Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BCWM's Jaguar GR.1 Roll-Out

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    You sure the 106 won't fit?
    106 powered aircraft went to St Athan for modification, that included changes to the air conditioning system and of course the engine control system (well the protection fuel control subsystems, the 106 wasn't a FADEC powerplant.) I always thought modifications were made to the airframe mounts for the 106 too (however I never saw all what Saints did). BCWM hope if possible to get her as a ground runner.. Aircraft is a GR1A so only 102s and 104s will do in the end.
    Last edited by Canopener Al; 10th December 2013 at 20:56.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3084.jpg 
Views:	1273 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	223598

Saw this in XX741 and smiled.. Rudder bay is similar..

Quote Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
    Yup I know, thats why I couldn't understand the pin being in.. the only pin the early one had held the can in, well most of the time, had seen the complete can deploy and drop onto the runway before, indeed the trailing edge of the port stabilator has a hole in it for stowing the pin while you pop the can in.

You know what's it missing though, an Aircraft Armed plate on the steps.... She does look good though, even for a ****ty six machine
    The chute inside is a post mod 1148 chute (yes the one for the sprung loaded door). The pin flag is for the wire that is holdling closed the sprung drogue used to extract the chute (pre mod chutes used the cone AKA noddy cap to do that). The post mod fairing was also pinned on the ground as it moved with head splitting speed and force, when the chute handle was pulled.

The hook and chute teleflexs haven't been connected yet.. One of my next jobs..

Well done for saving the a/c and looking after her... always had a soft spot for Jaguars...
    pb::

XX741 is progressing well on phase two of the project. The hydraulic systems have been the major focus of restoration during this winter with Harry and I helping out. Multiple pipelines and components have been refitted in the correct positions. Several major components still need sourcing, Spoiler PFCUs, Roll Dampers, Slat and Flap motor/brake (Control) units, some of the pipes for the later (+ the 8 fuselage to wing pipes) and rear door jacks for the main gear doors. However we have managed to source pressure blanking solutions for the open lines and as from Sunday number one system was filled with Fluid 41 (Civvy OM15) and was pressure tested by the hand pump with minimal leaks. Number two is awaiting a delivery of some more fluid, the charging of the PMV and main/brake accumulators with nitrogen, pressure testing first by the hand pump and ensuring that the rams and surfaces of all jacks driven surfaces are clear to move. With that the functional EHP can be used to demonstrate the rear control surfaces, the air brakes and with the bleeding of the brake lines for the emergency/parking circuits, a functional brake system.

Hopefully this will be complete before the aircraft is towed out for the season.

Of even greater interest is the embryonic possibility that 104s may be able to be sourced. However that is way in the future if it happens.

One thing we have found out is that the spine was not fitted with the centre Teleflex cables when it was finally installed by the team, not obvious. Finding such will be difficult.
    Last edited by Canopener Al; 19th March 2014 at 09:48.

Nice update, I saw on another forum that you hoped to source and install engines in the old girl! I take it there's no chance of sourcing the missing parts form the many jags at Bentwaters?
    Last edited by peppermint_jam; 19th March 2014 at 23:35.
    "If you kick a Tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan to deal with it's teeth!"

That is definitely our long term plan but sourcing potentially serviceable engines is still a pipe-dream at the moment. We may have a potential lead so who knows.

The Everetts have assisted us with our project to date and for that we are extremely grateful.
    Regards.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by peppermint_jam View Post
    Nice update, I saw on another forum that you hoped to source and install engines in the old girl! I take it there's no chance of sourcing the missing parts form the many jags at Bentwaters?
    Last edited by ghaynes; 21st March 2014 at 16:39.
    Graham Haynes
    Bentwaters Cold War Museum
    www.bentwaters-as.org.uk
    www.bcwm.org.uk

Morphett Vale, 30 Klm's south of Adelaide, South Australia
    Excuse my ignorance but what the connection to SAC K Kornick, and why is his name on the aircraft?

No dedicated open day this year ?
    I would have thought that a good fund raiser ?
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Or they could bring back the Bentwaters Airshow held 3 years ago ,was told it wont be back as too expensive to hold ,but i still think it was more about a few locals moaning about the traffic and Joe Public ,that was a very very Popular Airshow in an ideal Location ,bring it back with cheaper Displays and you have a Winner !!

The issues with the 2010 Open Day were that the income generated didn't make it financially viable to repeat. Plus it was a hell of a lot of work for only a handful of volunteers to cope with.
    Regards.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Terryham View Post
    Or they could bring back the Bentwaters Airshow held 3 years ago ,was told it wont be back as too expensive to hold ,but i still think it was more about a few locals moaning about the traffic and Joe Public ,that was a very very Popular Airshow in an ideal Location ,bring it back with cheaper Displays and you have a Winner !!
    Graham Haynes
    www.bentwaters-as.org.uk
    www.bcwm.org.uk

No, not this year. By the time you have taken out the costs, the annual open days didn't really generate that much in the way of funds for the amount of work involved. Museum admissions, Benwaters Aviation Society memberships and donations are what fund the running of the museum and all of the restoration projects.

