Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1438

Thread: Interesting News Snippets

Speaking as one hailing from Bermuda, Bermudan is just wrong. We refer to ourselves as Bermudians. Thanks.

"Bermudan" NO - Bermudian YES! Despite what Webster's and other dictionaries say, there is no such word as "Bermudan" - and never has been. The correct word is Bermudian - like Bostonian or Canadian or Floridian. (You would never say Bostonan or Canadan or Floridan, just as you should never say Bermudan). Bermudians were recognized in official English documents from 1612. Even ships have been officially named Bermudian. In the Quebec & Gulf Ports Steamship Company service to Bermuda from New York from January 1874 until after World War I, its last steamer was the S.S. Bermudian, which became a troopship following the outbreak of the war. It was such a favorite ship with Bermudians that to this day the name Bermudian remains on a Bermuda tug. Multinational yachts people know the expression Bermuda rigged - never "Bermudan" - when they compete in famous races".
    Last edited by WebPilot; 1st September 2017 at 15:54.

Compellingly comprehensive answer.

I'll stick to my guns in one respect; nautical usage. Sailboats rigged in the Bermudan style are referred to as just that - Bermudan.

I was about to throw MacMillan Yachtsman's Handbook at you but on checking I see that they refer to Bermudian rig !!

However, I'm not yet walking the plank or rolling in the scuppers. My own very excellent sailing bible without which I wouldn't put to sea: Boatowner's Handbook by John Vigor, page 88, refers to the 'Bermudan mainsail'.

Honours even.

Hot off the press ! Looks as tho' Mutti has her back to the wall. Could be tanks to Warsaw and the Stasi to Istanbul ! The latest has it that Mrs Merkel aka Mrs Merton, is battling with both erstwhile enemy Poland and erstwhile ally Turkey.

The Poles are having a bit of an internal shindig with their judiciary - independence of - and the Turks are rounding up potential anti Govt. troublemakers aka dissidents.

Mutti doesn't like it and is threatening all kinds of EU mayhem in retaliation. You'd think she ran the joint. Just a second.....
    And what is that Swiss rag Der Bund up to while all this is going on ? Publishing an article critical of the actions of GB during the Brexit talks as tho' that is any but the remotest concern of the land of cuckoo clocks and Swiss roll !

To think that there are still useful idiots somewhere out there who think that GB's future well being should lie with the EU. As my friend and pupil Richard Littlejohn is often heard to comment:
    "You couldn't make it up".

If you are indeed a friend of that idiot, and not just the fevered imagination that comes from a Sunday bottle of wine, then perhaps you can tell him from me I'm with the late Michael Winner on his character.
    Last edited by trekbuster; 3rd September 2017 at 18:05.

Who gives a fig for what you think or, for what Winner thought ? Littlejohn; unfortunately for you, has the ear of the people and the backing of the best selling tabloid.

You exhibit the classic paranoia of the left. If it dissents from your world view - close it down.

Yet again John you have completely exaggerated my position in your pursuit of your own agenda. I have never suggested that anything is is closed down. The best way to challenge any position is to point out the inconsistancies and innacuracies. That is so easy to do with the Heil.
    As we have discussed before, the fact that the Fail is the best selling tabloid does not mean that it is right or that most right thinking people support it's position. He might think he has the ear of the people, but it is a small percentage of the population that actually read it and probably a smaller percentage who agree with it. The question I ask is ... are those people worth listening to? Of course, but I reserve the right to repudiate their (and your) positions if they are wrong, or based on sloppy research or journalism or prejudice

Oh, and yet again, I am a Centrie, not of the left. Further left than you I'll agree, but then that would be true of a large percentage of the population
    Last edited by trekbuster; 3rd September 2017 at 19:04.

Stories like this **** me off

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/...cid=spartandhp

WTF should the US rescue them, they are British etc and on holiday / living abroad, they are NOT the USA's problem and if the USA elected to take them, then what about the natives of the islands or elsewhere, do you suddenly say, we will take you because you are British and sod the rest? Places on vehicles does not equate to places on aircraft and if you fill the aircraft tasked with the job with other nationals, what happens if an American gets left behind because of no room, or do you then go through the scenario of trying / having to force a pax off to allow the US citizen on board!

