First french Horizon frigate at sea

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

DDG Forbin begins its sea trials

Original post

Member for

18 years 5 months

pooh pooh pooh, anyone seen anything as ugly as this (except for Maresesti)??? Those ugly funnels and masts... YUK!
All in all probably not a bad ship if everything works.

Member for

18 years 4 months

hey, Marasesti is a good loking ship...in certain angles :rolleyes: ;)
Anyway, I've never really understud the idea of the two OTO guns in the B position...wouldn't one single gun, bigger in calibre in the A position (and to move the Sylvester VLS more closer to the bridge) be more cost'effective??

Member for

17 years 8 months

hey, Marasesti is a good loking ship...in certain angles :rolleyes: ;)
Anyway, I've never really understud the idea of the two OTO guns in the B position...wouldn't one single gun, bigger in calibre in the A position (and to move the Sylvester VLS more closer to the bridge) be more cost'effective??

can some one post a pic of this Mărăşeşti class, I'm very curious to how ugly it is

I think it is a good looking ship.

Member for

18 years

she looks very top heavy or is it just me?

Member for

18 years 3 months

The general outline really is very similar to the T45 isn't it ?

Member for

17 years 11 months

No stealth??? No way!!! That thing has gotta have a large signature, right? :o

Member for

18 years 11 months

pooh pooh pooh, anyone seen anything as ugly as this (except for Maresesti)??? Those ugly funnels and masts... YUK!
All in all probably not a bad ship if everything works.

It's just De Zeven Provincen pushed to the utmost in order to bring radars as high as possible (and even more than sensible) :diablo:

Member for

24 years 2 months

The general outline really is very similar to the T45 isn't it ?

Only in the most general sense i.e sig reduction slabs and a tall mainmast!. Everything else...yeesh...I'm with Neptune - thats a butt-ugly ship.

Romanian frigate Maresesti only slightly more scary to see on the high seas!
http://www.fortele-navale.ro/media/foto/marinaFN/co50_m.jpg

Member for

18 years

there are similarity to the TYPE 45, I just think the 45 has a neater look

The Romanian frigate Maresesti looks like an exercise in how many weapons can we pile on before it looks crowed

Attachments

Member for

17 years 8 months

Only in the most general sense i.e sig reduction slabs and a tall mainmast!. Everything else...yeesh...I'm with Neptune - thats a butt-ugly ship.

Romanian frigate Maresesti only slightly more scary to see on the high seas!

thanks for the pictures! I don't think its that ugly.. just looks very typical Eastern Bloc. Did the Romanians build this themselves or is it something some other country built that they bought? sorry i'm kinda noob with these things :)

Member for

24 years 2 months

Khazaria,

Not a problem!. Guess what you've written there proves Gollevainens point about it looking sort of ok from some angles!. If I could find a beam shot you'd see Neptunes point a lot clearer - the thing looks like a housing estate built on a very unexciting hull!. Rather uninspiring!.

This is what Andrew Toppan says bout the design (which I think is a touch harsh - but probably accurate)

Marasesti patrol destroyer

Displacement: 5,790 tons full load
Dimensions: 144.6 x 14.80 x 4.90 meters/474.4 x 48.5 x 16 feet
Propulsion: 4 diesels, 4 shafts, 32,000 bhp, 27 knots
Crew: 270
Radar: MR-302 Strut Curve air/surf search
Sonar: MF hull
Fire Control: Harpun/Plank Shave missile targeting
EW: 2 PK-16 decoy
Aviation: aft flight deck and hangar for 2 Aloutte-III helicopters
Armament: 8 SS-N-2C SSM, 2 dual 76.2mm/59cal DP, 2 dual 30 mm AA, 2 SA-N-5 SAM positions, 2 RBU-6000 ASW RL
Concept/Program: A completely Romanian design. Was laid up almost immediately after commissioning as she was found to be extremely unstable due to excess topweight. Extensively modified 1988-1992 to partially correct topweight problems. Of limited combat value, as she lacks effective SAMs & modern SSMs, and has no centralized combat system. A limited modernization is planned, for completion in 2006.