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by ~Alan~ View Post
    No dedicated open day this year ?
    I would have thought that a good fund raiser ?
    Graham Haynes
    www.bentwaters-as.org.uk
    www.bcwm.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Deskpilot View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what the connection to SAC K Kornick, and why is his name on the aircraft?
    It is common practice to put a name of a pilot against a set aircraft, usually with the Sqn coding letters A for Boss going downwards ...Some Sqns would also put the Sqn lineys names under the pilot like in the case of 6 Sqn in the 80s. That's why Kerry's name is on there.

Morphett Vale, 30 Klm's south of Adelaide, South Australia
    Must be a new fad. Certainly wasn't done in the mid 80's, at least, not on Lightning Sqdns.

Brings back pleasant memories of 1991, meeting Dick McCormac and Craig Hill of the Canopeners at the Paris Air Show. Their Jaguars were in the static display, looking a bit the worse for wear after serious action in their GW1 desert pink. I was helping to run the Ferranti chalet, and we spent a couple of 'interesting' nights in and around Paris with Dick and Craig. They invited my family and I to visit them at Coltishall that August as part of our Norfolk holiday, so very pleased to see Dick's name on this well-preserved example. A sad reminder of the passing of time, eh ... no Jags flying, no Colt any more ...

If Graham doesn't mind, I'll add a little more on the progression of the project. We managed to get some fluid into Number 2 hydraulic system after finding out that two airbrake telescopic struts had been partially dismantled for some reason and having to rob spare items to restore. It didn't help that one pipe was missing from the spine (fitted by another member of the team) so a leak became apparent, wasting the odd quart of oil. Once we blanked that up (flaps and slats circuits are not relevant at this time), we filled Number two up to the reservoir full level. Tried the EHP in the hope that the back end would show signs of movement ( hand pump did start pressurising) but so much air in the system to move anything (EHP did start sounding like its old self again thought). The door uplocks on Number one system still refuse to open, even though hand pump pressure is good. Again pipes need bleeding. Massive bleed of the both hyd systems is required next..
    Last edited by Canopener Al; 16th April 2014 at 23:28.

Thanks for the update Al

Good to see the old girl showing signs of life again

John

Progress Report December 2014

XX741 Lives

Various videos of XX741 as hydraulic and AC power are applied to the frame for the first time in 20 odd years..

Micro turbo turning with oil primed and no fuel. RTM105 working as advertised.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Cockpit electrically live.. Missing FIN1064 mainly now.

GPU power = Taxi and Landing Lights..

Hydraulic Rig = Move those tail Feathers..

EHP and airbrakes..

Progress indeed.

re;

so much for goes into these kind of projects. well done to all!
    pb::

Brilliant work guys!!

If only I lived a bit closer

John

Superb ! Well done all.

More video from this weeks work..

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=3&theater

and the appearance of.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	adours.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	234818

Exciting development - so many questions. Are they yours? Do they run (on the ground I mean)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bar Side View Post
    Exciting development - so many questions. Are they yours? Do they run (on the ground I mean)?
    Yes and hopefully we can get them running in time. The shafts are free and the engines are virtually complete now (and we have access to any missing parts if we find them). Fuel control systems and the issues that made them ground instructional engines, certainly one of them, may have to be addressed for long term operation.

Well done to all of those involved !!
    Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

That's a bit of a coup! Did you manage to get the 104s then?
    Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Exciting development that!! Very well done to you all for securing them! Watching with interest.
    "If you kick a Tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan to deal with it's teeth!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1352.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	237025 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1488.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	283.5 KB 
ID:	237026 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1491.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	301.8 KB 
ID:	237027

Work has been progressing slowly on XX741 this winter and early spring, due to availability of the project leaders due to work commitments. However we have started to rebuild the high lift device mechanisms of the wing (that had been stripped out of the replacement one we received with XX741). Time and the elements had not been kind to the slat drive system, with all the intermediate drive shaft bearings being so corroded that replacement of them was the only solution. All the leading edges had to be removed and the bearing changed to commercial ones. The left hand side screw jacks have been refitted with the left side drive, just the locking of items and adjustment of rollers to allow the slat to properly roll required on that side, before panelling up.. Other side is stripped out and bearings changed, awaiting rebuild.

Great progress guys. Setting up the flaps and slat was one of those jobs that either went right first time or would take ages to sort (or was it just me??)

Serrated spanners.. Lack of.. That will make life interesting.

Thread Information