Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Russian Navy Thread 2.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMFS
    Rank 4 Registered User
    • Feb 2018

Do not know if this is old news but taking a look at the drawing shown in the laying of the newer 11711 LPDs and based on known dimensions of the depicted Ka-52, the vessels will measure ca. 160 m in length and extrapolating its weight, they would be over 15 kT. Considering previous statements and the capacity of the Yantar shipyard (up to 165 m and 14 kT IIRC), it may look indeed possible that the newer ships are on the Galicia / Rotterdam class dimensions and far above the current 11711 units. The former carry up to 6 medium helicopters, that would be a significant increase in capability and a reasonable progress until the newer LHDs are developed

Click image for larger version

Name:	11711_190424_01.jpg
Views:	2537
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	3865347

Comment

• Vitte
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Mar 2016

The destroyer of the Pacific Fleet, the BYSTRYY, returns from an exercise to find a submarine in the Sea of Japan. June 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vitalicus75

Comment

• JangBoGo
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Jan 2011

Pr.955A Borei-A class

^ thats really something

955A/955 comparison....the evolution is similar to the 667A-series/B/BD/BDR/BDRM, project number remains the same with the alphabets making all the difference, typical of Russian upgrades across its designs/armaments.

Comment

• JangBoGo
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2011

955A

Comment

• JangBoGo
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2011

955/955A must be the most sort after sub by agencies and yet we have so much exposure to the newest beast. Its 2019 and Indians are yet to get a good view of the Arihant class sub.

Comment

• QuantumFX
              What?
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by JangBoGo View Post
              Pr.955A Borei-A class

WOW! Just WOW!

Comment

• Tango III
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Sep 2006

Shipbuilders will deliver the Project 1144 heavy nuclear-powered missile-carrying cruiser Admiral Nakhimov to the Russian Navy in 2022 after its repairs and upgrade, Sevmash Shipyard Chief Mikhail Budnichenko told TASS at the Army-2019 international military and technical forum on Thursday.

https://tass.com/defense/1065876

Comment

• XB-70
                  Rank 4 Registered User
                  • May 2018

14 sailors killed due to fire on Russian submersible. May they RIP.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...stry-1.3944327

If the initial reports are right and it was the Losharik, then it means one of their bottom dwellers (the ones who investigate ocean floor data cables and sonar arrays) might be inop for a while and that half of its compliment died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...arine_Losharik

Comment

• Vitte
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Mar 2016

The large anti-submarine ship of the Pacific Fleet "Admiral Panteleev", having left the anchor, leaves the berth. July, 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Vitalicus75

Comment

• JangBoGo
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2011

Some eye candy stuff from IMDS 2019

Some background info from Army-2019
                      http://mil.today/2019/Navy55/
                      Krylov State Research Center (KSRC)
                      In his interview to Mil.Press, director of KSRC Pavel Filippov said the mid-sized aircraft carrier held an intermediate position between the heavy Project 23000E ship (displacement 95,000-100,000 tons) and Storm-KM multirole carrier (displacement 44,000 tons). It is planned to have a combined powerplant: nuclear plant similar to that of the Project 855 Yasen submarine will act as a sustainer, and the gas turbine based on M90 engine will serve as a booster.

Designers told Mil.Press Today that the model of mid-sized aircraft carrier has already passed a range of trials in the testing basin of the Krylov center.
                      Project 23000E ship (displacement 95,000-100,000 tons) -- we have already seen it, so not posting

Storm-KM multirole carrier (displacement 44,000 tons) -- Somewhat my fav among the three.

This is exactly how project 1143 optimised as a true aircraft carrier would have looked like, Its like a wish come true. Almost as I visualized for a 45,000 tonne carrier,
                      The design retained the two deck elevators, in addition to an additional deck edge stern elevator. The design even have a sort of well deck for docking is available at stern.

Comment

• JangBoGo
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2011

Project 11430E

pic from
                        https://twitter.com/MuxelAero

Comment

• JangBoGo
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2011

Pr.955A, with every iteration, its gets better, even in terms of look.

