Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Rafale 2017-2

Bulgaria’s ‘pilot president’ Radev flies Rafale fighter during visit to France

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radev-Rafale-2.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	257505

A skilled fighter pilot, Radev was commander of the Bulgarian Air Force before resigning to stand in the 2016 presidential elections. He took office as head of state and, as such, commander-in-chief of the armed forces in January 2017.

He was accompanied on the December 6 flight by Captain Jean-Guillaume Martinez, the Bulgarian President’s office said.
    Source:
    Sofia Globe.com

A video that sharply reminds this is not a sport for all , certainly not for me. Driving a car at night in heavy rains with poor lights and incoming traffic with beams on is almost a walk in the park in comparison. Hats off to the navy pilots.

Accrding to La Tribune, 12 more Rafale for Qatar tomorrow (it was an option)

Le Qatar a levé l’option sur les douze Rafale, d’un montant estimé à 1,1 milliard d’euros, accompagnant les vingt-quatre commandés en avril 2015. Il vient de prendre une autre option pour 36 avions de combat.
    En savoir plus sur http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/artic...RCvV4ARd6Xs.99
    http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/artic...6053_3234.html

Quatar has just signed for 12 more rafale firm + an option for 36 more. Question is whether this new option for 36 more rafales is on top or in replacement of the Typhoon deal that was to be signed...Or to gain more negociations leverage in case they can not have the deal they want.

Around 92M€ per aircraft but then we don't no what is included.
    Last edited by eagle1; 7th December 2017 at 10:56.

. Les appareils seront modifiés par rapport aux Rafale français. Ils n’auront pas de module nucléaire, ni ne bénéficieront des liaisons de communication Otan. En revanche, ils seront équipés du pod Sniper de l’américain Lockheed Martin, un capteur optique et laser qui permet de mettre en œuvre les bombes à guidage laser.

--------------

The airframe will be modified compared to the French Rafale. They will not have any nuclear module, nor will they benefit from NATO communication datalinks. On the other hand, they will be equipped with the Sniper pod of the American Lockheed Martin, an optical and laser sensor that makes it possible to use laser guided bombs.
    No nuclear tech/no NATO Datalink / LM Sniper pod

Source (as above):
    Le Monde.fr
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 7th December 2017 at 11:02.

And Targo HMS (already integrated)... Nuclear module might have interested the Indians on a side note.

A video that sharply reminds this is not a sport for all , certainly not for me. Driving a car at night in heavy rains with poor lights and incoming traffic with beams on is almost a walk in the park in comparison. Hats off to the navy pilots.
    it's sure that flying from a carrier isn't easy, and even more than that by night.. however, one should remember that a camera has much less dynamic (span between the lightest and darkest thing it can record at the same time) than the human eye, so, while you only see black background as it's too dark for the camera that records also the light of the HUD symbols), the pilot does see the carrier lights (and quite well wince there's no other lights around in the darkness of the night).

Anyway, nice to see video , thanks TomcatViP

Qatar's Rafale deals:

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_th...t_38137593.htm

1st deal (2016/03/30): 7.5 billion USD.

a. 24 Rafale F3-O4Ts (18 Rafale C and 6 Rafale B).

b. Training for 36 Qatari pilots and some 100 mechanics.

c. Weapons:
    * AM39 Block2 Mod 2 ASM *60
    * SCALP-EG cruise missile * 140
    * AASM * 300
    * MICA AAM * 300
    * Meteor BVRAAM * 160

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/qata...crisis-1784950

2nd deal (2017/12/07): 1.3 billion USD for 12 more Rafale.

Do we have any idea on what the ratio is on single versus two seaters for the new Qatar order?

Parrikar on the Indian Rafale:

Explaining the price quotient, Parrikar said, “A fighter aircraft is not only (an) aircraft. (The) aircraft is probably smaller part of the total cost — the real cost comes in special equipment. How many of you know that this particular deal (includes) a helmet to be worn by the pilot where a target (gets) locked by just watching the target. It is virtually 360-degree visibility. The pilot doesn’t have to actually check up…. He has to just watch…and press the button. The computer does the rest….”
    He said, “Our Rafales will come with this equipment…. That cost of development of helmet is included (in the deal).”

Stating that Indian Air Force was much superior to Pakistan’s during the 1999 Kargil war, Parrikar said, “Between 1999 and 2014, until Narendra Modi came, Pakistan, through various purchases, had acquired a capacity of 100 km range, whereas we had upgraded our BVR (Beyond Visual Range missile) only 60 km on Su 30. So we were now in danger of being shot down by Pakistani fighters from 100 km away, and not being able to retaliate. That is also part of the (Rafale) purchase.”
    About the process:

He said, ‘start discussion, finalise price and after everything is finished, please come back to me with all documentary evidence’ how Dassault, or the Rafale company, was the lowest.”

Parrikar pointed out that the Central Vigilance Commission guidelines say the government cannot negotiate with anyone other than the lowest. “If you have identified him (any company) as the lowest, you can negotiate. But how do you negotiate with someone and then prove that he was lowest? So…for two-and-a-half years, the file was going around in circles (under UPA). We broke the circle by deciding that we have to take a different approach.”
    Indeed a messy process!

