Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Friends of Duxford. The end is nigh.

For me the decision to move from FoD to the Sally B Supporters has already been made.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

A good idea Moggy ,i just hope that the supporters of Sally B will be left alone as well.

I don't see how it could effect the Sally B and other clubs at Duxford as they are not directly connected. The new club has 2 price levels - Prices start from just £35 for membership or access more with Premium membership from £55.

If the IWM own the site they would need to be negotiated with for the access prices for any Sally B members ,they could [i assume] just refuse reduced /free entry to the site.

New letter and prices arrived today ,strange nothing on the website yet.

New membership offer update

The countdown to the launch of our new IWM Membership scheme has begun!

Having registered for the launch promotion you will be one of the first people able to sign up to the new scheme. On Wednesday 30 November 2017 you will receive your promotional code email allowing you to purchase 12 months’ worth of membership for the price of 10 for the first year.

You can use the code as many times as you like, but it's only valid until 31 January 2018.

There will be two categories:
    IWM MEMBERSHIP
    A couple on HMS Belfast
    Free fast-track access to Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and IWM Duxford
    Members' e-news
    Membership offers
    IWM PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP
    An exclusive event at IWM North
    All the benefits of IWM Membership plus:
    Free access to paid exhibitions at IWM London and IWM North
    15% discount in IWM Shops and cafés at our branches
    Exclusive discounts and priority access to selected IWM events (including 20% discount on Duxford Air Show tickets)
    Premium Membership offers and events

So the next letter arrived and whilst trying to put a positive spin on it confirmed that people who still have six month's 'Friends' membership left will lose the benefits that were promised to us when we signed up, as from 30th November. Benefits we were interested in will be replaced with stuff like being able to visit HMS Belfast. Frankly I'd rather have my unexpired six month's subscription returned.

I checked just to make certain and got this back

Many thanks for getting in touch. That is correct, your current card and member status will continue to be active until it’s expiry date but the benefits will be aligned with the IWM Premium Membership as of the 30th November as part of the transition of the Friends of Duxford scheme. The new scheme benefits are designed to streamline a number of products and appeal to the widest number of audiences across our branches which has meant that some of the previous features which are not part of our core offer have been removed. The impetus for the evolution of our membership is to engage with more audiences and contribute towards our ongoing financial sustainability as a registered charity – keeping sites and collections such as those IWM Duxford conserved for future generations.

I hope this helps in part to explain the change, but I’d be more than happy to answer any further queries.
    So there you go - 'streamlined' benefits start in two weeks time.

Can't say I am best pleased.

Moggy
    Last edited by Moggy C; 16th November 2017 at 15:28.
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Which benefits are you losing Moggy?

Mostly the discounted landing fee

Discount on food and goodies reduced by 5%

Not big money in the great scheme of things, just angry about the way they are forcing it on us.

Moggy

IWM Members had a 10% discount and FOD had 20% discount. Now it's going to be 15% across the board so former IWM Members get a better discount and FOD Members will now get a reduced discount.

Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

Red face

Name:  IMG_5400.JPG
Views: 1097
Size:  134.7 KB

What is going on with changes in RAFM and IWM?

(more my thought then expecting an answer).

So... No old fogey's discount, increased price and reduced benefits as I only go to Duxford.
    Doesn't take much thinking about.

It's probably worth emailing IWM with your thoughts.

They listened once before, but I'm not holding out too much hope this time.

Moggy

membership@iwm.org.uk

If enough vote with their feet, it might result in a re-think.

I will not be bothering to re-join, I am a life member of the Sally 'B' supporters club.

Just to be a bit more positive about the whole thing - my fiance and I are FoD members and really only use it as a way to get free entry whenever we want, although the members' enclosure on airshows is also handy about three times a year. We never eat significant amounts in the cafe, nor buy anything in the shop.

Joint FoD has costed us £90 a year, which we think is good value compared with paying for entry on a per-visit basis, and with the introductory discount under this new scheme, we can enjoy the same level of service (or at least the bits we use) for £5 less.

The sad truth is that IWM is going to receive a lot less central funding in the future so our support is more valuable to them than ever before. My other half and I are going to renew as Premium members for another 12 months and then see where we are when the full-price renewal looms the year after.

