Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mosquito roll-out - TV959 at Avspecs

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)

Mosquito roll-out - TV959 at Avspecs

https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/vid...8325295867567/

Unfortunately the camera angle is wrong, but there she is....
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Amazing, who would have thought twenty years ago that a Mosquito could be completely reconstructed.
    PZ474 and another one are in the queue according to Classic Wings.
    Yes please.

Some (correctly orientated) photos
    http://mrcaviation.blogspot.co.nz/20...ated-12_6.html

Once TV959 is with the Flying Heritage Collection at Everett, Washington, come next season, it will be based awfully close to another recently flying Mosquito, Bob Jens' VR796. It would be great to see the two in the air together at some point (despite VR796 and KA114 both flying in North America in recent years, both of those are based on opposite sides of the continent, making getting those two together fairly well impossible).

Note that TV959, like the old BAE Mosquito RR299, is the T.III trainer variant, and has been rebuilt as such - dual controls in the cockpit, and no armament.

I know of Rod Lewis' Mosquito, PZ474, which is already well underway at Avspecs (wing and fuselage structure already well completed, with the aircraft slated to fly as early as 2018), but I would love to know what the current direction/status is of the one that Glyn Powell has been rebuilding, NZ2308, and which looked very close to completion as of more than a year ago. Following Rod Lewis' example (#3), there has been some mention of the next Avspecs Mosquito being for the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar(?) - some sources claiming the bomber-variant DZ542 (there is an unrestored bomber-variant Mosquito windscreen/canopy assembly waiting, hanging on a wall in the Avspecs hangar).

Here is a video from the Avspecs woodshop of the wing skins going on the PZ474 wing structure earlier this year: https://vimeo.com/162298045
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 12th August 2016 at 17:19.

No interested buyers for one of these in the UK then?

I would offer, but the missus wouldn't let me.

Regards;
    Steve

Through articles that have been published in UK and NZ classic aircraft/warbird magazines, and online statements from various parties, it would suggest that perhaps at least two New Zealand-crafted/rebuilt Mossies are eventually destined for the UK.

The actual restoration cost would depend on what you have to begin with/work with, but according to a recent interview with Warren Denholm (owner of Avspecs), the going rate for a completed/flying Avpsecs Mosquito is near $8-million NZ, everything said and done.

Hi All,
    Daz and Errol,
    Many thanks for the videos great viewing.... A big round of applauds again for Avtec .....
    Never mind all the cost just glad to see the Mosquito population explosion compared to the sterile years after the sad demise of RR299(RIP).

Geoff.

Great looking aircraft! What happens to the plans for one to be built in the UK? At the Biggin Hill heritage hangar!

Odd that the Biggin Hill Heritage folks only mentioned their Mosquito once with no further details. I hope the deal hasn't fallen through
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

And the WONZ thread to watch is http://rnzaf.proboards.com/post/241492/thread
    Weather looking good for engine runs, rain this morning, but little forecast after that for the next several days (which is a distinct improvement on the last couple of weeks).
    I wonder if they will do the first landing or two at Auckland International (which has a much wider runway than Ardmore), like they did with KA114.

Seems odd that no one in the UK seems to have one on Order, especially considering all the Spitfires and Mustangs about. There are a lot of wealthy guys willing to spend large sums on old aircraft (and even more people willing to spend equally large sums on old autos), so I'm surprised no one seems to have stepped up to return the very iconic Mosquito to UK skies.
    That would give one bragging rights at "the club".
    "Anyone can have a Spitfire, old boy!"

IIRC, when Yegan's was finished, people on this forum (or WIX) said it cost less than $2 million (that sounded too cheap to me), but conversely, $8 million NZD ($5.8 million USD) seems like a bit too much.
    But considering what 1960s Ferraris are going for, still not a bad price to become the talk of Duxford.
    Last edited by J Boyle; 12th August 2016 at 21:56.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

The Biggin Mossie isn't happening anymore. Deal has fallen through.

Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Was there any truth to the rumour that RR299 was destined to go to the BBMF?
    What about `the peoples` Mosquito. Is that a viable project?

There was truth in the rumour, and it went some way along the path, but I seem to remember that the issues around keeping it at Chester had been resolved at the time of its accident.