You have to have a clear cut plan to evacuate your citizens and draw a line under that, other wise you will be bogged down in a major airlift to empty the islands with the legal and financial obligations that come with your actions, plus you will then have to find somewhere to house them, and sort out immigration at your end.

End of the day you either have a joint policy in place or your Country arranges evacuation of their own citizens as did the Dutch and US, just because you are not born to the islands does not give you a God given right to escape before those that are and probably are in a more desperate state of affairs housing wise. You move to somewhere with a known risk you have to take the good with the bad.

It does also beg the question, if they knew the storm was coming, why didn't they purchase their own tickets to leave ahead of the storm, instead of expecting others to come and get them.
    Last edited by TonyT; 10th September 2017 at 08:34.

Tony,

These stories abound because there is little sense of individual responsibility. It's someone else's fault. It's not my fault. Hold on a while, have a fag, someone will be along to pick up the bits.

".....there is little sense of individual responsibility. It's someone else's fault. It's not my fault."

How true - sums up our age.

Ooops, the Daily fail gets it's wrist slapped AGAIN by IPSO , this time for falsly representing data regarding climate change.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cearticle.html

All 'data' that claims to represent man made or natural climate short term climate change will be either invented or fraudulent.

Short term climate change, for either reason - depending on the definition of short term - is, next to impossible to forecast.

Long term climate change - depending on the definition of long term - is impossible to forecast. The time scale of the process could well encompass several millennia.

John, again you are (deliberately?) missing the point. The Wail has been hauled over the coals for misrepresenting the report and the authors conclusions to suit their agenda and providing a graphic that misrepresented the findings in an attmpt to justify it's own ( in my humble opinion and that of a large number of very clever people) incorrect agenda. Whether you agree or disagree with the data is immaterial, what I was pointing out is that the Cr@p reporting which is a characteristic of the Dacre rag.
    Oh, and by the way, The only fraudulent data is that of the climate deniers. You clearly do genuinely believe in the tosh they peddle. Bless
    Last edited by trekbuster; 17th September 2017 at 21:53.

The debate about AGW - man-made global warming (now conveniently but meaninglessly renamed climate change) still hinges on the data, not any interpretation of the data.

Much of the "data" used as the basis for AGW computer modelling has long been found either fraudulent, inaccurate or both. There is so much doubt and contradiction about the whole AGW culture that no truly disinterested scientist could or should, unconditionally, accept the dogma.

Trekkie,

See 1303. That just about sums up this whole fraudulent dogs breakfast. When notoriously, the IPCC coupled with the so-called University of East Anglia cooked the books, it was pretty obvious that, from that point 'they' could not sustain any credibility.

Anyone who still believes that man made climate change is anything other than completely natural phenomena is one ring short of a tree. Anyone who believes that climate change can be measured to thus provide a conclusive answer in anything less than several millennia is one cube short of an iceberg.

It might be that anyone ten thousand years from now standing on top of an ice sheet 100 feet thick and covering Hyde Park as well as the rest of Northern Europe might be tempted to say: "Do you know the climate change activists were right all the time". Despite all that the developed nations stupidly did by taxing industry, stifling industrial output, restricting development and making the quality of life on Earth generally quite unacceptable, we still found ourselves deep in dudoo. None of the measures adopted by well and not so well meaning idiots made the slightest difference except by introducing a very painful quality of restricted existence to life as it was.

Wakeup, you're being conned !

No, it is only poor scientists that are willing to misinterpret the data to form any other conclusion than there is man-made climate change. It is you who are being duped I am afraid.

We will not agree on this. You have been told by those who have an agenda that they have "proved" the data to be false. Unfortunately, innacurate reporting on the leaked emails report you mentioned has generated it's own self validation amongst climate change deniers. Tell a lie often enough..... There were a number of enquiries into the case at the time and whilst the UEA were criticised for witholding FOI requests because they believed it would break confidentiality agreements, the consensus from all of the reports on the issue was that the IPCC and UEA data was sound. It is only the tin foil hat brigade that wanted to continue the false premise.....