Comment

• LMFS
                            Rank 4 Registered User
                            • Feb 2018

Some eye candy stuff from IMDS 2019

Storm-KM multirole carrier (displacement 44,000 tons) -- Somewhat my fav among the three.
                            But the intermediate carrier has not been shown... the one with 76 kT that was expected on Army, then on IMDS. In the meantime, media has gone silent about it...

This is exactly how project 1143 optimised as a true aircraft carrier would have looked like, Its like a wish come true. Almost as I visualized for a 45,000 tonne carrier,
                            The design retained the two deck elevators, in addition to an additional deck edge stern elevator. The design even have a sort of well deck for docking is available at stern.
                            Thanks for the picture of the hull, the best one I have seen until now of the semicatamaran layout. A breakthrough in shipbuilding.

The carrier has a bigger flight deck than Kuznetsov with 70% of the displacement. But the conventional propulsion and somewhat limited air wing are the downsides. VMF wants a bigger vessel, with more aircraft and nuclear propulsion. This was the intermediate carrier mentioned above and in your article, but it has not been shown. This would be the one that is most promising IMHO.

BTW the "well deck" is just the space for the stern elevator, as far as I see

As to the Manatee, it is nothing but a hack. The same old Ulyanovsk model with names changed and the superstructure of project 23000E from 2015... embarrassing.

Comment

• JangBoGo
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMFS View Post

But the intermediate carrier has not been shown... the one with 76 kT that was expected on Army, then on IMDS. In the meantime, media has gone silent about it...
                              Shouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be an optimised 11435 design.

Thanks for the picture of the hull, the best one I have seen until now of the semicatamaran layout. A breakthrough in shipbuilding.

The amphibious model displayed above the carrier showcased similar layout among recent Russian designs.

The carrier has a bigger flight deck than Kuznetsov with 70% of the displacement. But the conventional propulsion and somewhat limited air wing are the downsides. VMF wants a bigger vessel, with more aircraft and nuclear propulsion. This was the intermediate carrier mentioned above and in your article, but it has not been shown. This would be the one that is most promising IMHO.
                              To be honest this is the best design that have come out. A medium sized carrier with absolutely no "shortcomings" that was attributed to the Russian STOBAR designs like - lack of simultaneous t/o and trap, lack of deck space for aircrafts etc. It shows what a properly optimised 40-45k t carrier would look like. Its much much better than the Cavour based IAC-I, Charles DeGaulle, current 11435/Kuznetsov design and rival the newer QE class carrier.

It would be good if Russian Navy build few of them (after all they had 4 x 1143) and I would surely love to see this design for Indian Navy. Other potential customer could be Brazil among others.

But a slight dissapointment is the twin shaft layout. I would have loved to see a 4 shaft layout. Thrust from 4 props at lower rpm will be missed.

BTW the "well deck" is just the space for the stern elevator, as far as I see
                              I meant the port side cutting, not s/b opening for elevators.The original 1143 series also had those cuttings in those area.
                              Came across few more clearer snaps when the model was first displayed and there is no well deck. But the overall things looks good, Very satisfied to see an optimised 11434/11430 successor/medium sized carrier design.

As to the Manatee, it is nothing but a hack. The same old Ulyanovsk model with names changed and the superstructure of project 23000E from 2015... embarrassing.
                              Basing a new design on 11437 is not at all bad.
                              Last edited by JangBoGo; 21st July 2019, 15:20.

Comment

• JangBoGo
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2011

http://mil.today/2019/Navy60/
                                Full displacement of Cayman ships will make 8,000 tons, length is 150 meters, beam is 19.5 meters, draft is 4.5 meters. The ship will accelerate up to 18 knots, the crew will include 120 men.

Caymans air group will consist of ten assault transport helicopters and two search and rescue ones. In addition, the ship will accommodate up to six landing boats lifting at least 45 tons each.

As a reminder, two landing ships were keel-laid at Yantar Shipyard in April 2019; both are of the second series of Project 11711 named Vladimir Andreev and Vasily Trushin. The ships are to join the Russian Navy in 2023 and 2024, respectively.