I would suggest that those wavering maybe take advantage of the reduced renewal fees for the next year and then, as members, make their views known to the powers that be and see if there's a way of making the changes you'd like to see. You never know - you might be lucky.

Of course, I'd never advise against giving cash to Sally B - although we're not official supporters, we do make sure we give her some cash as well!
    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

It's interesting. I wonder what trading standards would think? If you buy a years membership and they then change the benefits detrimentally...you have not got what you paid for.

I suspect that's stretching the definition of a Friend a bit far Rocketeer ;-)
    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

I'm going away for a few days so I'll yelp at them when I get back but, like Moggy, I don't hold out a lot of hope.

Like a lot of other organisations, whatever the users, members, whatever think - the response is it's better because we say so.

They're invariably wrong...

When you are a friend you expect your friend to reciprocate. As a regular visitor to DX since the mid 70's I became a FOD member in its early days. In the 80's and 90's my visits were several times monthly but in the 00's that increased to almost weekly. My boys would frequently tag along too.
    In recent years the friends benefits have significantly reduced. Since my boys could not enjoy access on my membership they have only been a couple of times in the past three years.
    If IWM want young people to take an interest they need to make their sites financially accessible to them. After all it is the boys that encourage me to buy in the shops and on site eateries.
    I stopped my membership at the start of last year and have been to DX just 5 times since.

I think its a sign of the times, many, many places now seem to tolerate the customer for the sake of the money. If they could have the money without the inconvenience of the customer that would be fine...

I see no mention anywhere of the standard 'annual' pass just for Duxford. Mine has just expired and I was planning to pop into Duxford to renew it, and cannot see any mention in the 'ticket' listing. Please tell me they haven't done something really stupid with that.

52Rocketeer
    It's interesting. I wonder what trading standards would think? If you buy a years membership and they then change the benefits detrimentally...you have not got what you paid for.
    Just curious, but are you invited to Gift Aid your subscription? If so, then I doubt that it is a Trading Standards matter as you have made a donation, not a purchase.

Exmpa

Cannot remember it being gift aided. I'm not advocating trading standards. Just interesting.

I must be missing something here. Daily entry price £18 (with donation) IWM Membership Single Adult, unlimited for a year £35, three visits and it has paid for itself!

Think yourself very lucky you can visit so often as it's an eight hour drive from here and I only visit every other Ice Age.

I have never been a 'member' or 'friend', but simply had the annual pass, at £23, for Duxford because thats the only place I want to regularly visit. The Duxford annual pass served its purpose perfectly. With all this talk going on about new membership schemes etc, I am in confusion as to the status of the pass, is the annual pass being discontinued and incorporated into this new scheme or not ? I wanted to pop in to Duxford, to renew it, as it has recently expired, and I don't know what to expect. Also, that letter printed above in #41, 'IWM membership' and IWM premium membership' , whats the difference apart from the price ? The benefits shown are for the 'premium' membership or what ?, doesn't make any sense.

IWM Membership

Free fast-track access to Churchill War Rooms, HMS Belfast and IWM Duxford.
    Member’s e-news.
    Membership offers

IWM Premium Membership

All the benefits of IWM Membership plus:

Free access to paid exhibitions at IWM London and IWM North
    15% discount in IWM Shops and cafes at our branches
    Exclusive discounts and priority access to selected IWM events (including 20% discount on air show tickets and access to the air show members’ enclosure)
    Premium Membership offers
    Brian
    The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
    DfG on Facebook

Thank you Brian. That makes more sense as far as the membership schemes are concerned.

Duxford/FoD has done very nicely out of me over the years. I've rarely visited often enough to recoup the membership fee, sometimes only once for Flying Legends and we haven't even been to that since they introduced advance tickets only.
    The 20% discount in the cafes/restaurants brings the price down to merely outrageous but I still only use them for the odd cup of tea or coffee having deliberately fed my face on the way.
    I worked on the basis it was for a good cause, and to be fair the FoD enclosure at airshows was a huge benefit.

The special discounted offer for existing members is 30% dearer than when I renewed earlier this year. There's an outside chance I might renew this year, although probably not, and next year no chance at all.

Thread Information