Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spitfire Crash - 1941? France?

What does the W/T denote on the tailplane, something all Spitfires had ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Electrically bonded for Wireless telegraphy.

John

Thanks, I thought it must be something simple
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Just another one to throw in- what about 1 Squadron RCAF with codes YO? It appears they converted from Hurricanes in Sept '41.
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

This is likely 222 sqn Spitfire (ZD - G), see the very similar G on another downed 222 sqn Spitfire in 1941 - Sg. Ptacek, Aug 19, 1941, see http://www.conscript-heroes.com/Art0...tacek-960.html.
    If there is another loss documented in mid 1941, we are looking at the replacement aircraft.

Best. David S.

Thank you for suggesting that possibility.

An initial sweep of 222 Sqn losses has not thrown anything up.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Sorry if I'm missing something, but isn't the date on the back 1940, not 1941, and doesn't the location simply translate as 'crash near Amiens? I doubt this helps, but hope it does.

You are correct in that it says '1940' and it appears to be 'bei Desvres' or 'bei Amiens' - or something like that. Tricky to read. That said, there seems to be an accent over the name of the location.

However, there are problems with the year given the sky band on the fuselage and the heavy foliage on trees and hedges. That places it in summer. More logically, then, that ought to be summer 1941?
    Last edited by Tangmere1940; 17th April 2018 at 11:47.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Ah, as I suspected, I missed something - sorry!

Interesting photograph the Staff car looks Mercedes, it's funny but the aircraft looks like its just be gently laid on the grass no disturbance even under the wing
    Pedantic I haven't been that for 4 minutes 36 secs
    http://www.arc-design-it.co.uk

Tangmere1940, the ‘accent’ over the name could well be the dot of an ‘i’, as in the word ‘bei’. That said such captions should be treated with caution.
    Try squadrons with a second letter U. Not that many: DU, JU, OU, WU and maybe FU & AU. The upstroke of the letter closest to the roundel has a deceptive curve level with the centre of the roundel to give the impression of an O or D, but that apparent curve is probably the result of damage. If a ‘proper’ curve in the lettering then it would make a very small O or D and be quite disproportionate to the size of the roundel and the G. That then opens the possibility for a letter U (or even J) in addition to O and D which remain just as valid.

Are you sure it say Amiens? I mean N and M do look similar I guess, but the 'N' looks pretty much identical to the 'M' if that's what they are, I know there's no such place as Amiems but then maybe it isn't Amiens because I can't see an 'S' on the end of the word, as hard as I look?

Thread Information