Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: The Victory show 2017

The Victory show 2017

Hi

Just seen this good news on the website.

" We are pleased to announce that the Air show will be operating and displaying on our original display line for 2017!

The Victory Show Organisers are working closely with the Flying Display Director and in consultation with the CAA to ensure that there is full compliance with the new guidance issued by the CAA. This may result in changes to the Display Line and timings of air displays to fully embrace the enhanced safety requests. "

Hi
    All so seen this .

** EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT **
    The 2017 Victory show will see an
    authentic parachute drop from a DC3!!!!

The jumpers will be in period uniform and will jump with period round chutes

Brilliant, any chance of getting the SallyB back as she stopped displaying due to not being able to operate in the new ( last years) display parameters.

The stupid thing with the changes to increase "safety" in the wake of Shoreham, it put the display outside the display site, thus increasing the danger to those that hadn't accepted the terms and conditions on the tickets when attending. I was closer to the display in the village than I was on the site!! And after all Shoreham was about those killed off site and not participating, which the new display line at Cosby appeared to be putting at greater risk, ie the freeloaders. To be fair you could see the folks from Cosby doing their best to move them on and kudos to them.

Just to add some backdrop of the event it is sad that people still try not to pay towards the event in anyway shape or form, I have been three times so far and enjoy every minute the work that goes into the individual reenactment senarios and detail is worth the fee on its own. You then get flying on top of the battle scenes in my view its all value for money

Yes been to it about 6 years now and I was chatting to a guy last year, he lives in the village so had watched it for free for years from home and it was his first time inside the site, he was moaning about the years he had missed the show without realising it and how much more there was to it, he said that from now on he wouldn't make that mistake again.

Shoreham was all about people killed that were not taking part, the changes actually took the show out of the site, thus increased the danger for those not taking part, those in the show accept the risk in the terms and conditions.

Hi
    The air part is looking very good this year .

http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/index.php/event-diary

Hi
    Just a update to this years show next weekend.The flying does look good.

http://www.thevictoryshow.co.uk/inde...y-air-schedule

Looking forward to it, still trying to decide 70-200 with x2 100-400 with x1.4 or x2 or 500mm but having to hump the damned thing about.

The 2 seat Buchon listed G-AWHC...

I've tried both those links and can't find a flying programme in either?

Event Diary > Aircraft

UKAR Twitter account breaking the news that all flying this weekend has been cancelled thanks to the CAA.

Details here: http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtop...76027&start=25

And not only are the public going to be really pizzed off but the owner/operators who again have lost vital work for their aeroplanes

£18.00 entry fee obviously reflects the price for aircraft attending now pushes it a bit for just the ground experiance.
    Everyone looses out especially for 2018 when the public will not be so happy to travel just in case it happens again

The Bell Tolls a sad ring
    Last edited by Trolly Aux; 9th September 2017 at 12:23.
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Was going today but £18 and no airshow, I think I will pass, this will just about kill the show, especially after the farce last year with the airside of it. Though to be fair some aircraft owners will have paid out already to preposition their aircraft, hence they would be out of pocket without the revenue, but who is A. going to pay full whack next year knowing that it will be cancelled or B. Display knowing the revenue might not be forthcoming.

Serious questions have also to be asked of the CAA, they have inspected the site before and amended the display to meet the regulations, they have been aware of the show for 12 months, the site and the area haven't changed, so why during the off season have they not inspected the sites and put in place the requirements beforehand to prevent farces like this happening the day before, one does wonder if there could be a case against them.

DISPLAY BRIEF

Due to the airshow permission issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) with additional restrictions for 2017, the decision has been reluctantly taken to cancel the flying display for both Saturday & Sunday.

This has been a difficult decision to take and one which we have worked throughout the night and this morning to resolve with the CAA.

Having received comment from an experienced display pilot with experience of displaying here at Cosby over several years, following his display last night, he raised legitimate concerns. These concerns have been echoed amongst the other display pilots due to fly here this weekend.

We have a duty to ensure your safety, the safety of the display pilots, aircraft and the event as a whole.

WHILST WE FULLY APPRECIATE YOUR DISAPPOINTMENT AT THIS NEWS THIS WILL NOT AFFECT ANY OTHER ASPECT OF THIS EVENT.