After nearly half a decade, an updated 11711E design comes out. But I feel for the years they invested into this new design, an optimised 1174 design would have served better, which had larger capacity of around 40+ tanks or 80 APCs. Anyways better than nothing,

Pr.1174

Turkish Bayraktar class LST, similar to the 1174 Ivan Rogov class, but around half its tonnage. A modernised/upgraded/optimised 1174 design could have looked similar.

Comment

• LMFS
                                  Rank 4 Registered User
                                  • Feb 2018

Shouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be an optimised 11435 design.
                                  Check this out.

https://tass.ru/armiya-i-opk/6593379

It would be also a semicatamaran with CONAG propulsion, springboard + catapults and capacity for 100 planes in 76 kT. Impossible to reach such capacity with a conventional hull, so it is not a modification of the Kuznetsov, though I assume it could have broadly similar lines due to the springboard.

The amphibious model displayed above the carrier showcased similar layout among recent Russian designs.
                                  The Lavina had some sort of tunnel between side hulls, but it is not exactly as the patent for the semicatamaran is described. There the transition between the monohull at the bow and catamaran at the stern is more progressive. But maybe similar benefits are obtained, I have not read anything about that particular hull design.

To be honest this is the best design that have come out. A medium sized carrier with absolutely no "shortcomings" that was attributed to the Russian STOBAR designs like - lack of simultaneous t/o and trap, lack of deck space for aircrafts etc. It shows what a properly optimised 40-45k t carrier would look like. Its much much better than the Cavour based IAC-I, Charles DeGaulle, current 11435/Kuznetsov design and rival the newer QE class carrier.
                                  The guys from Krylov define it explicitly as a light carrier, other than that I agree it has obvious advantages due to the huge flight deck.

Now imagine that layout with almost a 50% more displacement and nuclear propulsion.... that would be a serious deal.

It would be good if Russian Navy build few of them (after all they had 4 x 1143) and I would surely love to see this design for Indian Navy. Other potential customer could be Brazil among others.
                                  In fact it would be a great design for export, true. Cannot wrap my head around India dealing with UK for the design of a third carrier when this wonder is available for co-development.

Basing a new design on 11437 is not at all bad.
                                  Its parameters have been thoroughly surpassed by Krylovs proposals. But the real issue here is that we are not talking about a new design based on a 11437, but the very 11437 with a new superstructure, taken directly from another past proposal. They did not even bother tweaking the model a bit to avoid insulting the public. I mean, it has the same soviet era anti-ship missile wells, old CIWS systems etc etc. Literally the same 30 or 40 years old model from the Ulyanovsk and hence nothing to see as far as a "new design" is concerned.

Comment

• rpgtype7v
                                    Rank 4 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2018

here...
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	D_1I03zUwAA2RHu.jpg:large.jpg
Views:	565
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	3869996

catamaran design has no catapult and no awacs wing and limited planes due to small and shallow hangar!

Comment

• JangBoGo
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Jan 2011

I will leave this striking pic here.... a winner alongside a wasteful design!

There was one more pic that I came across from a different angle/side, but cant find it now.
                                      Last edited by JangBoGo; 20th August 2019, 14:30.

Comment

• JangBoGo
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jan 2011

US has carried out Tomahawk cruise missile test from land based Mk-41 launcher.
                                        https://twitter.com/mattkorda/status...03849707118593
                                        The real kicker here is the Mk-41 launcher. Russia has said for years that those deployed in Europe could launch Tomahawks, and therefore violate INF. US denied it. 16 days after the INF Treaty died, what does the US do? Launch a Tomahawk from a ground-based Mk-41 launcher.
                                        This shows why Russia needs Pr.11441 upgraded Kirov class and (follow it up with) Pr.23560 Lider class cruisers more than ever before. The only solution to US deployment (which the Russians already foresaw) is by having a 24x7 presence off the DC coast with cruise missiles. Nothing else will do.

Comment

• haavarla
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Dec 2008

I will leave this striking pic here.... a winner alongside a wasteful design!

There was one more pic that I came across from a different angle/side, but cant find it now.
                                          What kind of ship is behind the 531?
                                          Thanks

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X