Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wyvern burials - Gosport

Think I've just died and gone to heaven....................

Agreed James. I have some of Wyvern servicing at Ford but first time i've seen the Fleetlands shot.
    Good to see the Wyvern getting some interesting posts.
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 28th February 2013 at 21:27.

Quote Originally Posted by steve36uk View Post
    Think I've just died and gone to heaven....................
    Surely...

Think I've just died and gone to Wyvern
    Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
    Tonight's Portsmouth paper.

Mark

Just been introduced to the site by "Roborough", as an old Gosportian & ex Fleetlands man, interested in Siskin burials. As a lad in the early 1950's we used to play around on crashed/abandoned aircraft on a corner of the airfield. It was opposite Rowner church, entry via a crash gate. There was a pill box/shelter on the right of the gate. I spent many happy hours crawling in & out of Fireflies, at least one Seafire, I do remember an Attacker there as well. One day we arrived to find the gate padlocked & dire notices placed. The aircraft disappeared shortly after. Hope this is of interest. John

If all the buried aircraft in all the world are dug up...what will we do with the huge spoil heap of soil?

Answers on a postcard....
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

Surely it's the other way around, Andy. There will be a series of holes once the soil gets put back (because of the missing volume of the aircraft)...

Could fill the houses of parliament with the soil,makes more sense than that lot of overpaid liars.

Quote Originally Posted by trumper View Post
    Could fill the houses of parliament with the soil,makes more sense than that lot of overpaid liars.
    now where is the like button.........................
    or use all the politicians as land fill to level out the earth after all the buriad planes are dug out....

Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
    If all the buried aircraft in all the world are dug up...what will we do with the huge spoil heap of soil?

Answers on a postcard....

Simple. Dig another hole and put it in there!

HMS Siskin/Grange Airfield Dump

Quote Originally Posted by dunkeld View Post
    Just been introduced to the site by "Roborough", as an old Gosportian & ex Fleetlands man, interested in Siskin burials. As a lad in the early 1950's we used to play around on crashed/abandoned aircraft on a corner of the airfield. It was opposite Rowner church, entry via a crash gate. There was a pill box/shelter on the right of the gate. I spent many happy hours crawling in & out of Fireflies, at least one Seafire, I do remember an Attacker there as well. One day we arrived to find the gate padlocked & dire notices placed. The aircraft disappeared shortly after. Hope this is of interest. John
    Hi John,
    You were n't from Bridgemary by any chance were you?, please see post 30 we did the same and had a whale of a time, and welcome to the forum.

In another post 49, mention is made of aircraft buried in chalkpits at the airfield, there were two old gravel pits on the southern side of the airfield near was/is the Officers Mess, I have a map showing the location of these pits and will post it when retrieved.

The Hangar above the Wyvern in post 50 is one of two demolished to make way for the RN and RM Records/Drafts building which is now HMS Centurian within the present day HMS Sultan complex, photo is looking north. The aircraft dump location is where I remembered it as a kid, again please see my post 30 on this thread describing our find.

Finally, just thought I would post some old newspaper pics, I asked permission to photograph these pics, they were in a certain Library but in a very large ledger which was too large to photocopy, they were taken at the 1952 Air Day at Lee-on-Solent by The Hampshire Telegraph, (I was much too young to attend this one I am quick to add!),
    I think the second one will appeal to Wyvernfan especially, what is interesting are the still bomb damaged Hangars 6 years after the war. The serial below the wing has the numbers 2 and 7 I think, the other two types are also incorporated in this thread pictured at the same Air Day.

Gerry R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img092.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	301.2 KB 
ID:	205095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img093.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	205096  

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry R View Post
    they were taken at the 1952 Air Day at Lee-on-Solent by The Hampshire Telegraph, (I was much too young to attend this one I am quick to add!), I think the second one will appeal to Wyvernfan especiallyGerry R

Indeed it does Gerry, thank you . Its probably VZ746 which i have down as being demonstrated at Lee-On-Solent in July 1952.

Any other anecdotes or photos would be much appreciated.!

Possible Wyvern Burial Site

Hi Rob,
    The number 2 I mentioned in the Wyvern serial was obviously the letter Z from your last post, and glad to oblige with the image, (apologies for the poor quality).

I have located the map showing the proximity of the old gravel pits to the airfield boundary, this map is from the mid 1930s of an ancient tracks survey, Fort Grange is ommited for clarity, the cross is of an ancient Saxon settlement or remains of, that was discovered in a dig in 1971, so maybe there is hope yet for discovering something more modern. The line of the road past the Officers Mess is still extant today, I have drawn in the position roughly of the 1950s aircraft dump at the top of the map opposite Rowner Church, I will be passing this info on to the other group who are busy musing over other possible Wyvern burial sites, all this is a very long shot, but who knows.

Gerry R
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you select the 1940-1947 tab on the image in the link, you can see the airfield as it was back then.
    http://www2.getmapping.com/Webshop/W...000&width=2000
    Wide open & turning left

Gosport (Grange) Airfield Aerial Pics

Thanks Flat for your last,
    You prompted me to take another delve in the archive to come up with something similar, but also to help illustrate clearly what I have said in my last couple posts on this very interesting thread.

The two attached pics were taken immediate post war, I know that for sure, as the future location of the family home is still a field!.

