Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1994

Thread: Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

I missed again. But just as well as I need to stop and downsize

Back to Canberra control columns, while having a major shed clear I found this air brake switch that goes on the top of the column. Going back to the scan a few posts up many used a wider switch with a safety catch. Does anyone know was this one for a particular model, I cannot recall where I got it apart from, it could have come from a PR3, I would have thought a safety catch of some sort would have been present
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Officially now a pensioner

Any ID on this control stick up for auction ?
    https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/a...6-a7f600eb5ff8

Snap Martyn!

Superb Tony!

A right hand to match my left hand perhaps?

However, VC-10-derness apart, I recently took charge of these two grips from my 'contact' in France. A front and back seat pair from a Mirage 2000N, the front grip is the same as the later grip fitted to the Mirage F1 but, the rear grip is very similar to a 'bland and empty 'RAF SAMM 212' Jaguar grip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_WP_20170924_004.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	255948

Name:	thumbnail_WP_20170924_003.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	255947

GYD

Nice acquisition. I flew the 2000B. Would love a stick!

It looks like the front seat stick had a much better diet! A cracking pair, as Sid James used to say.

Nice VC-10 wheel Tony. The cap sets it off nicely. Looking forward to mine arriving.

I'll reiterate to members and guests: If anyone has a "spare" VC-10 wheel they're interested in selling or trading please let me know...

Thanks all.

DC-3 yoke and column on eBay, very expensive but seller open to offers:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-USMC-US...YAAOSwKYNZzUi2

Hi all:

The following US Ebay site has three somewhat stripped front and rear seater grips with a very reasonable opening bid....and no reserve.

Item number: 132355084219
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jet-Control-...AAAOSwc6hZ1XSb

Thanks for the link, Swifter. Not seen them, certainly one to raid the spares box for! The Starlifter yoke you pointed out arrived in double quick time. I've managed to source a repro badge for the centre, but would love the centre mount assembly to hang it from. I suspect I'll be using MDF...

Certainly recoverable and well worth a a go Ian! Not many 'real' Phantom B8's appear these days.

However, I received a nice little package from across the pond from 'Captain Nick' at the Airline Pilot's Historical Society, one very convincing 're-pro' hub cap for my newly acquired B-47 yoke.

Name:	WP_20171011_002.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	353.0 KB 
ID:	256264

GYD

Very nice B-47 wheel GYD! Your's makes 10 that I'm now aware of in the hands of nine individual owners, including the two Nick Louis has.

Crikey!

Quite an exclusive club then? Are you at liberty to say where the rest are, geographically?

Even as a committed/staunch stick grip collector, I have always sought both a VC-10 and a B-47 yoke. Both aircraft served at RAF Brize Norton where I grew up and I have great nostalgic connections! I am just kicking myself for not chasing after the other ex-Brize aircraft yokes that have appeared on, yes that auction site, such as Belfast, Andover and Britannia, those I stupidly overlooked because they were 'yokes' not grips! Hrrumph!

Martyn

GYD

"Are you at liberty to say where the rest are, geographically?"

I have photos of all of them. Two belong to APHS in Chicago; mine in Des Moines, Iowa; one in St. Louis, Missouri; one in Sacremento, California; one in Kennewick, Washington; one in Arizona. Don't know where the remaining three are located.

Interesting nuances: In the left photo below the wheel on the left is one I did some restoration on for a fellow collector. Note the engraved printing on the left stalk. This is the only B-47 wheel I've seen with that font style for the lettering. My own wheel is on the right for comparison. The other photo may have been on this thread before....I don't recall. It's an interesting variation on the B-47 cap I found on Ebay some years ago.....for an intensely satisfying price.

Name:	DSCN2418.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	768.1 KB 
ID:	256267 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2498.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	789.3 KB 
ID:	256268

Does anyone have a Harrier GR3 grip available? Sale or Trade?

David,

Out of interest, are you after the earlier 'Dunlop' style or, the later 'Dowty' type handle?

Martyn

GYD

Here's another B-47 cap, found at Greenham Common. It appeared on a relic hunting forum a few years ago, but I believe went to Alconbury. An almost psychedelic version. Harrier grips seem to be getting quite exotic now. Saturday at Newark jumble might be a place to look though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Ye Daur View Post
    David,

Out of interest, are you after the earlier 'Dunlop' style or, the later 'Dowty' type handle?

