Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

If the photos were taken with a compact digital camera as we suspect then they look real to me. Compacts often "over process" photo's, especially in strong or poor light. I have worked in the desert and immediately felt that the light and conditions looked right. But there are some clever people about when it comes to the use of Photoshop, so you can never tell.
    TN

The first 3 photos do look like they're straight out of Thunderbirds...

I think its real.. it was probably buried for years under the shifting sand...
    Cheers,Peter
    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

If pictures 1-3 were a little better, it would be wholly convincing.

Pictures 4 and 5 are very, very compelling.

The 190 picture was poor in comparison.

Bruce

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    I reckon it's the real McCoy. However, if it's a diorama, then holy crap!
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

I also think it's real. What an amazing find. If not then wow incredible work!

James

I'm convinced it's true.
    It must be recovered by all means.

I think it´s real - and I can 3d model and photoshop, so I have some idea.
    Have YOU used the "Will it be at Legends" joke yet today?

North Vancouver (beautiful british columbia) Canada... Tiz a long way frum Devon
    Hi

quote from link

"The plane lay so many years is not bothered by anyone. The finder of the wreck told the RAF and were able to identify aircraft. We do not know why he was only at that particular place. It may puzzle some time find a solution. "

So the RAF in UK should know all about the history of this aircraft.

anyone in the UK going to call the AHB ?

It would be nice to be real but personally it looks like a very good fake.
    cheers
    Jerry

P40E

Jerry,

Assuming real to start with, going on the last two photos.

I am assuming it is a P40E either US serial or UK code.

I rang someone at AHB and they know nothing about it!?

So if the code is known, will be easy to find out if missing. (If any of us stumbled across this would take quite a few photos and anything to ID the airframe).

Trouble is that is looking at it not from a layperson point of view!?

Need to try and contact with 'AWOL' - seems no previous links to site or registration?

regards

Mark

20 spitfires and RAF P-40 in the same month? Seems like it's going to be a good year!
    " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

North Vancouver (beautiful british columbia) Canada... Tiz a long way frum Devon
    Quote Originally Posted by shepsair View Post
    Jerry,

Assuming real to start with, going on the last two photos.

I am assuming it is a P40E either US serial or UK code.

I rang someone at AHB and they know nothing about it!?

So if the code is known, will be easy to find out if missing. (If any of us stumbled across this would take quite a few photos and anything to ID the airframe).

Trouble is that is looking at it not from a layperson point of view!?

Need to try and contact with 'AWOL' - seems no previous links to site or registration?

regards

Mark
    Hi
    user name is actually AWOT, I tried googling it and got ...

AWOT = A Waste Of Time

cheers
    Jerry

Another unusual aspect is that modellers usually show bullet entry holes, these are exit holes for bullet or shrapnel just aft of the oil tank. Could be the oil tank was hit causing loss of oil and engine to sieze. Notice also above the roundel where shrapnel has hit on the inside but not pierced the skin, just left of the small panel.

Also note where hatch has been forced open by distortion of the fuselage the security dzus fastener has torn through the hatch skin flap below the hand opener.

Have you also noticed discolouration of side perspex? Is that what would happen in that environment?

There is just to much detail in the hatch shot to dismiss the photo out of hand. If it is from photo shop or manipulated in some way it is the work of a genius who really does know this aircraft.

Its got to be real. Even on some of the big scale models you don't see people putting the cross heads on screws, rivets pulled where something has twisted, or holes in plastic that represent metal that thin.

Thats before you take into account the last shot is taken with the canopy still shut.

If it was a diorama, to get that level of detail it would be huge.

It could be the RAF is the RAFM, and they are not talking because they are trying to recover it?

Engine

The way the prop and front of the engine has come away seems a bit strange like it has a collector ring behind the prop, or possibly a cowl of some sort but doesnt look right for an inline engine to me unless it is just the front cowl and the reduction gear ,suprised the front of the engine departing doesnt seem to have caused any damage to the wing on its way.

It would be nice to have a translation of the comments on that website.

I would have thought the engine cowlings would be more damaged if the prop had suffered that much damage.

Error

Quote Originally Posted by 8674planes View Post
    20 spitfires and RAF P-40 in the same month? Seems like it's going to be a good year!
    And a proposed Do-24 recovery (war grave) in Poland....

