Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CVF Construction

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • graeme65
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2008
    • 63

    Building one CVF and designing a new smaller carrier would cost a hell of a lot more than two CVFs. The carriers are really relatively cheap, and most of the cost has either been spent or would be lost in compensation for the breaking of contracts, the savngs that are to be had are in getting the aircraft selection right.

    I seem to remember that this is an army man, who clearly has little knowlege of wider defence issues.

    Comment

    • 90inFIRST
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2008
      • 240

      How much coal is left in Wales?
      :diablo:[/QUOTE]


      @4845 mt or 300 years worth

      Comment

      • Grim901
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • May 2009
        • 1143

        Originally posted by 90inFIRST View Post
        How much coal is left in Wales?
        :diablo:
        Huh, thought they'd forgotten to pace themselves and had dug it all out by now.

        Back to the nuclear thing, the CVFs have 110MW installed capacity, so 2-3 of these "shed sized" reactors would be necessary based on the particular design output.

        Comment

        • steely dan
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Oct 2009
          • 104

          Navy's new carriers take shape in Scotland
          Build programme 'well under way'...

          The Aircraft Carrier Alliance (ACA) is forging ahead on the Queen Elizabeth (QE) Class, having recently made contract awards worth 325 million that will drive momentum into the ongoing build of HMS Queen Elizabeth.

          On 14 January, Secretary of State for Scotland, Jim Murphy MP visited Govan to welcome the contracts which have been placed in Scotland. Following the visit, he said

          "These contract awards are great news for Glasgow, the Scottish economy and Scottish jobs. There has never been any doubt how important the aircraft carriers are to Scotland as a multibillion pound project securing thousands of jobs."

          full article: http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item_10274.html




          HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH takes shape in Govan

          Comment

          • Fedaykin
            Fueled by Tea
            • Dec 2005
            • 5295

            Originally posted by steely dan View Post
            Navy's new carriers take shape in Scotland
            Build programme 'well under way'...

            The Aircraft Carrier Alliance (ACA) is forging ahead on the Queen Elizabeth (QE) Class, having recently made contract awards worth 325 million that will drive momentum into the ongoing build of HMS Queen Elizabeth.

            On 14 January, Secretary of State for Scotland, Jim Murphy MP visited Govan to welcome the contracts which have been placed in Scotland. Following the visit, he said

            "These contract awards are great news for Glasgow, the Scottish economy and Scottish jobs. There has never been any doubt how important the aircraft carriers are to Scotland as a multibillion pound project securing thousands of jobs."

            full article: http://www.shippingtimes.co.uk/item_10274.html




            HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH takes shape in Govan
            A good sight to see!

            I hope pictures like this silence the unnamed pundits who like to release statements stating the carriers should be cancelled or are under threat.

            I noticed recently a couple of statements released to the press from these unnamed sources. The first one was about how the increadibly cheap to operate (just 3million a year - and peanuts in the grand scheme of things) Battle of Britain Memorial flight was under threat for financial reasons and then the next day a statement from a nobody on the inside that the new carriers were hyper expensive to buy in the modern world of counter insurgency in A-Stan and were under threat/should be cancelled. Then within days you get the head of the army stating that money should be spent on building up the Army for counter insurgency in A-Stan. (Considering that the target is to be out of A-stan by 2015 I wonder about that...)....Conveniant timing methinks!
            Last edited by Fedaykin; 22nd January 2010, 23:56.
            Because sometimes in life we need a bit of fun

            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXNAp3mKepc

            Comment

            • harryRIEDL
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2006
              • 375

              Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post
              A good sight to see!

              I hope pictures like this silence the unnamed pundits who like to release statements stating the carriers should be cancelled or are under threat.

              I noticed recently a couple of statements released to the press from these unnamed sources. The first one was about how the increadibly cheap to operate (just 3million a year - and peanuts in the grand scheme of things) Battle of Britain Memorial flight was under threat for financial reasons and then the next day a statement from a nobody on the inside that the new carriers were hyper expensive to buy in the modern world of counter insurgency in A-Stan and were under threat/should be cancelled. Then within days you get the head of the army stating that money should be spent on building up the Army for counter insurgency in A-Stan. (Considering that the target is to be out of A-stan by 2015 I wonder about that...)....Conveniant timing methinks!
              looking at the image realy places it to scale as a it looks like most of a T-45 is in the background you can realy see what huge ship its going to be when completed.
              To Be or not TO be That is The Question you all should know the writer of that quote

              always look on the bright side of life monty python

              Comment

              • kev 99
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Aug 2008
                • 1535

                Originally posted by harryRIEDL View Post
                looking at the image realy places it to scale as a it looks like most of a T-45 is in the background you can realy see what huge ship its going to be when completed.
                I think that's just one of the middle hull sections, but you're right it does look pretty damn impressive all the same.

                Comment

                • roberto_yeager
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Feb 2006
                  • 942

                  Well at the end good news for the QE!!

                  1Saludo
                  Revista Ejercitos, sometime She will back...

                  Comment

                  • snake65
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Apr 2005
                    • 770

                    A better pic
                    Attached Files

                    Comment

                    • Bager1968
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • May 2005
                      • 3635

                      Originally posted by kev 99 View Post
                      Originally posted by harryRIEDL View Post
                      looking at the image realy places it to scale as a it looks like most of a T-45 is in the background you can realy see what huge ship its going to be when completed.
                      I think that's just one of the middle hull sections, but you're right it does look pretty damn impressive all the same.