The first pic I have marked the Church at Rowner Lane (left), the right hand one denotes roughly the location of the fenced off aircraft dump, as I remember it. Interestingly to the left of both markers, a line of what look like Fireflys is shown along the boundary hedge.

In the next image I have marked the Hangars that were demolished in early sixties I believe, to make way for the HMS Centurion Records/Drafts building, one of these Hangars appears in a couple of pics of the dump aircraft in this thread. The lower right hand marker denotes the Officers Mess, the other two lower left are where the old gravel pits were, and maybe,.......and it is a big maybe, the last resting place for the Wyvern and others,........you don't know till you try.

Gerry R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img114.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	253.9 KB 
ID:	205188   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img115.jpg 
Views:	494 
Size:	220.9 KB 
ID:	205189  

Anyone have any further news on this buried aircraft story?

Thanks.

" Buried " Wyvern.

I have a series photos of a Wyvern from 813 Sqdn. " Buried " in the funnel of HMS Eagle. ( pilot survived :-) )
    We had to return to port to " dig it out of " :diablo:
    Also have photos of 3, 813 Wyverns over Mt Etna 1965. 123,124,125, Code J ( Eagle ) If only I new how to post 'em, and lots more FAA 1953/65 era A/C photos ?? Geriatric PC user

Quote Originally Posted by bleeming View Post
    I have a series photos of a Wyvern from 813 Sqdn. " Buried " in the funnel of HMS Eagle. ( pilot survived :-) )
    Also have photos of 3, 813 Wyverns over Mt Etna 1965. 123,124,125, Code J ( Eagle ) If only I new how to post 'em, and lots more FAA 1953/65 era A/C photos ?? Geriatric PC user
    Personal message sent.

Mark
    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Would be great to see the pictures here Bleeming, hopefully Mark12 will arrange that for us.
    I suspect Wyverns over Mt. Etna was 1955.

Great photos in this thread but seriously how likely is it that aircraft were just buried when aluminium always had a good scrap value per hundredweight and there were always men willing to buy it as scrap?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiteful View Post
    Anyone have any further news on this buried aircraft story?

Thanks.
    I think its safe to say that when there's something to tell, it will be told

Quote Originally Posted by bleeming View Post
    bleeming, would love to see those photos as well

Rob

Many thanks to Barry Leeming for these shots of from 813 Sqn HMS Eagle in 1955

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thanks Barry / Mark, much appreciated. I've seen those before except the first one but great to see all the same. The Mt Etna photo in particular is a nice shot, and although its definately not 1965 i cannot remember the exact date!

Rob

Thanks for posting the pics, it always amazes me how the Python engine snapped in the same place as the Wyvern, and that the pilot survived.
    What were the details of the accident?
    I seem to remember that there was an 'Aeroplane' photographer on Albion at the time, who came away with the impression that the Wyvern was a dangerous old bird!

Quote Originally Posted by longshot View Post
    Great photos in this thread but seriously how likely is it that aircraft were just buried when aluminium always had a good scrap value per hundredweight and there were always men willing to buy it as scrap?
    It depends on when, but there were times when the scrap value of the aluminium was well below the cost of recovering it meaning that dumping actually save money. In March 1944, before the end of the war in Japan was even imagined, the scrap price of ali was £45 a ton and it cost £54 a ton to process. A £9 loss on each ton. These numbers would vary as the market got flooded after VE day and as processing became more efficient, but it was far from cut and dried that ali had a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by pagen01 View Post
    Thanks for posting the pics, it always amazes me how the Python engine snapped in the same place as the Wyvern, and that the pilot survived.
    What were the details of the accident?
    I seem to remember that there was an 'Aeroplane' photographer on Albion at the time, who came away with the impression that the Wyvern was a dangerous old bird!
    "Lieutenant Jim Jarrett, one of the squadron staff officers, was making his approach in a very tail down attitude, indicating that he was either very heavy or slow. As he came over Eagle's round-down the aircraft entered a stall and rolled to the right, crashing into the carrier's funnel. The engine and propellers broke off, remaining embedded in the funnel, while the remainder of the aircraft crashed upside down alongside the port side of the island with Jim trapped underneath. The flight-deck rescue crew and firefighters were quck off the mark, and fortunately there was no fire. Jims 'bone dome' took most of the impact and shattered, but he was deeply unconscious and his head and face were dreadful shades of blue and black. The first impressions were that he had not survived, but after the aircraft had been lifted to enable a doctor to attend him he was found to have a pulse. Jim Jarrett subsequently made a recovery (although still suffered from the effects) but never flew fixed wing aircraft again, instead going onto helicopters".

The above taken from the excellent book 'Phantom Leader' by Michael J. Doust.

Rob

6 years on from the start of this thread & mentioned in the legends & myths thread, so any news/progress?
    Wide open & turning left

Maybe the silence speaks for itself?

I grew up close to there and well remember digging up belted 303 and individual rounds of 20mm ammunition in the garden of our council house.
    I have friends on Gosport council and used to be a member myself and I'm pretty sure that if you gave them a half decent X marks the spot they would support a dig. Having said that, Gosport has a very high water table and if you dig down about ten feet it will flood.
    Last edited by snibble; 12th February 2018 at 22:24.

Thread Information