Do24T 1151 of Seenotrettungsstaffel 81 lost March 5,1945 in Lake Resko
    Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

The last shot is taken with a closed canopy.... which would be hard to do with a model. Play with the contrast and brightness,and you can see out the windscreens way into the distance. Doing the same with some of the other shots, and you can see a hell of a lot of engine.

I'm convinced.

Quote Originally Posted by 92fis View Post
    I would have thought the engine cowlings would be more damaged if the prop had suffered that much damage.
    The long nose Allison is very fragile at the front.

I'll accept this is real. The cockpit shots are what convince me, not the instruments but the deeper detail, rivets, structure etc which a modeller would struggle to reproduce. With my, albeit limited, experience of working on aircraft this feels right and genuine. Unless of course it's a 1:1 scale model

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    It would be nice to have a translation of the comments on that website.
    Post #21
    Pedantic I haven't been that for 4 minutes 36 secs
    http://www.arc-design-it.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by richw_82 View Post
    The last shot is taken with a closed canopy.... which would be hard to do with a model. Play with the contrast and brightness,and you can see out the windscreens way into the distance. Doing the same with some of the other shots, and you can see a hell of a lot of engine.
    This is just my take Rich, but I reckon the first three shots are a combination of real photo of real scenery, a model, and CGI.
    The last two shots are possibly of a different real aricraft, but then photoshopped/CGI'd to look like our desert 'find' in situ. The first few shots reel you in, the last couple are the 'clincher'.

Something just doesn't feel real about the pictures, or indeed the lack of them, or any concrete news.
    Hopefully I'm wrong though!

its all fishy to me. was the photograther on his/her own?. normaly with discoveries like this there is always one or two people mooching around in the photo`s.

total lack of sqn code and no photo of the tail serial seems realy odd. any ref number or detail you would try to record. does not matter if it was an old lorry or a sunken ship.

found this in my pond
    www.restorebike.co.uk
    www.ezraysnet.co.uk/bhaa
    (aviation archaeology)

ITS NOT HOW BIG YOUR LENSE IS, ITS WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH IT THAT COUNTS

Quote Originally Posted by brewerjerry View Post
    Hi
    user name is actually AWOT, I tried googling it and got ...

AWOT = A Waste Of Time

cheers
    Jerry
    Maybe that's the clue, he's wasting our time with an elaborate hoax? I can believe that more than I can believe the authenticity of the photos.

Is there oil and gas in the Sahara? And what the hell does 'awot awot' mean!?

My thought on opening the page was "what a fantastic diorama". However, the clouds seem to be correctly positioned in the two shots in which they are shown. The close-up of the opened hatch looks far too detailed to be a model and nothing looks out of scale (thickness of the panel, for example). My concern is the terrain. It looks pretty rocky, yet apart from the loss of the prop and reduction gear there is very little airframe damage - the leading edge of the stbd wing is undamaged. I can understand that sands shift and this may in 194x have been sandy, but would the shifting sands deposit the aircraft neatly on the rocks? It would be superb to think this were real, but "awot" rings alarm bells. Fingers crossed.......
    Along the edge of this airfield, the old prop-shaft airliners stand.
    Altimeters reading zero, formless memories lingering...

theguitarsmith.com

The wart on the ass-end of humanity (Penicuik)
    If it's a fake, then the person has gone to a hell of a lot of trouble to convince us otherwise!

Someone mentioned a lack of unit markings - it's possible that it was a fresh delivery, and there wasn't enough time to paint any codes on, surely? I can think of at least one Spitfire where that happened (and it didn't last all that long in combat, either!)

Although the lack of serial is a bit of a puzzler. The fuselage looks like it still has paint on it, but the upper surfaces of the wings look stripped - probably by the movement of the sand. So that theory (the sand stripped the serial off) is probably out....
    Daren Cogdon

Spitfire fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    This is just my take Rich, but I reckon the first three shots are a combination of real photo of real scenery, a model, and CGI.
    The last two shots are possibly of a different real aricraft, but then photoshopped/CGI'd to look like our desert 'find' in situ. The first few shots reel you in, the last couple are the 'clincher'.

Something just doesn't feel real about the pictures, or indeed the lack of them, or any concrete news.
    Hopefully I'm wrong though!
    "In stereo"

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thread Information