Builders: Santierul 2 Mai, Mangalia.

Number Name Year FLT Homeport Notes
11 Marasesti 1985/92 BLK Mangalia ex-Muntenia

Member for

20 years 4 months

Forbin certainly looks good , certainly not the most attractive but she is definately not ugly neither is she Top Heavy. There is some thinking in placing those mast high , Should beneft her LR Radars , she has some interesting shapes for mast , funnel etc.

The concept of twin main gun is interesting , All in All a Nice ship.

Member for

18 years 5 months

I think one of the most points that benefits to the ugliness of the ship is the funnel arrangement, one in front to port, one in the back to starboard... And the shape of those funnels isn't exactly "naval" looking either. Maybe they can build an apartment block like that in a city (and they'd probably win a prize with it).

Golle, I still have to figure out which angle that would be... One 90° on top maybe?? Or the lower angles from underwater? Damn, a thorne in my eye!

Member for

18 years 4 months

http://www.nato.int/pictures/2004/040626b/b040626x.jpg

It can be placed so that the all the superstructures manifest some sort of menacy rather than poor seakeeping....

Thougth In Convays all the fighting ships 1947-1995 has a picture of it whit errosleysly dimensions and the ship looks there alot longer thus not making it look much more normal "eastern" big combatant....

Anyway Marasesti was build in the grandiose and megalomanic later years of Chaucescus rule. I heard rumour that it was orginally laid down as passenger cruiser but then converted to a warship thats is completely out of any tactical purpose, its weapon and radar systems are more like of Tarantul-1 class missile Fac than of destroyer size ship...no AAW nor ASW. One thing that intrest is that it is usually quoted whit diesel engines that can drive it up to 32 knots :eek: :eek:

Member for

18 years 3 months

Of course Romania now has a couple of Batch 2 Type 22, I believe that there are still some aspects to sort out in respects of armament.

They are fitted with a 76mm Super Rapid and MICA VL but as of yet no surface to surface missile. I think I read somewhere that the Romanian navy hadn't yet chosen a anti ship missile type.

Member for

17 years 11 months

The reason for selecting a rotating radar antenna (as in Horizon and Type 45) as opposed to the slab type SPY was to enable it to be mounted higher up to increase performance and retain good stability ( a problem if you mount the SPY the way Spain does on the F100). And these ships do have low radar signature technology, they're as stealthy as any other warships of that size.

Member for

18 years 4 months

Romanian Navy Type-22 Frigate don't have any kind of weapons on them except the OTO Melara gun. Supposely the additional weapons will be addded during seccond upgrade program 2007-2008.

Marasesti was launched as pasager carrier. at least the hull. Then designated Cruiser -> Destroyer and finally Frigate. And no way in hell can't reach more than 28kt on its engines. The ship server more likelly as experience gathering for the Military ships building for Romania. In my opinion the Tetal2 looks a lot better than Marasesti.
As a mention , not a single Romanian Navy ship has a SAM system mounted (except some SA-7 MANPADS). ASW was presentin the orm of sonars and grenade launchers.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Romanian Navy Type-22 Frigate don't have any kind of weapons on them except the OTO Melara gun. Supposely the additional weapons will be addded during seccond upgrade program 2007-2008.

Marasesti was launched as pasager carrier. at least the hull. Then designated Cruiser -> Destroyer and finally Frigate. And no way in hell can't reach more than 28kt on its engines. The ship server more likelly as experience gathering for the Military ships building for Romania. In my opinion the Tetal2 looks a lot better than Marasesti.
As a mention , not a single Romanian Navy ship has a SAM system mounted (except some SA-7 MANPADS). ASW was presentin the orm of sonars and grenade launchers.

I have seen several sources claiming that the Romanian Type-22's have VL-Mica fitted, with the VLS cells being located where the Sea-wolf radar director would have originally been mounted.

Member for

18 years 4 months

There is none yet. You could check our Navy site. There is not a single mention about it. They only say that in the seccond stage modif missiles will be present.