Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TFC Fiat CR.42 Updates

I seem to recall the IWM have a chunk of one of the November 1940 UK BR20 losses with paintwork.

Don't know, but I suspect the colours were the same?
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Just out of interest, are there any pictures of the aircraft as it is at the moment? I have seen the engine....is there a picture of the aircraft? Honestly until I saw this post (today) I wasn't aware TFC had a Cr.42. Is it based at Duxford, does it have a cockpit, how far along is the build?
    Very interested in this aircraft, pleased to see this news

For a selection of CR42 pics at Duxford between arrival in 2006 and departure for completion in 2012 see:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwhitw...th/7402911648/

Thanks for the update Beaufighter VI, exciting stuff!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

Beaufighter VI. Again from the Antipodes, many thanks for the update. I have been following this restoration with great interest from Day 1 and I shall be taking the long trip to see her flying (hopefully for the first time) and then eventually displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman View Post
    Thanks jeepman for the references. We have copies of the original EA/ reports from Farnborough and also photograph of the aircraft still in original colours as delivers to Farnborough from Martlesham Heath in the book "Forever Farnborough" by Peter Cooper, page 73. I have enquired of Farnborough Archives whether they have further images of the same a/c or the second a/c. I have had no response.
    Whilst photos taken at the crash site of the top surface of the upper wing appear to only show two colours we believe this is due to type of film and exposure. Images shown in "Victorian Fasces over England" of the aircraft in Belgium prior to their raid on England show in the over exposed images three colours. This was prior to the engine cowls been painted yellow. This yellow did not appear to wear very well. Was it a temporary finish using German stock held in Belgium, similar to our water wash? Can our Luftwaffe experts shed any light on it?

Much detail on Italian markings can be found at:- http://stormomagazine.com/
    " I'm not young enough to know everything." - J M Barrie 1903

Hi thanks for the link to the externals of the aircraft. Have their been any cockpit photos? Just wondering what condition it's in as regards dials, levers, etc, etc? A friend of mine is working on creating a 3D cockpit and any images would be really useful to see

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR42_292.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	249486 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR42_290.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	249487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR42_293.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	249488

Saw this on Facebook - shows it "together"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/129902440363026/

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Just out of interest, are there any pictures of the aircraft as it is at the moment? I have seen the engine....is there a picture of the aircraft? Honestly until I saw this post (today) I wasn't aware TFC had a Cr.42. Is it based at Duxford, does it have a cockpit, how far along is the build?
    Very interested in this aircraft, pleased to see this news
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/129902440363026/

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Hi thanks for the link to the externals of the aircraft. Have their been any cockpit photos? Just wondering what condition it's in as regards dials, levers, etc, etc? A friend of mine is working on creating a 3D cockpit and any images would be really useful to see

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR42_292.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	249486 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR42_290.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	249487 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CR42_293.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	309.9 KB 
ID:	249488
    Your friend is doing a great job. PM me to arrange a visit for you both.

Thanks, that's amazing! Sent you a message, cheers, Neil

Beaufighter VI, any further progress reports on the Fiat? Cheers

Stop trolling the interwebs and get back to your Bird Dog....... Baz of Auster fame.....

Spent the last week of April with the guys at the Swedish Airforce Museum clambering over their J11 aka CR-42 trying to answer a few mysteries about the aircraft and identify modifications the Swedes introduced on the aircraft.
    We are still trying to find a main oil filter, the same part was fitted to each engine on the BR-20.
    Another crucial item we need detail of is the transfer body fitted in the prop shaft which controls the oil flow to the propeller. Not one fitted to all of the engines we have examined. Anybody help?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The transfer tube is normally a propeller part, not an engine part. What propeller type is fitted?
    Graham Allan
    JP843 Propulsions/Systems Lead

www.typhoonlegacy.com

Beaufighter VI, thanks for the update. Anyone who has been associated with the restoration of a rare machine knows exactly what painstaking work is required - not just physically - but also in research to get the result. Looking forward to the day this machine flies and I shall be making the trip from the Antipodes to see it ! Baz....... back in your box ! We are allowed our non-project fetishes aren't we!

Mustang51 you are correct in what you say. In the Swedish archives we have found fits and clearances for the overhaul of the Fiat A-74 engine, in German, not available anywhere else. In Swedish, maintenance documents for the J11, in English for the aircraft and the Gabelli compressor, in Italian training manual detail of fabric covering, different to any other system.
    The major problem is parts, very few in peoples attics, sheds, garages, etc. They do exist but tracking them down is difficult.

Quick question --if the parts are so rare and almost impossible to find to get the project flying are there contingency plans for when replacements are needed ,servicing,malfunction ,mishap.Can parts now be manufactured once the parts are sourced to make them workable with the CAA?.

If original parts, drawings or suitable alternative can be found the rest is relatively straight forward and can be covered by design change and modification supported by an approved Design Organisation and approved manufacturing company.

Thank you for the reply ,i wish i had the spare parts hidden away somewhere.Good luck with the search

^ seconded. An amazing project whose result will be well worth the wait!
    "those who know keep quiet, and those who don't are frowned upon for asking." - snafu

As the UK winter approaches and restoration becomes the norm rather than flying are there any updates on the Fiat's progress? Here in the Antipodes we are bathed in glorious sunshine.....great for the cricket.......

Is it the distributor valve you are looking for, Beau VI?

The prop looks like an original (or licence built) Hamilton Standard bracket-type prop as fitted to lots of pre- and early WW2 aircraft. Wouldn't one from a similar aged engine do - or is the internal dia of the prop shaft different?

Anon.

The way de Havilland have it, at least in the 1941 bracket manual, the means of getting the oil as far as the piston is not provided as a propeller part, rather the two-position valve, the collector ring on the shaft and a conduit for the oil are provided by the engine manufacturer. The text goes on to say that engine manufacturers were 'currently making provision' for the transfer of oil via the shaft, and 'If it is desired to make use of a controllable pitch airscrew with an engine not provided with these adjuncts the engine manufacturer should be consulted" Certainly they provide no other detail or part numbers for this part of the system. So the thing would be to find something from Fiat on the models of that engine designed for use with bracket props. Oh dear, I can see your problem!
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Fiat decided that the transfer body is a propeller part and is shown such in the propeller manual. We have all of the Part No.'s but no part or drawing. GAVS Turin (Gruppo Amici Velivoli Storici) had a recovered engine with one sticking out of the prop shaft, the engine has moved on, so far no contact with new owners. Hamilton Standard used something similar but method of attachment and dimensions totally different. If push comes to shove we will have to use it as a pattern for redesign.
    Progress is being made albeit slowly.

Can we have a picture, please?
    Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Thanks Beaufighter VI. This is a fascinating restoration and it surprises me that more people are not following. Spit I, Hurricane, Blenheim and Fiat formation.......... something to salivate over.

Cr-42 and Gladiator in formation over Malta grand harbour!

Can you help, what propeller was fitted to a CR-32?
    Last edited by Beaufighter VI; 1st December 2017 at 22:05.

Thread Information