Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A special day, and not just one !

Yesterday, Tuesday, we had on the South Coast, wall to wall grey stuff. Variable cloud base, seemingly between about 7/800ft and 3000ft. Rain threatened all day and did give the odd sprinkle, enough to induce me to walk with umbrella rather than cycle.

At 2.20pm, I heard the familiar 'sky music'. A Merlin was winging its way thru' clag and I could not see it. My first thought was if I owned a few million quidsworth of Spitfire it would, to-day of all days, be sitting wrapped in an overcoat of cotton wool, snugged cosily in its hangar !

I carried on to the Post Office and at 2.40pm again heard a Merlin, this time attached to a readily visible and elegant silhouette of a Spitfire at a height of around 800ft and travelling from West to East. It wasn't long in view and disappeared into cloud somewhere adjacent to the Witterings.

Today Friday, almost an embarrassment of riches ! Conditions were superb. Thin, high, cirrus cloud and not much of it. Visibility sharp. Bright sunshine. From about 2.opm until 4.0pm we had virtually non stop Spitfires whizzing about the sky firstly over Emsworth harbour and then Chichester.

Single Spitfires arriving in the overhead from the West and also from the East. Height; between 1500 and 2000ft. Most of the aerobatics were performed over the seaward end of Chichester harbour apart from the first visit which was seen over Emsworth; the next harbour to the East from Chichester.

The most aerobatics were saved for the last appearance at about 4.0pm. Immaculate loops, barrel rolls, aileron rolls came one after the other. It is easy to imagine, especially on a day that for weather, mimics that in Sept 1940 that, as a spectator, one is witnessing a replay of the events of that year complete with swirls of vapour trails over an area where the life or death drama of the BoB was played out.

As, I imagine with most places, it is a bitingly cold day here on the South Coast. Bright sunshine coupled with a sharpish North Easterly formed the background to the now familiar musical grunt of a Merlin.

At about 1.45pm there came, travelling from East to West at quite a lick, a solitary Spitfire at a height of around 2000 ft. I wasn't at the harbour at the time but, on my way walking to collect some bits from the local hardware.

At 1.55pm the Spitfire returned. this time coming from a South Westerly direction and travelling towards the North East. Same height. On neither journey were there any observable aerobatics.
    Last edited by John Green; 6th December 2017 at 21:32.

The best on I've seen yet over Chichester is when they had two Spitfires up jousting with a Buchon "109". I've only seen it once, not surprising when according to the Boultbee website it's a mere £12,000 to pay for oneself and a mate to go up & relive the Battle of Britain. It was actually quite interesting comparing the relative sizes of the two types. The Buchon was appreciably smaller than the Spitfire.
    It's the one you don't see that gets you (usually)...

A fairly pleasant day yesterday, so drove over to Goodwood mid afternoon. The top floor of the new cafeteria building has been removed. No work in progress. The field looks good with all the new laid areas fully grassed. Very quiet with hardly anyone around.

A single seater Spitfire was standing outside on the fenced off grass lawn to the right of the Boultbee hangar. Damn, no camera. I got up close to the aircraft labelled as JEJ, MK 392 - and it dawned ! This was the GRP fake that had stood out on the field next to the tower when I was last at Goodwood.

Altho' for a moment it fooled me, I doubt it would have fooled most of the knowledgeable on this forum. I thought that who ever built it had done an excellent job. Apart from any other consideration which would not have become apparent unless you were close to the a/c, the giveaway for me, was that the oleos seemed to be at rather an extravagant angle.

The Boultbee hangar was shut so I couldn't ask any maintenance staff about any future flying program.

If you get the angle right you can see daylight through the cowling around the exhaust stacks. What worries me is that it doesn't appear to be secured to the ground in any way. I know it's only a replica but given a good enough breeze those wings are going to generate significant lift and then......
    It's the one you don't see that gets you (usually)...

Having had two untethered a/c blown over by strong winds I'm with you on that one ! For me, MK 392 is rather too nice a 'shop window' to be left unsecured - besides being - I imagine, expensive to repair/replace.

Thread Information