Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stirling 3D/4D Model

I supplied some bits to help restore the only surviving FN25 when it was being restored by restorations unlimited...it was put on display for the day and I went up and did a few 35mm shots.It was a bit dark so I don't know how clear the internal shots are.I will try and locate them over the holiday for you!!
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by hindenburg View Post
    I supplied some bits to help restore the only surviving FN25 when it was being restored by restorations unlimited...it was put on display for the day and I went up and did a few 35mm shots.It was a bit dark so I don't know how clear the internal shots are.I will try and locate them over the holiday for you!!
    Phew! Lucky you! They would be superb, it's the same Turret in the FlyPast article obviously, Whatever you have will help!

I hope thet the turret is around somewhere still and that one day it will emerge into the daylight.

James

No,these are photos I took myself James.

Hi All

Finally I've completed the ammo belt animation of the FN25 turret! The rest will be finished soon!

https://youtu.be/OfHjDMIvRTQ

James

Out of interest...where di you get the info from to do all the labelling and control panel layout??? It's spot on,and there's not a lot of info on FN 25s out there.!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	242950 I found all the photos..not brilliant light wise as my camera flash packed in that day.I'll take them in to work and scan them for you.They're a lot more in focus than this I might add..took this in a badly lit kitchen with the iPad!!!!

Out of interest...where di you get the info from to do all the labelling and control panel layout??? It's spot on,and there's not a lot of info on FN 25s out there.!!
    Hi Hindenburg

Thank heaven for the Aircraft Publications, so helpful, along with the fact that I can simply 'trace' any drawing with my 3D program meaning that the result can be fairly accurate (but are generally always wrong in fact - but not by much). These from AP1659A Frazer-Nash Gun Turrets.

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	242951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	294.0 KB 
ID:	242952

Also thank heaven that the RAFM have thousands of these A.P.s - for me its a problem to get there but worth it.

I read that the chaps at the Restoration company you mentioned couldn't work out the electrical wiring (there's none coming out of their Rotating Joint) that seems odd given that the wiring is clear from the AP and you can see it on the attached pics. The AP reveals a great deal of info, if you happen to have a turret to restore.

I've also developed a 'font' which closely resembles that used on the Stirling, that helps too.

James
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 2nd January 2016 at 18:45.

Wow..that's interesting...do you mind if I use these images in the Turret section of my Stirling bits page ???

Views:	20 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	242996Click image for larger version. 

Views:	20 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	242997looks good to me..again I'll scan these properly for you.Wonder where this turret ended up in the end?????
    Last edited by hindenburg; 3rd January 2016 at 15:15.

Wow..that's interesting...do you mind if I use these images in the Turret section of my Stirling bits page ???
    Not at all, these are from the RAFM copy.

Looking forward to your pics too.

James
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 3rd January 2016 at 17:44.

Thank you James....

Hi Hindenburg

Here's another snippet for the FN25, it contains actual measurements!

Interestingly the turret is tilted from the vertical (assuming that the floor is horizontal), makes you wonder if this was corrected by the apparent 'nose up' flight angle of the Stirling.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 5th January 2016 at 11:27.

And using those dimensions - into the fuselage she goes! Still need to fiddle a good few parts

I hope to show that perhaps these turrets may not deserve the 'always sliding out of the fuselage' reputation that they have.

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret 12.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	243044

James
    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 6th January 2016 at 00:11.

Wonderful...if only the real thing were so easy.I tried filling in the gaps between measurements and drawings with the brother-in-law doing the layout on the computer.The panel resulting from this would' fit it's space and the curve was wrong.The only reason he could come up with is the computer and human are different as far as the curve was not constant for a reason..and the instrument sizes must vary slightly where as his computer filled in the gaps logically...no..I don't know what he meant either.

Wonderful...if only the real thing were so easy.
    Easy? Blooming Cheek!

I don't have many drawings, and fewer actual dimensions, photos are useful but can be incredibly misleading. I do have to jiggle and jostle the parts together for ages but at the end I still know that it's still mostly wrong. As you know the A/C changed constantly in detail which doesn't help!

Still it's very absorbing and I'm enjoying the results!

James

Name:	View 1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	243236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret 15.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	243237

Hi All

I've never seen a really good picture of the underside of a Stirling but modelling it is revealing what may have been there.

Here is a comparison of the best MkI underside pic I have and a comparison with the model. The tail or fin is quite distinct and a common sight, the two black dots could be where the spent cartridges fall out - might be the gun barrel ends? The bottom of the footwell is less distinct but you can sort of imagine it.

The black crescent defining the far section of the turret apeture is quite deep and shows that the turret was not 'flush' - the original photo must have been lit from below to produce this effect - that probably wasn't a common lighting arrangement I wouldn't have thought.

James

So this is what it looks like close up - possibly the gaps were plated over but it would have been a complex piece of work. Unlike other dustbin turrets the FN25 doesn't have a big flange to act as a cover

The turret drops through a circular 'I-girder' and so the oddly eccentric positioning must have been how it was. The shadow on the photo shows that the plating wasn't flush which seems to be asking for 'drag'. However, the girder seems to actually be two similar girders, one on top of the other so there would have been somewhere to put some plating and have a recess.

Taking votes on the plating - or not!

James

Some images of the FN25 installation and pipework.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret Hydraulics 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	244294   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret Hydraulics 2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	244295   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret Hydraulics 3.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	244296  

more shots

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret Foot Well.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	244297   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret Levers a.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	244298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Decending.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	254.9 KB 
ID:	244299  

a few more.... Video to follow

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 sight.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	244300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 aerial.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	244301  

Hi

As promised this is a link to an animation of the FN25. I don't think that this was ever filmed.

https://youtu.be/RUBqaqqvk2o

James

This animation shows what it was like to be a gunner in the FN25. Still loads of work to do on the texturing - but that's for later.

It's very hard to reproduce what you would actually see - It's interesting to note that human eyes can see through more than 180 degrees and in fact the edges of your vision is the shape of a big oval! Your vision is only limited by your skull! So I've widened the field of view to try and get to a human view, agaian getting that closer will be for later.

https://youtu.be/halriSTAii0

Cheers
    James

[ATTACH=CONFIG]244516Click image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	244517 looking fantastic James...as regards dimensions,I have some bomb door parts if you need and shapes or measurements.

Hi Hindenburg

Thanks for the offer, I've got the bomb doors pretty much in place now, next items are the roof emergency hatch, and the rear gun ammo runs, the escape ladder and that ood step thingy for the crew to exit from the Astrodome - dimensions of parts of that would be great!

Cheers
    James

Incredible work James!!
    Mike

Thanks Turretboy

Next set of images will be a walk up the back of the Stirling to see the many holes and items too hard to see on the grainy pics of that period.

James

MkI - Mid Upper ladder pulled forward and pivoted down - hatch has been opened by the external handles held under the door in the fuselage next to the hatch.

Nice day - crew off for a walk I guess!

James

Any updates James??

Any updates James??
    Hi Martin

I've been diverted a lot by damp in a friends house and other building work - but I made a good fist of some new flashing I am pleased to say!

Still working on a video showing all the holes along the top surface of the Stirling - met some issues with the way the modelling software smooths over the fuselage which involves a lot of 'fiddling' to get smooth.

Added a request to you on your facebook page for some dimensions

Cheers
    James

This is extraordinary - very well done James - a work of art and engineering.

If you don't mind me asking, how is this done? What software etc? You talk about being able to trace diagrams/plans? Surely they are 2D?

Many thanks, Don
    never fear, Smith is here

Thread Information