I guess that you are relying on a Torygraph report in 2009. Shame they got it wrong ( although not surprising)

The irony of the Wail's article was that they were caught deliberately adjusting the slant of a piece that was itself trying to prove the use of inaccurate reporting of data. In otherwords they were decrying the use of innacurate use of data by providing inaccurate graphics and drawing exaggerated conclusions. Probably because they didn't actually understand the report or the data it was trying ( failing) to dispute.
    Last edited by trekbuster; 18th September 2017 at 18:28.

Depending on our beliefs, we may or may not have the inclination but, we certainly do not have the means to deflect either man made or natural climate change.

If conclusive evidence pointed to man made interference as the source of global warming, And if the limp wristed Europeans were to shackle themselves to a litany of protective conditions in a Knut like attempt to stem the tide, what do you think the Chinese, the Indians, the Russians and of course the US of A would be doing by way of support ?

Yes, that's right. They'd be joining us in that mad pursuit of industrial immolation. Wouldn't they ? The way ahead is clear. All the industrialised nations of the world would 'come together' (favourite leftie phrase) and sacrifice their hard won commercial progress and destroy the living standards of their citizens - just now, beginning to gather pace - wouldn't they ?

Those whom the God's wish to destroy, they first make mad. Seems to me there's more than an element of that.

Errrr, John, I am afraid you are behind the times. China and to a smaller extent India are leading the way with efforts to reduce emissions, especially as under Trump it seems that the USA is reneging on it's responsibilities as amongst the worlds highest per capita consumer of energy of the industrialised countries

From your rag of choice:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...on-china-will/
    Last edited by trekbuster; 18th September 2017 at 18:44.

John, I would agree with you to a point, only in that this old planet of ours has gone through some pretty dramatic climatic changes without the help of humans, BUT it is also clear that we (ie humans) have not been the best thing to happen on this world, we have only fairly recently accepted that we couldn't just continue dumping our rubbish in rivers and streams and believing that the oceans would somehow deal with it, in fact many of our oceans have serious problems with plastics which are contaminating and killing life in the seas, pushing more and more pollutants into the atmosphere is far from a good alternative, do we really want to poison ourselves?.

For me whether you believe or go along with human effects on climate change is immaterial, but cleaning up our polluting ways should be important to all of us/

Both China and India have planned hundreds of new coal fired power stations over the next few years.

Ah ! You mention an entirely different cause and effect Pollution of our oceans is a most serious matter. It is accumulative and long term. Because of those two aspects it presents a lethal threat to the health of the planet.

Atmospheric pollution is an entirely different matter. Toxic and warming gases readily diffuse. Vegetation including trees act as filters and converters thru' the process of photo synthesis. One danger is that we are rapidly converting forested areas to plain and savannah in the interest of cattle rearing and cereal growth thus robbing ourselves of our first line of defence.

I believe that there is a deal of scaremongering about global warming. There appears to be powerful sponsored agencies that are active in promoting a warming agenda. Whether these people are Luddites or, just deluded simpletons I know not. What I do know is that we can't turn back the clock. The days of the horse and carriage are long dead and gone.

Some see the development of electric cars as a potential saviour. I don't. The concept fails at the hurdle of the first rule of physics: you can't get more out than you put in. Until there is a revolution in the storage capability of electrical power, it will be seriously limited and not able to deliver as would be desirable.

Hot off the press !

Almost exactly on cue. "Scientists got their modelling wrong !"

This refers to a piece published in Trekkie's favourite paper the D. Tel. (report, 19th Sept. inst) A combined report published in the Nature Geoscience declares that the climate models used to forecast climate change acceleration were wrong. Where have we heard that before ?

Research by British scientists found that the 40 year old forecasts of pollution and warming had been grossly overestimated and that related percentage levels were much less than had been predicted.

I don't wish to throw any spanners but could it be that the fiction of man made global warming is just that and really merely a part of a natural cycle that has been with us since the dawn of time?