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...pment-4975834/

Quote Originally Posted by Loke View Post
    Parrikar on the Indian Rafale:

About the process:

Indeed a messy process!

http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...pment-4975834/
    LOL probably parrikar didn't know that india already has that "helmet to be worn by the pilot where a target (gets) locked by just watching the target" since mid-80s as it is a standard equipment on the MiG-29 and also later the Su-30MKI.

And if you need a 100km range missile, just buy that damn 100km missile and fit it on the MKI, not as a lame reason to buy the rafale.

On Migs you're limited by the FoV of the missile seeker (basically, front hemisphere). With the more modern systems it is the onboard computer that allows you to lock on any target whose whereabouts are know to it.. In the Rafale's case, you have your tactical situation that is managed through all sensors of the aircraft, with the addition to what other Rafales around can see and communicate to your system, allowing you to lock on targest even behind your 3-9 o'clock line.. something the older russian systems can't do

TooCool, you knwo the godlike law that "No fighter apart F-35 is able to lock in its 6 don't you"? Sinner!

I don't believe in God, I believe in me...

(John Lennon )

From the news thread:

Name:	DQm3eOBXcAEWQw9.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	257586

Flash from the past:

Name:	85995b8dcb27a87167289018dc7962f2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	257585

So how's the RBE-2AA going ?

AFAIK fine, new modes added with F3R in a few months.

It would be nice to have an insight of the F3R and F4, Indian upgrade. Overall I feel that DGA/Dassault/Thales are much more discrete than bebore. What are the new mode added ? where are the report of flight testing the F3R etc...For previous standard much more information was available to the public domain with article, reports, flight tests etc...

Curiously there is very little said about F3R vs F4.

Curiously there is very little said about F3R vs F4.
    Perhaps a change in marketing strategy? The F-35 has progressed so far now that no Western country that needs a top-of-the-line a/c will consider anything else, thus the market of Rafale is limited mainly to the ME and India, and thus no need anymore to talk about F4 capabilities in public (India is already on the hook and in the ME everything is done discreetely so no need to go public).

Just an hypothesis of course...

This is somewhat true and also the UAE was furious after the interview of French Gen in DSI magazine about some technical aspect of the negociation at that time. I bet they learnt their lessons. As for western countries I would say that you are right in most cases but not only because of F35 technology it is also due to the fact that buying the F35 means that you politically count on the US as an ally in case of conflict and you adhere to its foreign policy. It is much more than the aircraft in itself. As an exception, I would not agree that Switzerland would automatically go for the F35.

Well , that could be a legacy of Le Drian, who was re-known for his discretion and persistance. Fact is several time Dassault asked the DGA to relax their policy and allow Dassault to communicate on certain topics and capabilities . this was never granted as far as I know . Given the level of governemental engagement lately , Dassault has probably just stop trying and conform without complainng . This said I would gather that communication to Belgium & Switzerland , is on-going. It is just that for us it is on a need to know basis and apparently we do not need to know , even if we would like to . At least we have some understanding of what F3R is and what F4 is planned to be ,even if we do not get the most minute details . On india, I think we should not expect any info, that was the case during MMRCA and later, even when mud was flying at its worse, so I doubt they will now give any information /specification , better luck with the customer himself .

it is also due to the fact that buying the F35 means that you politically count on the US as an ally in case of conflict

Name:	burritos.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	257591

12 or 24 more rafales for Egypt to be very probably signed late January/early February during Macron's visit.

https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...nd-761291.html

I don't buy the idea that the F35 has the Western World sown up. It has European operators of old F16/F18s to count on (who probably bought American in the 80s for the same reason as they want the F35 now), but is not the be all and end all for everyone.

I also think that it is very common for manufacturers to hold the very hi-tech cards of their system close to their chest. We can only guess exactly what each of the advanced sensor,communication and defence systems are actually capable of on any aircraft.

Without a new engine there is little reason to suspect too many major shifts in Rafale development. More power to anyone that continues down that path. They always could explore undercutting the Gripen NG by exploring Super Etendard and Mirage venues built around single M88 designs.

The Chinese and Russians are their true competition. They easily dominate both.
    Go Huskers!

I don't buy the idea that the F35 has the Western World sown up. It has European operators of old F16/F18s to count on (who probably bought American in the 80s for the same reason as they want the F35 now), but is not the be all and end all for everyone.
    I don’t think anyone believes the F-35 has the whole market sown up if only for the fact that when you buy into the F-35 you buy into a primarily US support program and security structure. If you’re not prepared to live with those constraints then there remain other options. If you accept those constraints, then little else compares.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozair View Post
    I don’t think anyone believes the F-35 has the whole market sown up if only for the fact that when you buy into the F-35 you buy into a primarily US support program and security structure. If you’re not prepared to live with those constraints then there remain other options. If you accept those constraints, then little else compares.
    Excellent point, the recent M-E arms splurge solidifies this idea. UAE is lobbying hard for the F-35, but is exploring other options as well. The purchases of Qatar also show this trend. If you aren’t a NATO nation, diversify your arms suppliers. The F-35 will come with strings attached, and so European offerings will have a market In the Gulf states for years.

And it's even of a shared interest that they should keep buying Western equipment, no matter what the anti-US cabal might repeatedly say.
    Last edited by TomcatViP; 14th December 2017 at 11:56.

anti-US cabal

Conspiracy theories now?

Thread Information