Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Just Jane Restoration Work Begins

And still more thanks for the video, fascinating for a novice like me,,

Figure of 8 holes = *snowmen*
    If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

NB The normal method used for the pop rivet removal is to knock out the stem, drill through to enable the head to be removed and then knock out the tail. What we've found is a variety of steel and alluminium stems creating issues and the obligitary spinning pops.
    Until the yanks developed Cherry Max,s..Ggggrrrrr.
    "If the C.O. ask's you to be Tail End Charlie...just shoot him!!!....A Piece of Cake.
    http://spitfirea58-27.blogspot.com.au/

Cherry's are a pain in the rear end to remove that is for sure.

I do hope we can look forward to some more of this in video, I have watched it a couple of times and it really lets you know where the restoration sits and the obvious time factors with only over winter works so she can finance her own rebuild with taxi rides
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Hi All,
    mmitch - Many thanks for the video very interesting to see just what state Jane is actually in and it also makes people like myself appreciate the
    difficulties in getting warbirds like Jane back in the air even more...

Andrew - Your doing your family proud and congratulations to you and the team from the bottom to the top.....

Geoff.

I have embedded the video posted by 'OXCART' into this thread for continuity

SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

What a brilliant informative video. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting this. These are the restoration tours we do each winter. They are free with your admission and free if you're a member.

"The CAA are not interested in having ten years worth of paperwork plopped on their desk, and us saying "right, we're ready to go flying now!""

That bit cracked me up. Looks like you folks are doing a top notch job.

All best.

Andy

So are we in to 2 years of winter works now, so 8 left before she takes to the air !!!!
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Another great video and thanks for sharing.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Next to the Essendon Drome, Under South End, North/South Runway!
    Bloody ripper mate luv it
    Cheer's all far and WIDE!! , Tally Ho from Phil in Oz!

WHAT GOE'S UP MUST COME DOWN

Just brilliant very well done, an inspiration to all that have a mountain to climb.

My other half and I stopped by East Kirkby today to see how NX611 was looking and also to have a proper look round the place as we've only ever been there for an engine running event.

We were lucky enough to arrive in time to tag on the end of a restoration tour. It was a really interesting and inspiring hour or so - some of the costs involved are unbelievable and it's easy to see where the time goes. It was a privilege to spend some time up close with the aircraft, to look inside the fuselage and see first hand some of the panels that have had to be re-manufactured. We plan to come back for one of this year's engine runs, just as soon as they've put her back together for the summer season.

Just Jane NX611 by

If you've not made it to East Kirkby then I can recommend stopping by - there's easily enough to occupy you for a day there and the food in the NAAFI ain't half bad either: you could easily spend an hour taking in the displays there alone.
    "A Flight is much like a short life.... So is a Life just like a, er , long flight...?" - Bernard Chabbert, Flying Legends, (Saturday) 2015.

I sort of realised it was a big job rebuilding something as large as the Lancaster but man some of the parts vary in size and number. Those undercarriage castings are huge but there's only 4 of them. But all those little studs holding the trailing edge! Must be hundreds of them! Makes me look at my Auster project and wonder why it's taking so long! She will be a prime example when she's flying thats for sure.

Thread Information