Key.Aero Network
Register Free

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wyvern burials - Gosport

Re Lee Howards comment. Gawd 'elp us from ELF 'N' SAFTEE. Otherwise best of luck from NZ. Hope you can proceed and your toils are rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry R View Post
    Daveg4otu, Mark12,
    I am not sure of any Wyvern burial site at the fomer Gosport airfield, (if any), but I agree there was a fenced off aircraft dump area on the western side of the airfield. As kids from nearby Bridgemary, 4 of us managed to squeeze under the double gates to this compound and explore the 5 or 6 aircraft wrecks within. Interestingly, 1 or 2 had neat holes in their front cockpit windscreen panels, about one half inch (12mm) in diameter, these holes revealed the thickness of the glass, at least the same measurement, we unanimously agreed they were bullet holes!!?.One of the aircraft types was so far off the ground that we could not climb up to inspect the cockpit, I am thinking now if this was the Wyvern and could its remains? still be there?, the other types, we managed to reach the cockpits via the lower height of the wing trailing edge.

All of us were expecting at anytime an MOD Policeman to chase us away, but none appeared, I can only assume it was the year after HMS Siskin had closed. Naval houses were later built in this area, the compound was very near Rowner Church (still extant) which was situated through the boundary hedge and across the old Rowner lane, not far from where we once excitedly explored.

Thanks to Mark and Ollie for bringing this interesting development to our attention.
    Gerry R
    Wyvern S.4 front windscreen armoured panel thickness was 22mm.
    Last edited by Wyvernfan; 11th November 2012 at 13:46.

Cockpit front glass panel

Wyvernfan,

Thanks for your illustration, I was a little conservative with the thickness estimate, but the holes certainly amazed us all. When does the re-build start?

Gerry R

I'm just jealous that you had access to and managed to climb all over one .

The glass panel i have came from an early S.4, but was sadly sledge hammered into two parts.

What happened to the Westland Wyvern collision at littlehampdon, thought most of that was still buried in the bog or push back atleast. Not sure quite where it come from but i have a photo of the tail plane on that dig plus one looking down into the wreck plus a report of it sinking into the bog

Indeed, Gareth.

I think about 1977-ish.

I actually lowered the arrester hook assembly and peered down inside the fuselage.
    Editor: 'Britain at War' Magazine

A 'Key Publishing' product - Britain's Best Selling Military History Monthly

I will have to try and dig out the photo, think i might even have a piece of that one.

Thought most of that was buried still on site together with the engine, you likely pushed most of it back in anyway once you spotted it carried no swasticka
    Last edited by fighterace; 11th December 2011 at 21:35.

The engine and front end still there, but about 40ft down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangmere1940 View Post
    The engine and front end still there, but about 40ft down.
    yes not a bad memory, however who would want to dig that deep for one of those............:diablo:

Deep Wyvern wreck

This one has been mentioned before, however, what intrigues me is, why, when it is supposed to be deep down in a bog wasn't the empty/hollow fuselage full of water?

Was it a Python or Eagle engined version? I'd be prepared to go 40 feet down to get a R-R Eagle.

Just a thought.

Anon.

Tangmere1940 is better placed to answer questions on this one than me Mike, but it was a Python powered S.4 VZ795.

No, the fuselage was still intact. When I opened up the arrestor hook I could peer down the fuselage and hear water trickling down inside. The rear fuselage came out still marked ROYAL NAVY and VZ795. Tangmere Museum later gave it to a chap called Phil Earthey without my knowledge and he offered to let me have it back...but nothing came of that. Not sure what I'd do with it, anyhow.

We could see the fuslage was pretty intact, but at near 40ft long and the back of the fin being about 8ft down....well....work it out!

Wyvern

I can work it out, it's just the hollow bit that I find intrigueing.

If water was trickling then possibly it was running in and running out again via an underground aquifer, or similar?