FROM THE EVENT ORGANISER AND THE FLYING DISPLAY DIRECTOR.
    The CAA have lost the plot, if last years display format even though it was awful was deemed to be acceptable, questions have to be asked why the CAA deem this years not to be. The restrictions being placed on pilots to adhere to a box has to be seriously impairing their ability to display safely, as I have said before, those that have paid entry have accepted the risks by the terms of the ticket, so why shift the display away from the show ground. And Shoreham or no Shoreham the amount of people killed no matter how tragic is a drop in the ocean to the amount killed on the roads, heck that one minibus crash with the two lorries wiped out more, I don't see driving banned, so much for bloody risk assessment. Now compare that to how many killed over the last 50 years at airshow to aircraft related incidents, I bet the numbers are less than those killed on the roads in a year.
    Last edited by TonyT; 10th September 2017 at 07:32.

Yes I understand that and yes the weather has been dreadful, I live here remember, but what the post on the website says is

Due to the airshow permission issued by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) with additional restrictions for 2017, the decision has been reluctantly taken to cancel the flying display for both Saturday & Sunday.

And as for that part of the show, I am sorry, but unless someone throws up a housing estate overnight it has had a year to be finalised and cleared beforehand, not a day.
    You could send people out of business and into debt cancelling overnight, weather and ground conditions I get, but as for the above, there is no excuse in this day and age, you DO NOT start booking an airshow, organising aircraft, advertising it and selling it to the punters without the correct approvals in place to hold it..

They lay the blame fair and square at the CAA's door, no others, and that is what punters will see when visiting the website, plus there will be the myriad of prebookers etc turning up to see an airshow having prepaid and find it all cancelled. Punters have long memories and with the abysmal show last year with the display closer to the village than the event, one does wonder how much longer it can go on as a combined show,
    Last edited by TonyT; 10th September 2017 at 10:26.

Having just read a post by Barry Tempest regarding the display permission only being isssued 24 hours prior to the show, I concur that the CAA has a major issue regarding how it does business with these matters.They are charging for a service and failing to deliver in a proper time. I have cancelled my earlier post , the blame is with the CAA as you say Tony.

It is neither rumour or hearsay. The Civil Aviation Authority is in serious crisis, and the internal unease and anxiety will continue at least until the Shoreham inquest in September 2018. Beyond that, who knows. Though some individuals are very committed and energetic, there is something close to paralysis in certain departments.

The situation is also coloured by the fact that much display regulation is undertaken by staff with a background in the Military Aviation Authority( leaving the RAF to see out their careers at the CAA) to whom display flying = fast jets and 250 metre crowd lines, hence the problems faced by Old Warden last season, and the almost unworkable display box imposed upon them ( though subsequently revised).

In which case it is about time someone sued them for loss of earnings / revenue. It is the one thing that scares them, they have been passing the buck onto the industry for years to try and protect their backs.

And as a person that has to work with the CAA, one thing you notice is how each of them deal with and interpretate the rules, often poorly and never the same.

Unfortunately vast swathes of the CAA is now manned by people with simply little of no aircraft experience, the days of those employed coming from the industry are long gone...
    Heck it could be seen in their licencing guidance book they issued, the two examples they used for a metal pressurised multi engined piston aircraft were a C500 ( Citation Jet ) and a C441 (Turboprop!)
    Last edited by TonyT; 10th September 2017 at 10:45.

If you have lost the will to live, read this

http://britishairshows.com/airshow-charges.html

the number of permissions for air displays in 2016 - 2017 was one third lower than in the previous season
    Even the smallest show, with up to 3 display items, will see an increase from £187 to £374 [total corrected - thanks to Ian Gallacher] in the fee to make an application to the CAA for permission to organise a display. This represents an increase in total fees of 100%. At the other end of the scale, the largest shows with 31 or more displays face a 657% increase from £2695 to £20,390, including the post-event charge. The CAA says that this scale of charges is for the coming season only and will be reviewed again for the 2017/18 season.

There is also a proposal to double the fees charged to civilian pilots to apply for, or to amend, their display authorisation.

The CAA must be held to account, I am guessing the senior CAA person on duty for this weekend has decided he does not want it in his lap.
    I feel sorry for all who miss out which this impacts everyone who was going to attend, the organisers, punters, stall holders and most certainly down to one person decision a few hours before the event.
    I think the CAA need to enlist the help of the owner operators, the guys that fly the aircraft who know the limits and constraints of display flying and allowing for slip out areas for the displaying aeroplanes not trying to confine them within an airfield which calls for steeper turns etc to keep in the display axis.

So why did they pull it?
    What was their reasoning?
    Can we find double standards?
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Moe than that, proceeds are used to support the local Hospice.

I heard about a CAA inspector who went on site to perform an an audit of a Stearman restoration.

