Peter Farrar Model Collection

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 6 months

Yesterday whilst having a look amongst the stalls at the Dunkeswell Air Day, I came across a stall selling completed model kits. There were some rare and interesting sub types on show and so I purchased a few including a North American P-64.

The blurb in the box says that they were all made by a gentleman called Peter Farrar who built over 1500 different aircraft kits and that the aircraft in the past were once displayed at the Air Ministry and in various aircraft museums.

Does anyone know more about the gentleman or the model collection?

Best wishes,

Martin

Original post

Member for

18 years 1 month

Peter Farrar's collection was featured in the modelling press in the 1960's. He worked in 1/72 and had a couple of rooms full of shelves in his home which AFAIK was in the home counties.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Thanks for the info. I do have a phone number in one of the boxes and think might be paying a visit to see what else is on offer in the next few weeks. Only problem is, that like the ones I bought at Dunkeswell (two Harvards, the P-64, a Stearman and a Hind), I just dont seem to have the space to put them!!

Best wishes,

Martin

Member for

18 years 6 months

I'm off on Monday to go and have a look to see what is still in 'the collection'. Will report back......probably come home with one or two I bet too.

Best wishes,

Martin

Member for

18 years 6 months

Well................I went to the gentleman's house and after looking through 700 or so boxes came away with....9. It was a hard decision on what to have, but basically I just took away models of things I've ever flown or flown in and ended up with 2 Chipmunks, 2 Harvards, a Piston and a Jet Provost, a TBM-3R Avenger, Bird Dog and a T-28B Trojan.

I'm going back again for another look soon, but if anyone else is interested the owner said they are more than welcome to go and have a look. He's aviation mad as much as we are and I found it was well worth the visit. He anyone is interested to know more, please PM me.

Best wishes to all,

Martin

Member for

20 years 2 months

Where is he located ?

Member for

18 years 6 months

In Exmouth.

Martin

Member for

20 years 2 months

Peter Farrar and the 1,000 model collection

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2199&page=90

Here are the full details of the Peter Farrar 1,000 model collection,including historic cuttings about his collection.

Member for

18 years 6 months

What an interesting read. I knew that a lot of models were built, but never that many. I note that all the Exmouth ones are not RAF machines, so these must have been sold independently.

Note that one of the models in the photos is currently residing in my house - one of his RCAF Chipmunks.

Best wishes,

Martin

Member for

15 years 5 months

Peter Farrar collection

As his daughter I am able to say that he built a lot more than the quoted 1,000 and am surprised that they are still available as the collection was broken up quite some time after his death, I will do my best to answer any queries about his vast and unique collection should anyone want to know more. kittyfish