Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still hope for Manston?

Turn it into the nations airliner airfield and get them all in one place and some live have concorde kept live before its all gone.

Within striking distance of EGMH - as was!
    Thanks Paul - I am watching the developments more remotely than from my usual standpoint a few miles down the road. But quite what happens now is none too clear. Presumably the government does not have the power to force a local council to proceed with a CPO. Or does it?

Bethesda, North Wales, Burtonwood & Bromley, Kent
    Charlie, At times it was a bit difficult to hear what was being said between the supporters and the Minister but the impression I got was that it was now up to TDC so still that hurdle to go and as you probably already know not all councillors are supportive even if they have said publicly they are!

On balance I think the election is going to help as it appears all candidates feel the need to support the CPO and hopefully the Labour candidate will put pressure on the councillors. Then again they could spin it out until after the election.

Paul

Thanks Paul. I thought I read that the "owners" were deeply unhappy with the timing of events and were taking it up with the Electoral Commission. But we can only hope that pressures political and popular will win the day with TDC. The fat lady has been waiting a long time to sing her song, hasn't she?!
    Charlie

Keep smiling - it's never as bad as you think!!

Yes the Minister did answer that point and basically he was saying that this situation has been going on for some time long before any election date was announced as was the Select Committee and the PWC investigation. It is just a sequence of events.

Of course, the starting pistol was fired by Mrs Goag when she closed the airport early, she should have thought of the election then. Obviously she probably thought it would all be done and dusted quickly.

I had to stop and think which way the election would effect the case as there is no MP for the area at the moment who had been supportive so from there it could have gone either way. From what I could gather all prospective candidates have come on board, or at least jumped on the band wagon anyway, so it may be difficult for Labour if the Council do note vote for the CPO. I don't know when the next Council elections are but there was talk of supporters standing for election.

Although the TV crew was there, I do not know which company, I did not see any reporters or press photographers.

On a lighter note there was plenty of support from passing motorists tooting their horns, obviously every body was in a good mood with the news and having a laugh

IMG_0537 by p_meddemmen, on Flickr

the Minister was relieved that there was a baby present as he has to kiss at least one on each day of the campaign

IMG_0534 by p_meddemmen, on Flickr

and many hands were pressed

IMG_0570 by p_meddemmen, on Flickr

Paul - thanks for keeping me up to speed!! I keenly await the next development!!

There was One of the BBC news election jobbies on the news this morning and it was UKIPs turn, the person being questioned mentioned Boris's airport was dead and Manston should be used, stating its proximity to HS2 as making it ideal, it was a generic chat involving Gatwick and Heathrow, but they were planing Manston into the equation.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/n...airport-34934/
    Last edited by TonyT; 22nd April 2015 at 22:13.

Ummmm

Manston is nowhere near HS2.

It's pretty close to HS1 though. I suppose that's close enough for UKIP?

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Yes, indeed - you do wonder sometimes.....but H, S and either 1 or 2. So, what's in a number.....? Err, about £40 billion, I think....!!
    Charlie

The win by UKIP of Thanet Council looks like encouraging news for the airport's future.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/n...-to-buy-36686/
    Charlie

Thanks for posting Charlie. I find it odd, shall we say, that the constituents of Thanet have elected a UKIP council, are there problems there that are not immediately obvious to the outsider that would make UKIP a contender? Or is it "just" a vote over the airport?

I wouldn't know, Paul, but if the answer to your last question is "yes", then local feelings in support of the airport's future as an airport must be very strong. Although having said that I think the Conservatives in the old council were supportive too..
    Charlie

Did the earth move for you last night Charlie ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Trust me to be up North and miss it.

Alan - surprisingly not but it did for my son who lives a couple of miles nearer the epicentre!!

Is continental drift OK then?

Spotted this in Historic thread

Osborne seeks planning changes to boost house-building - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33472405

Bet Mrs Goag wishes she had kept Manston open the period she said she would. If this does come in it would have been much easier for her.

Hopefully the CPO is proceeding although it does seem to have gone quiet.

Apparently to be used for Operation Stack to free up the M20 in the current problems.

Moggy
    "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

I wondered how long it would take to do that. I wonder what agreement has been reached with the owners then and whether that is good or bad for Manston long term.

But has it been confirmed? I thought it was just one on a list of alternatives, official and unofficial, with no decision yet made.
    Last edited by charliehunt; 11th July 2015 at 06:00.

I read that as a floated suggestion by a local MP with the owners scrambling on to the bandwagon with other MPs and local authorities ridiculing the proposal. So a long way to yet I would think.

BBC Radio 4 news tonight is saying that disused airfield is to be used for the Stack, so presumably Manston.

So it is to be a lorry park along with Ebbsfleet. Interesting that the county council and Shepway MP's are in favour but the local Thanet MP's strongly opposed. Let's hope the ongoing retesting of the CPO is not adversely affected.

BBC confirmed in news it is Manston with agreement between government, owners, council and police.

As I had previously posted but not with everyone's approval, as I observed.

Indeed.

Thanks for posting Charlie.

Glad I hadn't got round to posting my so called "information" obtained at DX as it was all totally wrong..

Interesting though the article itself is the comments are also very revealing, take particular note of the voting "likes" and "dislikes".

Obviously from the outside it is impossible to know what is actually going on, I wonder if Central Government will risk becoming involved again with no election imminent.

If I have understood the article correctly RiverOak are saying that they are not supplying a bond for the actual purchase of Manston claiming this is not necessary until the CPO is successful. Presumably if the CPO is successful there would be an obligation to proceed with the purchase, if that is the case then I agree with the Council the purchase bond is required now. If there is a failure to provide the bond then maybe RiverOak's critics are correct.

It would certainly be interesting to see what other approaches have been made.

Did the Stack ever reach Manston?

Thread Information