Ah, I was waiting for this, seems you are a day behind as this was reported yesterday. As usual your analysis is flawed. If you read the article and had actually digested the detail rather than the headline, you would have seen that is fo the most part the greater and earlier uptake of renewable energies, particularly in the developing countries that has slowed the temperature rise and the authors accept the concept of man made warming.

Keep up John
    Last edited by trekbuster; 19th September 2017 at 22:24.

It's all a question of perspective.

The Fail does it again.......caught out being less than accurate in its headlines and reporting

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ainst-MoS.html

Tut tut
    Last edited by trekbuster; 24th September 2017 at 11:55.

Back in the day, unless you warranted having a voice (based on knowledge or experience) you didn't get one, nowadays it seems that anybody is fair game. What a poor and laughable non-story from a poor "newspaper". In the days of decent journalism, people stating "It looked like a Russian Bomber" would have been laughed at and not entertained in any way for for an interview.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Cornwall.html

Surely any "newspaper" of any description would make a few basic checks before splashing lurid and totally false headlines all over the place, must be quiet skies over Penzance, where I live we under one major air corridor, the planes (all commercial) are at altitude and no problem, but with recognition skills like that we would have QRAs every 20 minutes or so at peak times.

Meanwhile the Telegraph keep Teresa's defence of Free Market capitalist dogma very low down in their news. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/ - see if you can find the story. They know how shrill it is starting to sound. It is a serious misjudgement on the part of May, very poor politics, she should have just acted like Corbyn hadn't said anything.

"In words aimed at Mr Corbyn, she added: "We should never forget that raising the living standards, and protecting the jobs, of ordinary working people is the central aim of all economic policy.

"Helping each generation to live longer, fuller, more secure lives than the one which went before them. Not serving an abstract doctrine or an ideological concept, but serving the real interests of the British people.”

All this in support of the abstract doctrines of greed is good and trickledown. Funny old world.

I am not a fan if the on-line independent's editorial style, but this is astute: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7971251.html. Not astute enough to see that this reported defense does more than pay Corbyn a compliment, it legitamises the opposition - precisely the opposite of the undermining tactic that Tory central office and its allied press have been employing since the re-emergence of a genuine opposition.

For the unconverted, Labour were not necessarily 'setting the agenda' until May's speech. Now they are. Time to sack more advisers.

In the meantime - doesn't the fact that the stated long-term goals of security and better lives have not been reached on behalf of the post-Thatcher generation suggest the neo-liberal free market experiment has in fact failed - and isn't she rather stupidly highlighting that with this ill-advised knee-jerk?
    Last edited by Beermat; 28th September 2017 at 18:12.
    www.whirlwindfighterproject.org
    It's all good. Probably.

Capitalists don't really like "free markets" or competition, what they want are closed deals, cartels, guaranteed returns and as much access to public finances as possible, the capitalist mind set does not crave competition or a level playing field, it's only thought is self profit, no concern for how that is achieved.

Hahahaha.......... The comments at the end are priceless.

https://youtu.be/XI7VbDtuZqU

Catalan independence ? Reports carried in most newspapers.

If it wasn't plain then, it is now. The EU do not like the idea. This matter has been simmering on the back burner for a number of years. The Spanish knew it was in the offing, but instead of devising a strategy to blunt or neutralise the desire for an independence referendum, the Spanish thought they wouldn't be amiss in acquiring some international obloquy via the use of Robocops. They've succeeded.

There is plenty of historical reference for these matters to be decided by armed insurrection. Don't be surprised if this matter follows the same path.

Can you imagine - leap required, if the EU had arrived at possessing a useful federal armed police force, supported by an effective federal military and decided to usefully intervene prior to or post our Brexit referendum ? I would guess that our civilian population, without the support of our military, assuming that we still had one that was in any way effective, would take a very dim view.

As it is, if I were any kind of a Catalan constitutionalist, I would be screaming: "the right of national self determination as endorsed by the Atlantic Charter and the United Nations".

Hard to resist that particular bugle call, even tho' some might comment that Catalonia is not - yet - a nation.

Thread Information