Flying Legends...position to watch

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

First let me say you all have taken beautiful photos of the aircraft at the airshow.
Just a question about where best to watch from.
Its been several years since my friends and I have attended the Flying Legends Airshow, this many times over the years.
We always found a place to sit between the Land Warfare and American Air Museum, around the old small railroad tracks.
Are they still there and is it still possible to view the airshow from this area.
Any thoughts or ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

I think you still can. It is the area from the Land Wafare hall to the end of the airfield that is now blocked off. However, some years ago they changed the parking arrangements which mean that only the disabled and a few others can park up the east end of the airfield. This means that on a busy airshow day, if you are at the western end near where you have been before, it is packed like sardines.

It will be much better irrespective of where you park to walk up to the eastern end where there is likely to be much more space and if you take photographs of flying aircraft , better for that too as they are likely to be closer at the end of the crowd line when they come round the corner and in better light.

Member for

9 years 1 month

Me and my mate Brian have watched from the Eastern end for a few years now - due to his 'dicky ticker' - which gets us in to the disabled area !
If the aircraft are taking off from that end they get very close to the fence as they taxi down, and it is very easy to get excellent photos with just a compact camera as they trundle by. Have to poke your camera between the fence hoggers though !
I have noticed that the excellent photos posted on here of the displays are amazingly similar to my own - position wise, although not of such good quality and sharpness. There is also a lot more free space around there - so don't tell anybody else about it OK !!!

Member for

6 years 7 months

From the direction of the wind on the weather app, it seems aircraft will takeoff from airspace going towards the tank bit. This should mean that a spot on the fence next to ARCo / Airspace would be good? You can get good photos anywhere along the crowd line, just taxiing shots are bit of a hit and miss

Member for

19 years 8 months

Thank you for the replies.
My friends and I always attempted to get a place near the taxiway. The beautiful sound of the engines and the noise of the braking action (Sally B) is unforgivable.
We will discuss what is best, east or west. Maybe depends on where we will / must park.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Former Tank Bank, although closed off now - there's good spots there. If you want the aircraft almost going over your head, thats where you go. If you want the sound and the oil you go down towards M11. I've done all. East, west and middle. I have concluded that the only place to be for me is by the Tank Bank.

Member for

19 years 8 months

1000x Thanks
My friends and I, 14 in total, were at the Flying Legends both days.
Arrived early, parking just fine, and found a good place to sit and watch.
Fantastic. Both in the air and on the ground.:applause:
Took advantage of the Flight Line Walk. Its then you realize how many beautiful aircraft were there. Its a long "flight line"!
Congratulations to the Museum, the organizers, the owners & operators, crews and staff. Job well done!
We enjoyed the reenactments, and those dressed up in period costumes, esp Laurel & Hardy in their old Ford.:applause:
We had a bit of "Spaceship Enterprise---beam me up Scotty" when one of the GI Sgt's which was standing along the flight line in front of the American fighters pulled out his iphone and starting typing away!
Thanks again & see you next time,
Mike
[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMGP0496.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t2.26 MB ID:\t3869914","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3869914","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMGP0681.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t1.57 MB ID:\t3869915","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3869915","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMGP0761.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t1.74 MB ID:\t3869916","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3869916","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tIMGP0963.JPG Views:\t0 Size:\t1.37 MB ID:\t3869917","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"3869917","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

Attachments