Martyn

GYD
    Hi Martyn,
    Sorry, I don't know which maker, but the one I'm looking for has the angled, offset rectangular housing at the top containing the trigger. It's quite a tall grip.

Hi David,

You mean this one?

Name:	WP_20171012_001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	256277

Dunlop AC 66984.

Martyn

GYD

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Ye Daur View Post
    Hi David,

You mean this one?

Name:	WP_20171012_001.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	256277

Dunlop AC 66984.

Martyn

GYD
    Yep, that's the one.

As Ian said above, they are quite elusive now but, certainly not unobtainable. I am particularly after one still attached to it's column! (And an FRS 2 grip too!)

The one in my picture actually comes from XV738, the first production GR Harrier to enter service, I have the F731 somewhere but, we have moved house recently and my archive has been temporarily dispersed!

GYD

"...found at Greenham Common. It appeared on a relic hunting forum a few years ago, but I believe went to Alconbury."

Ian: Concerning the B47 cap; Does your comment mean the cap is now in a museum....at Alconbury? If not, what do you mean?

Hi Swifter. How do you fill the letters and then change the wording to something different, maintaining the correct font?

Hello Swifter, this is what the post said. Yes, gone to Alconbury:
    Something a little more modern than usual, kindly donated by an ex-RAF BD chap who found it during an airfield EOD clearance sweep:
    The initial thinking was it may have been from one of the two B-47s lost on the ground through accidents at Greenham Common, one crashed on landing and was scrapped on site (53-2134 "City of Lincoln"), the other being destroyed by fire after being hit by a jettisoned drop tank from another B-47 while being preflighted (53-6204).
    However, the serial numbers show these two aircraft were Douglas-built and Boeing-built respectively.

Graham Luxton kindly provided another potential source today, Lockheed-built B-47E 52-258 formerly of the 305th Bomb Wing (a descendent of the wartime 305th Bomb Group).
    "She arrived from MacDill AFB, FL, in 1959 to serve as a weapons loading trainer and was parked for many years at the west end of the base next to buildings constructed for rotating SAC bomb squadrons. Engineless, gunless and missing lots of other parts it was cut up for salvage in early 1964 as part of a base clean up before SAC departed."

Sadly, because the centre caps weren't individually marked, there is no way to prove this particular cap belonged to any particular airframe.
    It will be living in the Archive room at Alconbury airfield when I've finished cleaning it up.

"Hello Swifter, this is what the post said. Yes, gone to Alconbury:"

Thanks for providing that detail again Ian. I know you shared it before (been a couple of years); this time I saved it. I had a similar "Lockheed" B-47 cap in the past but traded it for an original Convair 880 wheel cap. I still consider that a good trade.

"Hi Swifter. How do you fill the letters and then change the wording to something different, maintaining the correct font?"

Hello MartynP:

Went back to your earlier posts 1634 & 1637 for context. The switch block assemblies used on the Lockheed P-3, C-130 and (apparently) the TR-1, are engraved into the phenolic blocks. One way I've used to re-letter a switch housing is to fill the existing lettering with an epoxy mix (store-bought "5 minute" epoxy), allow to dry, sand it smooth (220 grit followed by 400 grit) and then repaint the housing (or section thereof) to the desired color. Then apply the new lettering using dry-transfer decals. I generally use the decals available from www.woodlandscenics.com You may not find the exact font but they've have always had something reasonably close to what I've wanted. You can practice applying the individual decal letters on a test object. They're small and you will want to develop a technique (and simple tools) for handling the small decals. It takes some patience.

The photo below is a good example of before and after. The Boeing KB-50 used the same (but different label & paint) switch assembly for the "IFR Disconnect" (in-flight refuel) as was used for the C-1 Autopilot disconnect. I had a couple of original (engraved) C-1 switches but no IFR switch for my B-50 wheel. So I converted one of the C-1 switch assemblies into an IFR Disconnect switch using the process described above. The switch assembly on the right side of the wheel was originally identical to the one on the left. Hope this helps.

Name:	DSCN2637.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	365.1 KB 
ID:	256307
    Last edited by Swifter; 15th October 2017 at 00:48.

Hi Swifter, Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I'll try your suggestion.
    Thanks again.

Thread Information