Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newark Air Museum Briefing – 2017

I dont suppose the Harrier/Kestrel spotted in the area is earmarked for Newark Air Museum?
    pb::

As far as I'm aware there was nothing new due to arrive today - I'll double check when I'm at NAM tomorrow!
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Checked at NAM today and definitely not providing a home for a Harrier/Kestrel – did have a brief, but unsuccessful nibble at a Lynx today!

All tables now allocated at 14th October Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble (sold out) ; new seller details also added to website – all Aeroboot info in here!

Noted on a couple of other fora:

“After the HANG North meeting that is being hosted at the museum on 12th October, we have been able to retain the services of the Royal Institute of Navigation East Midlands Branch Astro Van, which will now be on-site for the Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble event on 14th October.

The Astro Van was a very popular display item at our Shackleton / Hastings Anniversary event in May and features various working navigation items including: Smiths periscopic sextant, Hughes hand held bubble sextant & an Astro Compass Mk2 on a stand. This will hopefully provide some additional interest for the aviation enthusiasts who will be attending.”

The event PR has stepped up a notch this week with the following items going live in the last 24 hours on local media & aviation websites:

http://www.experiencenottinghamshire...p-sale-p640921

http://www.airscene.co.uk/news/aviat...ionics-sale-2/

http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/p...tprsep2017.htm

The following message from NAM has been posted on other aviation fora!

"Anyone in the Notts / Lincs area this weekend for the now cancelled Lincs Lancaster Association Members Day – we'd just like to confirm that we’re open on both Sat & Sun, 10am to 5pm (last admission 4pm); and are happy to welcome anyone for a visit!"

Just noticed another Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble update (Quick Guide) for Saturday 14th October, 2017 on NAM’s website – more info in here!

Another mini Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble update (Sellers Listing) added to NAM website for Saturday 14th October, 2017 – more info in here!

NAM has a busy few days coming up with a number of group visits booked in during the run up to the Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble on Saturday; so much so the tables have been set-out today, slightly earlier than normal.

It would seem that a couple of sets of seller passes have gone astray in the post, so if anyone still has not received theirs then could you please contact the museum so that they can make sure that you will gain access on the 14th October.

Full info on all aspects of the event can be found in here!

Good news doing the rounds from NAM this morning – as planning permission has just been granted for the new café & toilet project out on the museum’s Southfield Site – more details in here!

Fresh sellers details have also been posted in here for the Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble sale on Saturday 14th October, 2017.

Also the Weeping Lancaster commemoration has been installed in Lancaster Corner again; well worth viewing – Lest We Forget!

As is being highlighted elsewhere about the Newark Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble sale on Saturday 14 October:

“Some key advice for the event on Saturday from our website:

Admission £4.50 per person {this is to recognise that some stalls in Hangar 2 are in front of the exhibits, which means that they cannot be viewed or photographed in the normal manner. Stallholders will stay on site at the event until 2pm, but we still suggest that you arrive early to seek the best bargains}

A cash only admission point will be available in the Southfield Site area for direct access to the event from 9am; but all card payments will still need to be made via the Museum Shop entrance.”

More information in here!

Good news on the planning; are the brews on you tomorrow to celebrate Howard?!!
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

Thank you with regard to the planning, it’s been a challenge at times but we’ve finally got there with an approval that doesn’t contain too many conditions!

As for the ‘brew’ – always happy to ‘stand’ a ‘brew’ for my friends from Yorkshire; the only condition is a valid passport & visa that’s been stamped at the Bawtry border post!

See you tomorrow for the Aeroboot!!

Over 24 hours since the event finished and still no feedbacK?

I thought it went very well. I gather the only missing stall holder was due to hospitalisation (hope all goes well for him). A reasonable turn out from the public, near Mediterranean conditions in the hangar and a good selection of stuff to browse.

I don't tend to "hunt" the stalls as much as I used to but I was gutted to miss out on a First War Naval Air Compass (Pattern 259) by mere seconds, and at a pretty good price.

I moved on a few more of the scrapyard, jet grips that featured in the "treasures from the garage" thread and the Flying Clothing collection that I took has also now moved on, almost in its entirety, in an "off-site" deal. Thanks to everyone who offered advice about it yesterday.

All in all, an excellent result and here's to March 3rd (which means another daft o'clock start on my birthday!)

Thanks as always to the staff at Newark for a well-organised day.
    The garage that keeps on giving

Have to agree with AM another well organised event that was worth the 5am start from Kent, there's no better way to spend a Saturday with the excitement of the possible finds to see and have.
    Some great stalls I've never seen so many aircraft yokes and grips certainly a nice selection on air ministry's stall.

Me personally I went home happy with a very nice Lancaster FN50 mid upper turret base section from the dome itself with some nice traces of Perspex along with some nice paperwork.

Well done Newark see you in 2018

Brad..

Air Ministry – thank you for your thoughts / feedback; note added regarding need for a birthday cake on Saturday 3rd March, 2018.

Overall the visitor numbers down by 10 on the comparable autumn Aeroboot in 2016, but around 60 down as compared to the March Aeroboot this year; several familiar faces on the buying front did not attend. That said thank you to everyone who supported the event – sellers, buyers, museum volunteer & staff.

