Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stirling 3D/4D Model

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    This is extraordinary - very well done James - a work of art and engineering.

If you don't mind me asking, how is this done? What software etc? You talk about being able to trace diagrams/plans? Surely they are 2D?

Many thanks, Don

Hi Don

I use a program called Cinema 4D, it's one more D than 3D as you can animate virtually everything about the model in time - as I plan to make an animated 'film' of the Stirling (in about 15 years time...!) the animation is essential. The program isn't a technical drawing package like Autocad as that doesn't give the opportunity for the essential artistic effects necessary to provide photrealistic results. Using Cinema will allow me to have flames, smoke explosions and stereo sound. The model is still just the physical 'parts' at the moment - there is still a massive learning curve relating to painting or 'texturing' of the model. It's possible with this program to 'paint' a surface in rusted paint work, rubber, gold, ice, what ever...

The program converts 2D (in one window) into 3D in another, so if I know an item is a cylinder I can adjust its diameter in the 2D image against the 2D drawing in the background while the 3D model does its thing in the other window. I can make the object partially transparent so that I can see the background image. You can also position the items in one 2D plane using the background image, but you need a drawing in another plane to get them correct in 3D space!

Things that are not runing in the XY plane are exactly the pain that you might imagine, however you can manipulate all the points that make up an item readily with a number of tools. In reality I've probably thrown away more work than I have left! Usefully though, you can make invisible parts you are happy with and work uncluttered on new parts.

The model can be covered in pictures too - some of the instruments have photos of a real instrument on them - they look the best. The hardest part of this model is to come - for example painting oil trails from the engine - really you need an artist for this! However I can 'copy' a single rivet head and 'paste' that hundreds of thousands of times so some jobs are a breeze. Look at the floor for a simple example of this.

The animation lets you see what was never filmed - so one day the wing bomb bay doors will open in flight and you'll be able to sit in the bomb aimers position in a landing - in reality I'm ages away from getting this model finished but I'm really enjoying all the processes and research so it's just great all the time!

Cheers
    James

Quote Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
    Hi Martin

I've been diverted a lot by damp in a friends house and other building work - but I made a good fist of some new flashing I am pleased to say!

Still working on a video showing all the holes along the top surface of the Stirling - met some issues with the way the modelling software smooths over the fuselage which involves a lot of 'fiddling' to get smooth.

Added a request to you on your facebook page for some dimensions

Cheers
    James
    Sorry...been away in Glastonbury James...will check the FB page ASAP !!!
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Hi James,

I hear that Cinema 4D "lite" is now bundled with the Adobe cloud so I guess that the software could end up being "adobfied".... Not sure if that is good or bad for its future!

Anyway your work is stunning and totally agree with your aproach using a more "artistic" package rather than a technical CAD package.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi James,

I hear that Cinema 4D "lite" is now bundled with the Adobe cloud so I guess that the software could end up being "adobfied".... Not sure if that is good or bad for its future!

Anyway your work is stunning and totally agree with your aproach using a more "artistic" package rather than a technical CAD package.
    Hi Paul

I wasn't aware of that development - I know that other such packages have been absorbed by bigger companies and er, 'improved along corporate lines' Hopefully it won't happen to Cinema - though in theory I should be able to use my current version ad-infinitum!

Thanks for your kind comments too.

James

Some work to go yet on the rear turret ammo feed system. Apparently the MKI's had the system fitted but didn't use it until a later turret type was fitted! I suspect that the reason for the very long feed rails was to keep the weight of al the ammunition close to the centre of gravity.

Cheers
    James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turret Feed 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	256106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turret Feed 2.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	256107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turret Feed 3.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	256108  

Hi All

Finally I have the facility to generate 360 spherical images and soon stereoscopic, videos and Virtual Reality.

Till then do take the pilots seat and have a look around. This is just a trial to see if it works - the quality and content should be so much better soon - sadly I am a little busy with the rest of life.

https://360player.io/player/tHUsbg/

Cheers
    James

Awesome work.....

I know what you mean about being too busy!

Thread Information