Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: F-84G Restoration Project in US offered for sale on EBay

F-84G Restoration Project in US offered for sale on EBay

http://aerodynamicmedia.com/rare-str...ts-the-market/

Note that this is largely a Royal Norwegian AF F-84G and I fondly remember the series of novels for children about a unit flying them.
    author of THE DECISIVE DUEL: SPITFIRE vs 109

It looks like the codes are MU-R which would be 338 Sqn, and this is also verified by the Yellow flash on Black background on the vertical. Over time there were four MU-R, two of which crashed with the pilots ejecting successfully.

RNoAF F-84G 338Sqn.
    Name:  nordic-airpower-05.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  256.2 KB
    Photo from the collection of Nils Mathisrud.

Edit: It might also be 52-2978 MU-B which survived to be sold to High Chaparral Western village in Sweden!

T J
    Last edited by T J Johansen; 31st August 2017 at 00:31.
    "And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee!!!"

Jules Winnfield 1994

I see also some Danish Thunderjet bits there too: oh to have a bit more spare cash. OK a lot then.

Yes, also mentioned in the text, at least a Danish tailcone, nose and vertical stabilizer. Quite a few were painted olive green and placed on various air bases in Denmark as decoys after being phased out at the end of the Fifties, remaining there until essentially all decoys (including quite a few F-86D's and some RF-84F's) and derelict aircraft on the air bases were culled (scrapped) in the Nineties. A few more or less complete aircraft and some major components went to museums/collectors, which is very likely the origin of these parts. They have however been exposed to the harsh Danish climate for around 40 years, so I wonder what can be made out of them. Only about five Danish F-84G's survive, out of more than 250 aircraft used...

That'll be around for a while!

I've always been rather surprised that no one in the US has gone for an airworthy Republic F-84 Thunderjet / RF-84 Thunderflash / Thunderstreak, especially considering the latter went out of service relatively recently in Helenic service!

Rob

There was a civil F-84F flying in the 1970s. It somehow ended up back with the Air Force and is now a gate guard at a base in Montana.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Thread Information