Decal/transfer question.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 1 month

Hi,

A rather odd ball question, but bear with me….

I decided after the death of my Grandfather earlier this year, that it would be a nice touch to ‘forward deploy’ an airfix model at his graveside, which I swap every few weeks or so. (Currently a 1/72 model of an Avro Vulcan B2).

What I have discovered, is that because the model is exposed to the elements, the decals become very brittle, and break off.

Is there anyway you can think of which would keep the decals on more firmly?

Out of interest, his funeral caused quite a stir in the sleepy Norfolk village of Flordon back in January. Due to his love of aviation, especially the Vulcan, it was decided that one piece of music played during the service would be slightly….different!

I found up an old cassette tape entitled ‘The Mighty Vulcan.’ An extract of this was played….at FULL volume!

More specifically, it was a recording of a touch & go (complete with a superb Vulcan howl !!). It certainly made the hair on the back of peoples necks stand up! The vicar certainly had a smile on his face!

Thanks

Matt

Original post

Member for

16 years 4 months

Try a coat of Yacht varnish.
Don't get the modern varnish's, they are water based (Clean brushes with water type) because they are rubbish. Other exterior varnish's would be OK but the Yachty stuff is the best.
Just coat the decal and about 3mm past its edges. If you coat the whole model it will be too glossy.

Member for

17 years 6 months

My models are (usually) kept indoors!
However, my standard procedure for applying decals is as follows:

- After painting, rub over with a tack-cloth to remove grease, dust etc.
- Mask off.
- Apply 1 or 2 coats of gloss varnish, I use either "Railmatch" or "Precision Paints" aerosols. (TIP: Do this outside and wear a respirator-type mask!)
You can also use Future/ Klear - Apply with a soft, wide brush, or preferably with an airbrush.
-Allow to dry for at least 24 hours.
- Apply decals, using setting solution if necessary (e.g. Microset/ Microsol).
- Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Inspect. Any "silvering" can be cured by pricking with a needle and applying more setting solution to the offending area.
- When you are happy with the result, and everything is nice & dry, apply your top coat of varnish. (My preferred finish is Satin.)

Hope this helps!

Don

Member for

17 years 5 months

Hi,

A rather odd ball question, but bear with me….

I decided after the death of my Grandfather earlier this year, that it would be a nice touch to ‘forward deploy’ an airfix model at his graveside, which I swap every few weeks or so. (Currently a 1/72 model of an Avro Vulcan B2).

What I have discovered, is that because the model is exposed to the elements, the decals become very brittle, and break off.

Is there anyway you can think of which would keep the decals on more firmly?

Out of interest, his funeral caused quite a stir in the sleepy Norfolk village of Flordon back in January. Due to his love of aviation, especially the Vulcan, it was decided that one piece of music played during the service would be slightly….different!

I found up an old cassette tape entitled ‘The Mighty Vulcan.’ An extract of this was played….at FULL volume!

More specifically, it was a recording of a touch & go (complete with a superb Vulcan howl !!). It certainly made the hair on the back of peoples necks stand up! The vicar certainly had a smile on his face!

Thanks

Matt

I got to say this Matt, He would be Sooooo proud of you.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it goes.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Matt,

I think that the "forward deployment" of the Vulcan is a lovely touch.

Whatever method you use for applying & setting/ sealing the decals, please keep us updated on how they stand up to the elements.

Don