On first seeing the airframe she exclaimed '' Oh, It's a biplane, is it ? ''

TT that proves what a complete Rse this has been
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Well it used to, but can only find the British Legion and Help for Heroes on the site now

Barry Tempest

''As you will see these major regional air shows have had to be cancelled as far as the flying display is concerned on the weekend.

I spoke to one of the disappointed participants today, Saturday, and this is what he told me.

The application was made months ago in accordance with the required time scale laid down by the CAA in CAP403. Despite this being done the actual permission was granted on Thursday 7th September for a show on the 8th/9th/10th September. A mere single day before the start of the event on the Friday. The prescribed display area was seen to be unflyable for the majority of the aircraft scheduled to take part. These types had been specified in the application. A Spitfire aircrafr flew a practice display over the site and found it impossible to keep within the boundary specified and also to avoid overflying several additional areas deemed by the CAA to be avoided.

The reaction of the CAA GA Unit when informed by the FDD was to suggest cancelling the show if it was not posible to comply with the prescribed conditions.

After considerable deliberation by the EO and FDD the decision was made, with great regret, to cancel the flying element for the 9th and 10th September. They really had no choice but to do so.

This show had been widely advertised locally and nationally and a large number of advance tickets had been sold to the public, many of whom will have made arrangements to travel long distances with possible hotel accomodation in addition. The organisers are left with a huge shortfall in receipts and the enormous task of refunding all the buyers of advance tickets.

All because the CAA GA Unit have failed to do what the Head of that Unit said they would do. To commence processing each application on receipt and not wait until the last minute before starting work. This failing has been endemic within the GA Unit for decades and has been brought to the attention of the CAA on numerous occasions to my personal knowledge. There are always last minute applictions but these should only be processed after those that had been submmitted in accordance with the prescribed timescale. For an EO and FDD to comply with the requirement for early submission of an application for the required permission and yet get treated in this way is utterly intolerable.

Frankly, if I was the EO I would seriouly consider sueing the CAA for their late production of the required permission and to recover both their unrecoverable costs and also for damages to the show's reputation that has been built up over very many years as being a safe and entertaining event at essentially the same venue.

No doubt this affair and the ramifications will come up at the BADA Business Day in October and probably at the BADA/CAA/MAA post-season symposium in November.''

Barry Tempest FRAeS

With dual interests in historic aviation and the restoration of military vehicles, the Victory Show has always been my favourite show, particularly given the East Midlands location. This is only enhanced by the proximity of the airstrip and "apron" areas which are an integral part of the showground. Where else can you see the nose of a Dakota looming over a hedge with a Sherman tank or White half-track in the foreground.

I was there yesterday, and the ground had undoubtedly suffered from the rain on Friday. Open fields, rain and heavy wheeled and tracked vehicles are not a good mixture, as many armies have found in the past. The mud was "challenging" despite the prodigious amounts of straw laid down. Sight of the day for me was the front wheel of an M8 Greyhound not rotating but just snowploughing the mud in its way as it went past.

I am no expert, but the ground conditions on the airstrip, notwithstanding the apparent difficulties of the display area imposed by the CAA, might well have been a game-changer as well.

Although a disappointment, the cancellation of the airshow side was not the ruination of the day for me as it gave more time to chat with friends and other owners of vehicles similar to my current project, wander round the vehicles a couple of times more and spend more time in the sales stalls.

One can only feel sympathy for the show's organisers. One hopes the situation can be recovered for future years and the show has not been dealt a body blow.

I went regardless to watch the tank display, fair play to the gate, they were asking if you were aware the airshow had been cancelled, the site was dead, I would not be surprised if they made a loss and the CAA must shoulder a large portion of the blame for that, the person next to me had travelled down from Sunderland for the weekend, weather wise today had about 5 mins of light drizzle and bar that it was fine, site was muddy under foot, but straw had been laid on walkways etc, airstrip was serviceable, the Dak that was on static departed off it, as did a visiting Pitts special today.

I do hope these organisers effected get together and sue the pants off the CAA, I intend to write to my MP and ask why a display authorisation has been issued and an unworkable one at that a day before an event, when the application has been with them for a year, I do hope others do the same. Because without them being sued and MP's not receiving complaints nothing will change.

I will post a couple of pics, what really peeves is they have gone back to the previous excellent display line just it was empty bar a glider and a couple of others..

Don't blink or you will miss the flying element, sorry about poor pic, I didn't have the lenses I would take for an Airshow with me..

The thing about Cosby is the location allows you to wind back the clock...

Last edited by TonyT; 10th September 2017 at 18:33.

Thread Information