• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you James....
    `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Hi Hindenburg

Here's another snippet for the FN25, it contains actual measurements!

Interestingly the turret is tilted from the vertical (assuming that the floor is horizontal), makes you wonder if this was corrected by the apparent 'nose up' flight angle of the Stirling.

James
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 5th January 2016, 11:27.

Comment

And using those dimensions - into the fuselage she goes! Still need to fiddle a good few parts

I hope to show that perhaps these turrets may not deserve the 'always sliding out of the fuselage' reputation that they have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret 12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	3666063

James
        Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 6th January 2016, 00:11.

Comment

Wonderful...if only the real thing were so easy.I tried filling in the gaps between measurements and drawings with the brother-in-law doing the layout on the computer.The panel resulting from this would' fit it's space and the curve was wrong.The only reason he could come up with is the computer and human are different as far as the curve was not constant for a reason..and the instrument sizes must vary slightly where as his computer filled in the gaps logically...no..I don't know what he meant either.

Comment

Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
            Wonderful...if only the real thing were so easy.
            Easy? Blooming Cheek!

I don't have many drawings, and fewer actual dimensions, photos are useful but can be incredibly misleading. I do have to jiggle and jostle the parts together for ages but at the end I still know that it's still mostly wrong. As you know the A/C changed constantly in detail which doesn't help!

Still it's very absorbing and I'm enjoying the results!

James

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	View 1.jpg
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	3666202Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Turret 15.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	3666203

Hi All

I've never seen a really good picture of the underside of a Stirling but modelling it is revealing what may have been there.

Here is a comparison of the best MkI underside pic I have and a comparison with the model. The tail or fin is quite distinct and a common sight, the two black dots could be where the spent cartridges fall out - might be the gun barrel ends? The bottom of the footwell is less distinct but you can sort of imagine it.

The black crescent defining the far section of the turret apeture is quite deep and shows that the turret was not 'flush' - the original photo must have been lit from below to produce this effect - that probably wasn't a common lighting arrangement I wouldn't have thought.

James

Comment

So this is what it looks like close up - possibly the gaps were plated over but it would have been a complex piece of work. Unlike other dustbin turrets the FN25 doesn't have a big flange to act as a cover

The turret drops through a circular 'I-girder' and so the oddly eccentric positioning must have been how it was. The shadow on the photo shows that the plating wasn't flush which seems to be asking for 'drag'. However, the girder seems to actually be two similar girders, one on top of the other so there would have been somewhere to put some plating and have a recess.

Taking votes on the plating - or not!

James
                Attached Files

Comment

Some images of the FN25 installation and pipework.
                  Attached Files

Comment

more shots
                    Attached Files

Comment

a few more.... Video to follow
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi

As promised this is a link to an animation of the FN25. I don't think that this was ever filmed.

https://youtu.be/RUBqaqqvk2o

James

Comment

This animation shows what it was like to be a gunner in the FN25. Still loads of work to do on the texturing - but that's for later.

It's very hard to reproduce what you would actually see - It's interesting to note that human eyes can see through more than 180 degrees and in fact the edges of your vision is the shape of a big oval! Your vision is only limited by your skull! So I've widened the field of view to try and get to a human view, agaian getting that closer will be for later.

https://youtu.be/halriSTAii0

Cheers
                          James

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]244516Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	3667174 looking fantastic James...as regards dimensions,I have some bomb door parts if you need and shapes or measurements.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Hindenburg

Thanks for the offer, I've got the bomb doors pretty much in place now, next items are the roof emergency hatch, and the rear gun ammo runs, the escape ladder and that ood step thingy for the crew to exit from the Astrodome - dimensions of parts of that would be great!

Cheers
                              James

Comment

Incredible work James!!
                                Mike

Comment

Thanks Turretboy

Next set of images will be a walk up the back of the Stirling to see the many holes and items too hard to see on the grainy pics of that period.

James

Comment

MkI - Mid Upper ladder pulled forward and pivoted down - hatch has been opened by the external handles held under the door in the fuselage next to the hatch.

Nice day - crew off for a walk I guess!

James
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Any updates James??

Comment

Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
                                        Any updates James??
                                        Hi Martin

I've been diverted a lot by damp in a friends house and other building work - but I made a good fist of some new flashing I am pleased to say!

Still working on a video showing all the holes along the top surface of the Stirling - met some issues with the way the modelling software smooths over the fuselage which involves a lot of 'fiddling' to get smooth.

Added a request to you on your facebook page for some dimensions

Cheers
                                        James

Comment

This is extraordinary - very well done James - a work of art and engineering.

If you don't mind me asking, how is this done? What software etc? You talk about being able to trace diagrams/plans? Surely they are 2D?

Many thanks, Don
                                          never fear, Smith is here

Comment

Working...
                                          X