Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Thread: Elusive 1970s RAF recruitment advert - any other collectors and can you help?

Elusive 1970s RAF recruitment advert - any other collectors and can you help?

It was normal to pick up a Sunday suplement in the 1970s and find a full page colour advert for one trade or another in the Royal Air Force, my bedroom wall was covered in them until I myself fell foul to this giggery pokery and joined up.

Fast forward 40 years and most of these adverts are available to view on line EXCEPT my all time favourite which Im hoping someone may be able to help me find. The one in question was a double page spread featuring a Nimrod, Victor, Phantom, Buccaneer, Lightning and I think a Harrier and in front of their respective a/c were the crews.

If anyone could possibly share a copy or supply a link Id be greatly appreciative.

This is not what you asked for, I'm afraid, but here's a double pages advert from Air Pictorial in 1964:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It was normal to pick up a Sunday suplement in the 1970s and find a full page colour advert for one trade or another in the Royal Air Force, my bedroom wall was covered in them until I myself fell foul to this giggery pokery and joined up.
    And that is when you found the RAF recycled the shiny supplement paper into toilet paper and stamped Government property on every sheet, It was and still remains the only Government white paper worth a sh*t...........

Still looking :-)

I remember that Air Pictorial regularly carried RAF recruiting adverts in the seventies. In my attic I have many bundles of these. As soon as time permits, I'l get them out and see if they contain the one you're after, Gary.

p.s. my wife has just read this and commented that it is about as unconvincing as the other excuses up with which I've come for getting my old aviation magazines out of store and wasting a day rereading them!

Perhaps the stupid one which showed an airman apparently saying, "Be Alert" Under which some wag would always write, 'The RAF needs Lerts'.

John

Quote Originally Posted by avion ancien View Post
    I remember that Air Pictorial regularly carried RAF recruiting adverts in the seventies. In my attic I have many bundles of these. As soon as time permits, I'l get them out and see if they contain the one you're after, Gary.

p.s. my wife has just read this and commented that it is about as unconvincing as the other excuses up with which I've come for getting my old aviation magazines out of store and wasting a day rereading them!

That would be great and................I'll let you handle the wife :-)

I have a strong sense that this ad was in one of the RAF year books that my Dad used to buy me from the Royal Tournament...

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar View Post
    I have a strong sense that this ad was in one of the RAF year books that my Dad used to buy me from the Royal Tournament...
    The RAF placed regular ads in the year books, you are right but not this one - I have every year book from beginning to the last one.

and still looking............. :-)

Re post No.2 - that was/is your brother, wasn't it, TerryP?

Anon.

I recall some in the much missed Air Enthusiast.
    They had one typeface that read "Royal Air Force" as if it were applied to the side of an aircraft.
    They seemed to imply if you had O levels or better you could fly a Jaguar.
    There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

hi avion ancient,
    your attic must be related to mine...

regards,
    jack...

Ok think I have found them, you can request Hi Res versions too... linky

http://www.aviationancestry.co.uk/?s...9&endYear=1980

Took a while but we got there... time to start redecorating the bedroom Gary

Dont they all look awesome - sadly I have all of those its just this one elusive double pager thats evading me Tony!

At my age it's the 1950s recruitment adverts that I would love to see again. They must have been pretty good as they inspired me to join!

here you go, 1950 to 1960 adverts

http://www.aviationancestry.co.uk/?s...0&endYear=1960

There is a possible 'long slog' option if all else fails. If you can get to London the British Newspaper Library will have volumes of contemporary magazines. It would be a case of picking a few likely publications and just going through them. If it was a centre spread that will make the search a bit easier.

Thank you, TonyT! You are obviously a scholar and a gentleman.

The pleasure is all mine

Whilst unable to help with the original query, I do have one of my own.

In the early/mid 70s there was a newspaper ad for ground staff which featured several images of various trades arranged round the ad with a blurb in the centre. I kept a copy for many years as I was on/in it but have since lost/mislaid it. Can anyone help?

Welcome HunterT7 & good luck with your search!

These adverts & posters ought to form some sort of display!!
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Looking back at post #2, I wonder whether there are any 21 year old pilots in the RAF nowadays.

Also, assuming there ever really was a Robert Parker, I wonder what happened to him. Did he end up an air vice-marshal?

I don't know about "Robert Parker" but I do recognise a couple of the other pilots. One of them is one of the three editors of the "Out of the Blue" series of books. The third and final one of the series is now available through the RAFBF website.

exmpa

Thumbs up

Hi Tony T,
    In your post #15. 5th picture down. Lance Kiggell was definitely an ex-Halton Apprentice. He was in 88th Entry with me, in same 20 man H Barrack Block room initially, knew him well, he was a good pal. -- now I know what direction he went in, ( Thanks for that Tony ) It'll be 50 yrs come this December since last saw him. As not seen most of these old RAF Ads before. (If I did never took any notice of em ). Like us ex Brats, he'll be a white haired gentleman now, might even still be in Cyprus. Trying to now accept the fact we of that era are now "Historic"---jeepers !!!!!

Robert Parker is almost certainly forumite TERRY P's brother, Terry will be in here sometime to confirm that. He went up to Wing Commander rank as I remember Terry telling me. Well out of the "Mob" now, still going strong he resides over East Coast somewhere. Great posts guys.

Bill T.
    Last edited by WV-903.; 24th September 2017 at 23:36.

Re Robert Parker - Confirmed.

Thread Information