I don't disbelieve you Andy, I'm as interested in this as the rest of 'em. The thought of intact and relatively uncorroded buried aeroplanes fascinates me. At 40ft long though I would think that it has telescoped quite a bit and may not be as deep as first thought.

I seem to recall that, on this very topic, I posted a pic of the Wyvern tail at Tangmere Museum a year or two back. You could indeed read the stencilled ROYAL NAVY on it.

Anon.

We should have a Key Forum dig weekend! bring your own shovel.

Graham

You'd need lots of very big shovels for this one.......!!!!

Has anybody actually asked Phil what happended to it ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Oh no not ~another~ separate thread about Newark (the unfriendly museum) !

Does anybody know where Phil actually is?

Air Britain Aeromilitaria Summer 1998

20 W.34 Wyvern pre-production aircraft ordered 24.6.46 under
    Contract 6/Acft/S080/CB.9(a) to Spec N.11144 and numbered
    VR131 to VR150. Only delivered to VR134. VR141 onwards
    cancelled. (2,690 R-R Eagle 22)

VR136 Not delivered; to Gosport 5.5.50 (ex CS(A) charge) as
    instructional airframe; derelict at Gosport 1959, coded
    "916" (spurious local code). sometime after 7.59 it was
    pushed into a chalk pit, along with other aircraft, on the
    boundary of Gosport (used as a fire pit) and a bulldozer
    then filled in the pit [Probably either A2226 or A2228].
    Weather - Fair with cloudy patches, clear by early evening.

Quote Originally Posted by paulmcmillan View Post
    .....sometime after 7.59 it was
    pushed into a chalk pit, along with other aircraft, on the
    boundary of Gosport (used as a fire pit) and a bulldozer
    then filled in the pit [Probably either A2226 or A2228].
    I'll wager the back end of this Attacker went into the same pit.

I feel a Seafang coming on...

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Thanks. The TF.1 identity has already been pretty much nailed down. Its the pictured TF.2 that has me scratching my head, as none of them are noted as ending their days at Gosport. My hunch is its either VW871 or VW878 (although both are logged as apparently ending their days elsewhere!)

Nice photo Mark. Do you have any others of the Python powered TF.2 Wyvern.. apart from the one viewed from the starboard rear?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvernfan View Post
    Thanks. The TF.1 identity has already been pretty much nailed down. Its the pictured TF.2 that has me scratching my head, as none of them are noted as ending their days at Gosport. My hunch is its either VW871 or VW878 (although both are logged as apparently ending their days elsewhere!)
    I have a vague recollection of there being an early Wyvern in the Scrapyard at RNAY Fleetlands around 1958. Definitely not an S4, there were a few of them still trickling through the shops as late as 1958. The scrapyard was I believe cleared in the early '60s to make room for the Helipad (or possibly the new apprentice training centre).
    I worked at Fleetlands from 1957 - 63 and I think the yard had been cleared by the time I left.
    Does anyone know if Fleetlands will survive the current round of defence cuts?

Regards
    Bill

This one?

Mark

"...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney…"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark12 View Post
    I'll wager the back end of this Attacker went into the same pit.
    I spot a Miles Master or Martinet rudder on the right too.
    "The best way to stop a crack in the fuselage spreading is to drill each end with a one eighth bit."
    @HorsaJed | Jet Age Museum Horsa Cockpit Project

Mark12 - Thats the TF.1. Its the wingless TF.2 thats seems to be elusive (apart from the pic you supplied for the newspaper article).

Roborough - That does sound familiar. I'll check through and get back on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighthBit View Post
    I thought this was a Firefly at the time.

mark

Firefly to the left.
    It does look nearer to Martinet fin/rudder than a Firefly, especially the rudder line and the relative position of the tailplane.

Quote Originally Posted by OneEighthBit View Post
    Could that be your Master/Martinet back end behind this Firefly?

Mark

Roborough - After a quick check the only one i can find that ended up being scrapped at Fleetlands was TF.2 VW876. This came from Farnborough after a wheels up landing there.

This one?

Mark

Thread Information