Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stirling 3D/4D Model

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Hi Hindenburg,

    I agree, it's an odd spindly bit of metalwork isn't it? The attached isn't going to make you any less incredulous but it looks like you were right first time!


    JamesClick image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-01_17-58-05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	3665524Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-01_17-58-51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	3665525

    Comment


      #22
      Maybe it was for use just the once then...only 1/2" really thin gauge!!!!but...the other bit above the one attached to the floor??not on your schematic?.what is 92? there is no bubble sextant holder on your diagram...where as the upper fitting is separate and looks further forward to the footstep....will see if the bubble sextant fits in it this weekend....
      Last edited by hindenburg; 2nd December 2015, 01:11.
      `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
        Maybe it was for use just the once then...only 1/2" really thin gauge!!!!but...the other bit above the one attached to the floor??not on your schematic?.what is 92? there is no bubble sextant holder on your diagram...where as the upper fitting is separate and looks further forward to the footstep....will see if the bubble sextant fits in it this weekend....
        Hi Hindenberg

        The 'step' metalwork may well have been 'solid', that would have helped I suspect. Steel possibly? I guess in your line of work you would know better than me what would have worked. It seems to have two steps, the lower looks like it is a curved tube or rod to keep a right foot from slipping out/off and the upper looks like a triangular platform for the left foot. Possibly it wasn't square because that shape would have been in the way of something else?

        I'll put up the missing parts of the picture tonight. I remember vaguely that there was a mod to the Astrodome for a sextant mount? The illustration is from a very early MKI so there may be things that were added/moved/modded later. I'm not sure what other part you are referring to but there is another bit of metalwork hanging down with a 'garden gate' latch on the end, I would suspect that that was to latch the opened Astrodome/hatch cover (whichever they had in place) to stop it from swinging about.

        Cheers
        James

        Comment


          #24
          Hi Hindenburg

          Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
          what is 92?
          I've attached the whole pic and both of the description lists, 92 is what I thought might have held the Astrodome but actually holds the Observers Support ring.


          Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
          there is no bubble sextant holder on your diagram.
          Just had a better look at the previous images and 96 is Sextant Stowage.


          Cheers
          James

          Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-02_17-59-14.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	3665547Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-12-02_17-59-45.png
Views:	1
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	3665548
          Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 2nd December 2015, 19:10.

          Comment


            #25
            Hi All

            Some images of the FN25 Ventral Turret so far....

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Ventral Turret 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	3665550
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Ventral Turret 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	3665551
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Stirling FN25 Ventral Turret 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	3665552

            Comment


              #26
              Getting there - having some issues with the routing of the ammo belts at the moment - it's getting snarled with the sight arm, such little room!

              James
              Attached Files

              Comment


                #27
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	3665869Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	3665870Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	3665871 the part in question is prefix 929... Really flimsy bit of metalwork.
                Originally posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
                Hi Hindenberg

                The 'step' metalwork may well have been 'solid', that would have helped I suspect. Steel possibly? I guess in your line of work you would know better than me what would have worked. It seems to have two steps, the lower looks like it is a curved tube or rod to keep a right foot from slipping out/off and the upper looks like a triangular platform for the left foot. Possibly it wasn't square because that shape would have been in the way of something else?

                I'll put up the missing parts of the picture tonight. I remember vaguely that there was a mod to the Astrodome for a sextant mount? The illustration is from a very early MKI so there may be things that were added/moved/modded later. I'm not sure what other part you are referring to but there is another bit of metalwork hanging down with a 'garden gate' latch on the end, I would suspect that that was to latch the opened Astrodome/hatch cover (whichever they had in place) to stop it from swinging about.

                Cheers
                James
                Last edited by hindenburg; 24th December 2015, 13:09.
                `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                Comment


                  #28
                  Lovely work on the ventral turret btw....have some photos of a restored one somewhere if they're of any use??
                  `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
                    the part in question is prefix 929... Really flimsy bit of metalwork.
                    Yes very flimsy! Not seen the 9 prefix on anything before either, very interesting. Why don't you build a new one? Possibly you already are to go with your fuselage section - it would provide all the answers concerning strength I guess!