I'm not going to comment on the Peoples Mosquito project - don't know enough about it.

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield
    Quote Originally Posted by J Boyle View Post
    IIRC, when Yegan's was finished, people on this forum (or WIX) said it cost less than $2 million (that sounded too cheap to me), but conversely, $8 million NZD ($5.8 million USD) seems like a bit too much.
    The figure of $6-7m USD was what I've seen oft quoted.

Does seem an unrealistic figure for what was done.
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

Not so much the case of being able to afford to buy one. More the case of affording to run it. Also they would also have to be able to fly twin engined aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post

6m US sounds about right to me. KA114 would have been at a premium as the first one done, and TV959 was pretty much a complete aircraft when it arrived, which also helped. The level of detail the restoration has gone into also comes at a cost.

Worth considering a contemporary of the Mosquito. Westpac have just completed P38F White 33 for Jim Slattery, which looks absolutely superb. What might that set you back?

Close to the last operational 11 Grp 'B of B' airfield
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebird View Post

I meant to write 'doesn't seem unrealistic'........

Old age brain/digit interface issues as usual
    Last edited by Firebird; 15th August 2016 at 18:07.
    I was with it all the way until letting the brakes off..........

On their Facebook page yesterday AvSpecs shared a video of the starboard prop being spun, I'm guessing by the starter motor. Their caption was simply "The Pressures Building!": https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/vid...2405938792836/
    Last edited by K5054NZ; 16th August 2016 at 05:41.
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

The starboard engine run was conducted a few minutes ago: https://www.facebook.com/Avspecs/vid...4718568561573/
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Awesome!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Wonderful stuff, so lovely to see and hear
    Ewan McArthur

Australian National Aviation Musuem
    Aeromil Auctions
    Briggs Aerospace

OK....I am confused, easily done !!! How many Mosquitos are under active restoration to airworthy condition?

Quote Originally Posted by Planemike View Post
    OK....I am confused, easily done !!! How many Mosquitos are under active restoration to airworthy condition?
    Just two at Avspecs at the moment - the T.III TV959 (to fly within the next couple weeks - then shipped to Seattle, WA) and the FB.VI PZ474 (fuselage and wing already built, slated to fly as early as around Easter 2018 - then shipped to Texas).

There is also Glyn Powell's Mosquito, NZ2308, under restoration to fly in New Zealand, which looked very complete as of early last year, but I don't know what the current status/direction is at the moment (it had been listed for sale for a time, last year, but then the sales page was taken down with no indication of the project being sold).

The only other one I'm aware of is the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association's Mosquito, KB161, restoration. This one is using the first "prototype" fuselage that Glyn Powell constructed. It was initially to be a static restoration, but the direction has now changed to making it a full airworthy restoration, which may be flown when completed.

Thank you, John................

Quote Originally Posted by JohnTerrell View Post

The only other one I'm aware of is the Canadian Historical Aircraft Association's Mosquito, KB161, restoration. This one is using the first "prototype" fuselage that Glyn Powell constructed. It was initially to be a static restoration, but the direction has now changed to making it a full airworthy restoration, which may be flown when completed.
    Hi John,

(I may be wrong) but I thought that the "new" prototype fuselage did not use the correct grade wood? It was proof of concept for the process, and templates. I'm happy to stand corrected....

Whether that is the case or not, the group was apparently able to get an aeronautical maintenance engineer to sign off on the fuselage as being built of proper(-enough?) materials and to airworthy spec after a few minor fixes (at least under experimental category). It seems that after the wing was finished, and was signed off on as airworthy, the direction for the project changed, and work that had been done early on, with non-airworthy components, was re-done to airworthy specifications. Whether or not it is flown when completed will depend on the organization's funding. A forum thread about the subject can be found here, with the discussion of completing the aircraft to airworthy specifications picking up a few posts down and continues onto page 3 with the latest photos from last December: http://www.warbirdinformationexchang...dd3fb&start=15
    Last edited by JohnTerrell; 17th August 2016 at 21:22.

Is one of those engines going to turn in the wrong direction?

Quote Originally Posted by aeronut 2008 View Post
    Is one of those engines going to turn in the wrong direction?
    One would hope they both would be turning in the right direction....

Thread Information