Earth!

It's still gutted by the look of it, while at Lambeth it was internally reasonably fitted out, at least the cockpit and flight engineers position.
    So there must have been some sort of plan, whatever that is. We know about the IWM turning down YAM's request but please get it fully restored and put on display next to the Lancaster.

If it were my choice, and it isn't, I'm one of those who would like to see it at YAM. it isn't the IWM exhibit that it was. What would be a nice idea would be a bespoke audio visual bomber 'walk through experience' showing all of the crew station types including the gunners.
    I hope that IWM do have a suitable plan for it in place.

I would like to see the nose of PN323 on the YAM Halifax, and the new build nose currently on the YAM Halifax taken off and used as a walk through exhibit.

I can dream.

I know this will be controversial, but until the wings, props and everything else that's 'wrong' with the YAM 'Halifax' is corrected, I wouldn't want to see an original nose wasted on it; not that the IWM would ever hand it over anyway. It's best off back as it was- a walk-through exhibit.

If YAM's Halifax cockpit is out of bounds to visitors, then what better way to educate their visitors on what one looked like inside than having this cockpit beside it, with some sort of walk through facility?

Rob

We already have a full size replica Halifax half nose section on display, perspex on one side to show all crew positions back to just behind the engineer's station...

Yes but no disrespect to it - walking through an original would in my eyes have more appeal, as going inside a complete 'real' Halifax is not possible. Then you get the best of both worlds!

Rob

Be ideal to be loaned to East Kirkby.
    pb::

But used as a walk through, what more can PN323 give than a replica to justify it suffering the inevitable damage by so much use? You have to compromise by removing parts to make it a walk through, something that you can do with a clear conscience to a replica.

As for a 'real' Halifax, I'd happily take Elvington's aircraft. Having had the pleasure of a wander around inside her, she's close enough to qualify.

As I said, Rich, I'm certainly not knocking their remarkable Halifax replica, representation or whatever description one likes to attach to it, but sometimes it's difficult to put into words what I mean. But to me when getting close and personal with aircraft or parts of, nothing quite feels or smells like the real thing than... the real thing!

Rob

I sort of understand what you're getting at, but equally I'd suggest getting on an interior tour of the Elvington Halifax. The effort that went into the project, and the fact it used genuine Halifax and converted Hastings parts really makes 'Friday' feel the part. Its got the right smell to it too!

Just curious, the cockpit of the YAM Halifax, is it empty inside, or was anything reconstructed inside it ?
    Officially now a pensioner

Yes you probably have a valid point there. And Elvington and Sunderland are most definitely on my to do list on my next venture oop north.!

Rob

Full, from stem to stern. Pic attached taken from the boss' chair.

I went in it too. It's a proper job! Very convincing inside!

The veterans like it, and thats good enough for me.

It should go to .... :-)

I'd rather not see it incorporated on any replica or rebuild - it can be used at another Museum to illustrate Bomber Command, and indeed Coastal Command, aircraft in WW2. I'd really like to see it back at Lambeth, but failing that East Fortune or IWM North lack any WW2 BC exhibits

And the accessible half nose section we have is currently undergoing a very thorough refurb. When it is done, the vast majority of the interior fittings will be genuine Halifax items.
    Without paying for a tour, it's as close as you can get to boarding a real Hali...

The problem is, stingy people wont pay for the full tour!

Good to read that the half cockpit at Elvington is being worked on. Funny that the seat in it is a genuine Halifax pilot seat while HR792 itself has one that looks to be adapted from an ejection seat.
    Only a forward fuselage will never be a complete aircraft unfortunately. It would be fitting to incorporate it into a full reconstruction project such as taking place in Canada at the moment but losing PN323 will not be beneficial for the UK's historic aircraft community if you ask me (you always may ask).

It would certainly be nice to fully restore it and replace some panels with perspex as on the Beaufighter II nose section to make it an excellent exhibit in it's own right. It would be fully fitted out and visitors can look inside it without actually be inside.

It served it's purpose for years (and I for one am very grateful as it really provided a lot of information for my own cockpit reconstruction) but a walk through exhibit is not beneficial for it's preservation in the long run. Nowadays interactive displays can do a better job.
    What do you think?
    Cheers
    Cees

Thread Information