                      Elsewhere, it has been identified as one of the aft sections of HMS Duncan D37, 6th T-45 destroyer.
                      Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of the pub, when Serbia bumps into Austria, and spills Austria's pint.

                      Comment

                      • F/A-18RN
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • May 2005
                        • 256

                        By comparrison, how far did they get constructionwise back in the 40s with HMS Malta and her sisters before the plug was pulled?

                        Comment

                        • swerve
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jun 2005
                          • 13612

                          Very different situation. We'd been spending half of GDP on the armed forces, building up debts as fast as Gordon Brown has this year, but year after year, despite liquidating assets as fast as we could. We had more ships already at sea than we could sustain. The choice wasn't between Malta et al & no major ships, it was which of the plethora of already built, building, & planned ships to keep or finish, & which to sell or scrap. Our national credit was exhausted. We had to cut, & cut hugely: 80-90%, & fast, or the economy would collapse.

                          We're now spending just over 2% of GDP on defence, & the choice is between completing two carriers which we've already paid a fair proportion of the cost of, & no large surface ships at all. We can choose whether to cut or not. The cost difference between having these ships & not having them is lost in the margins of error in spending by other departments.
                          Juris praecepta sunt haec: honeste vivere, alterum non laedere, suum cuique tribuere.
                          Justinian

                          Comment

                          • 90inFIRST
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Oct 2008
                            • 240

                            Originally posted by Bager1968 View Post
                            Elsewhere, it has been identified as one of the aft sections of HMS Duncan D37, 6th T-45 destroyer.
                            Its the only one still under construction?

                            Comment

                            • MisterQ
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2008
                              • 475

                              More's the pity

                              Comment

                              • Frosty
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2008
                                • 334

                                Bow being floated out looks pretty big to me

                                Comment

                                • Obi Wan Russell
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Oct 2006
                                  • 522

                                  Originally posted by F/A-18RN View Post
                                  By comparrison, how far did they get constructionwise back in the 40s with HMS Malta and her sisters before the plug was pulled?
                                  None of the Malta class were ever laid down, and it is unlikely steel was ever cut for any of them. Too late in the war to make a difference, and the shipyards had higher priorities. By comparison, at the rate the shipyards are going ahead with the two carriers, they could have all the sections ready for assembly before the election!
                                  "Without Organic Air Power at Sea, you don't have a Navy, you have a Coast Guard."

                                  Comment

                                  • F/A-18RN
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • May 2005
                                    • 256

                                    Originally posted by Obi Wan Russell View Post
                                    None of the Malta class were ever laid down, and it is unlikely steel was ever cut for any of them. Too late in the war to make a difference, and the shipyards had higher priorities. By comparison, at the rate the shipyards are going ahead with the two carriers, they could have all the sections ready for assembly before the election!
                                    So the Cancelled CVA-01 actually progressed further than the Maltas with components such as what became Ark Royal's waste Catapult actually being built?

                                    Comment

                                    • Obi Wan Russell
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Oct 2006
                                      • 522

                                      Some long lead items for CVA-01 probably did find their way onto Ark Royal, her water cooled JBDs for a start but not the waist catapult, it was a 199ft stroke BS5 whilst the CVA-01 class would have had 250ft stroke BS6 catapults. The DAX II arrestor engines could have been part of the CVA order too, but Ark Royal's refit was planned anyway as aprt of the CVA program, along with a full upgrade for Eagle. As the three new CVAs could not be built simltaneously, two of the existing carriers would have to be 'Phantomised' as stop gaps until CVA-02 and CVA-03 could be built. So equipment like water cooled JBDs, DAX II wires etc would have been ordered for more than one ship. Eagle received a single DAX II wire for Phantom trials around 1967-68 in addition to the four fitted to Ark Royal. AFAIK, no BS6 catapults were built once the CVA program was cancelled. The scisors lift design found it's way into the Invincible class, but these units were not ordered until several years later. Like the Malta class, no steel was cut for the hulls of the CVA-01 class carriers.
                                      Last edited by Obi Wan Russell; 2nd April 2010, 19:06.
                                      "Without Organic Air Power at Sea, you don't have a Navy, you have a Coast Guard."

                                      Comment

                                      • Colombamike
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Nov 2009
                                        • 130

                                        There is some (doubtfull) hope for the hms queen elizabeth
                                        but personally, I have no more to the prince of wales (only a dream)
                                        A 130-160 million $ (?200?) piece for the F-35, the british will never have enough money to buy 50-70 aircraft.

                                        We are heading toward 25/35 aircraft ... and 1 aircraft carrier ... in the best case....
                                        As for the entire cancellation of the program, it is still possible, expecting the end of 2010
                                        Visit my blog on news about all combat fleet of the world !
                                        http://combatfleetoftheworld.blogspot.com/

                                        Comment

                                        • Stan hyd
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • May 2009
                                          • 605

                                          Originally posted by Colombamike View Post
                                          There is some (doubtfull) hope for the hms queen elizabeth
                                          but personally, I have no more to the prince of wales (only a dream)
                                          A 130-160 million $ (?200?) piece for the F-35, the british will never have enough money to buy 50-70 aircraft.

                                          We are heading toward 25/35 aircraft ... and 1 aircraft carrier ... in the best case....
                                          As for the entire cancellation of the program, it is still possible, expecting the end of 2010
                                          dont agree with any of this. Both aircraft carriers are coming and only one will be at sea - 60 F-35 would be enough for that situation. Not great though if you need to surge and put both to sea.

                                          Comment

                                          Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                          Collapse

                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X