                    James

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
                      Lovely work on the ventral turret btw....have some photos of a restored one somewhere if they're of any use??
                      Hi Hindenburg

                      They would be extremely helpful - I do have a copy of Flypast October 2007 if they are the pics you mean, they are enourmously useful. But anything else would be great!


                      James

                      Comment


                        #31
                        I supplied some bits to help restore the only surviving FN25 when it was being restored by restorations unlimited...it was put on display for the day and I went up and did a few 35mm shots.It was a bit dark so I don't know how clear the internal shots are.I will try and locate them over the holiday for you!!
                        `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment


                          #32
                          Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
                          I supplied some bits to help restore the only surviving FN25 when it was being restored by restorations unlimited...it was put on display for the day and I went up and did a few 35mm shots.It was a bit dark so I don't know how clear the internal shots are.I will try and locate them over the holiday for you!!
                          Phew! Lucky you! They would be superb, it's the same Turret in the FlyPast article obviously, Whatever you have will help!

                          I hope thet the turret is around somewhere still and that one day it will emerge into the daylight.



                          James

                          Comment


                            #33
                            No,these are photos I took myself James.
                            `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                            Comment


                              #34
                              Hi All

                              Finally I've completed the ammo belt animation of the FN25 turret! The rest will be finished soon!


                              https://youtu.be/OfHjDMIvRTQ


                              James

                              Comment


                                #35
                                Out of interest...where di you get the info from to do all the labelling and control panel layout??? It's spot on,and there's not a lot of info on FN 25s out there.!!
                                `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                                Comment


                                  #36
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	3665990 I found all the photos..not brilliant light wise as my camera flash packed in that day.I'll take them in to work and scan them for you.They're a lot more in focus than this I might add..took this in a badly lit kitchen with the iPad!!!!
                                  `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                                  Comment


                                    #37
                                    Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
                                    Out of interest...where di you get the info from to do all the labelling and control panel layout??? It's spot on,and there's not a lot of info on FN 25s out there.!!
                                    Hi Hindenburg

                                    Thank heaven for the Aircraft Publications, so helpful, along with the fact that I can simply 'trace' any drawing with my 3D program meaning that the result can be fairly accurate (but are generally always wrong in fact - but not by much). These from AP1659A Frazer-Nash Gun Turrets.

                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	3665991Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	3665992


                                    Also thank heaven that the RAFM have thousands of these A.P.s - for me its a problem to get there but worth it.

                                    I read that the chaps at the Restoration company you mentioned couldn't work out the electrical wiring (there's none coming out of their Rotating Joint) that seems odd given that the wiring is clear from the AP and you can see it on the attached pics. The AP reveals a great deal of info, if you happen to have a turret to restore.

                                    I've also developed a 'font' which closely resembles that used on the Stirling, that helps too.

                                    James
                                    Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 2nd January 2016, 18:45.

                                    Comment


                                      #38
                                      Wow..that's interesting...do you mind if I use these images in the Turret section of my Stirling bits page ???
                                      `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                                      Comment


                                        #39
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	3666025Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	3666026looks good to me..again I'll scan these properly for you.Wonder where this turret ended up in the end?????
                                        Last edited by hindenburg; 3rd January 2016, 15:15.
                                        `Information is the currency of democracy`. Thomas Jefferson

                                        Comment


                                          #40
                                          Originally posted by hindenburg View Post
                                          Wow..that's interesting...do you mind if I use these images in the Turret section of my Stirling bits page ???
                                          Not at all, these are from the RAFM copy.

                                          Looking forward to your pics too.


                                          James
                                          Last edited by jamesinnewcastl; 3rd January 2016, 17:44.

                                          Comment


                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X