Some personal observations; I took about one third of the admission fees as cash transactions out on the Southfield Site in the first two hours. Around ten people were in and out of the event in around 30 minutes! During the afternoon post-event clear up (at around 3.15pm) I helped one seller by keeping a buyer talking while the seller returned from his car – this did result in a sale of a picture.

The museum did not officially become aware of one no-show referenced by Air Ministry until Friday morning; sadly this was not communicated through to me and the contacts on the reserve list of people wanting tables were not notified.

During a mini-post event debrief I was advised about another seller, who turned up, were disappointed that it was an Indoor sale (apparently they thought it was outside & could take up as much space as needed), then felt they did not have enough room and decided to leave without setting up.

Overall I was personally pleased how things went, but yet again a few more loop holes on the organisational side of things were highlighted – notably in relation to shared tables. We will endeavour to work things out so that everyone is treated fairly at future sales.

Booking forms for March 3rd were given out, along with a note concerning possible changes to the layout of the selling spaces for the summer sale alongside Cockpits-Fest on 23 & 24 June, 2018. No doubt there will be more discussion about that next year.

Thank you hawker1966, your comments are appreciated.

The Harrier on the A1 was XV741 from Jet Art on it's way to the painters

note added regarding need for a birthday cake on Saturday 3rd March, 2018.
    You wouldn't get that many candles past the Health and Safety people...
    The garage that keeps on giving

Good to see all went well with the aerojumble, interesting to read the reviews thanks for these, anyone else care to mention what further things were available for sale? Sadly I could not make this one this year,.

I sold some odds and ends of cockpit parts that then paid for a 12AEF flying suit some gloves and an escape knife. I think I broke even but as I spend most of my working days doing things with numbers I tend to avoid it at weekends.

I was very happy with the weekend, only downside was missing the early morning tea run but I don't think it was personal.

Sorry about the beverage situation Bunsen Honeydew – the ‘apprentice refreshment team’ was operating on my behalf, while I looked after buyer admission tickets to the event.

Note to self re. 3rd March 2018 Indoor Aeroboot Aerojumble:

Double cups of tea for Bunsen Honeydew

Fire extinguisher to accompany Air Ministry birthday cake

There’s also now a heads-up for some open cockpit sessions next week during the half-term holiday, info in here on the NAM website!

This was my first aeroboot! I thouroughly enjoyed it, whilstt not into a/c parts, I was impressed with all the instruments etc on sale.

I did spend possibly far too much, mainly on books, but I will be back again providing I am not at work.

All the best

Mark

A very good event. Got some very useful bits for the Meteor project, and caught up with quite a few faces too! The bacon butties made a fine start to the jumbling day.

As usual excellent work Howard and team...
    Restoring Meteor NF.14 WS788, one rusty nail at a time...

chevpol – pleased that you enjoyed your first Aeroboot ‘adventure’ and hop that your work schedule allows you to return to our next Indoor Aeroboot Aerojumble on 3rd March 2018.

Blue_2 – pleased that you secured some bits for your Meteor project and sorry I didn’t get more of a chance to chat.

Please don’t forget the NAM open cockpit sessions next week during the half-term holiday, info in here on the NAM website!

A couple of updates have been added to the NAM website.

The first advises that NAM fund raising efforts can still be supported with old style one pound coins – details in here!

The second provides details of a possible water outage this Wednesday that might affect anyone visiting first thing, – details in here!

This NAM update is being shared elsewhere:

It’s been a busy week here in Nottinghamshire, order now placed for the new Museum Café & Toilet unit, delivery anticipated early 2018 – a few more details in here! Plus preliminary meeting held to discuss the installation of the footings & services for the building.

We still have a couple of days left for our open cockpit sessions that have been running during the half-term holiday, info in here on our website! Vulcan XM594 is on the opening list for Sunday.

#EveryNAMVisitCounts

Just reminding everyone that tomorrow sees the start of NAM’s winter opening hours (10am to 4pm); last admission to the museum 3.00pm and last admission to the Museum Shop for shoppers is 3.40pm. As ever full details in here!

The NAM website is also noting that earlier today it passed its latest VAQAS assessment under the VisitEngland quality assurance scheme – again further details in here!

NAM is currently seeking help from members, visitors etc. to decide on the name for the new café; anyone who might be interested can make their choice by checking out the Poll on the museum’s Twitter feed @NewarkAirMus or, they can email a vote through by visiting the NAM website and following the email link.

Options are:
    1 – Centenary Café
    2 – The Landings Café
    3 – 1661 HCU Café
    4 – Runways End Café

Newark Air Museum’s Remembrance Service takes place at 3pm on Sunday 12th November; more details in here!

Booking forms for the Indoor Aeroboot / Aerojumble on Saturday 3rd March 2018 can now be requested via the NAM website, which also contains details of the NAM Remembrance Service that takes place at 3pm on Sunday 12th November.

Further details of both events can be found in here!

Copies of the new Ken Ellis book “Local Aviation Collections of Britain” are now available from the Newark Air Museum Shop – nice insight into many regional aviation museums!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TwinOtter23; 13th November 2017 at 14:41. Reason: Forgot to add the photo!

Thread Information